Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HRM Question from a newbie
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and have searched for this info but could not find it. Does anyone have a review of the new Timex HRMs, specifically the Bodylink (without the GPS info) and how they compare to the Polar HRMs?

Thanks, drn92
Quote Reply
Re: HRM Question from a newbie [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Polar s710i and think it's wonderful. I haven't used a Timex HRM, but have heard others mention problems with interference. What are you going to use it for? Running, biking, both? Are you going to get the GPS at some point? If you are going to use it for running and biking, go for a Polar. If you are going to use it for just running, and are thinking about getting the GPS also, then the Timex would be better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I like the Timex more than the Polars. Many may disagree, but that's ok. Never had problems with interference (did with Polar). Had better reading in colder weather with Timex. Polar has a thinner strap which is nice, but you get used to the Timex one just fine. Timex is cheaper as well I think. If you have a bike computer for your bike, then I would say don't bother with the Polar s710. I'm not sure you really need the wattage info, but it is cool to see. If you have a computer that measures cadence, that should be sufficient. I train with three components (cadence, HR and time). I think that's all you really need - the rest is just ego-toys.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used both a Polar wireless system and a Timex bodylink system (for only 2 wks - since it just came out. However, I have used the Timex S+D part for about 11 months.).

My experience has been this:

The Polar wireless system (specifically the S510) is NOT as good as the Timex Bodylink system from an overall standpoint. While the Polar system works well, it has problems with power output for use while on the bike. While the power transmission problem can be overcome (sometimes). It still requires the use of attachments to the bike fork and frame (if you use the cadence options). Those devices have been know to slip while riding (specially when riding on rough rodes). That's not a big issue but still a nuisance. As for the S510, there is a fundamental design flaw... I call it the "red button" problem. If you inadvertantly hit the large red button on the face of the watch after you stopped recording, you will loose ALL your detail data. That will happen frequently and often. So, it is very unreliable for maintaining data. The S710 doesn't have the same problem since it saves prior data in memory.

As for the Timex Bodylink system I have yet to find a major weakness.... although there are some minor things that make it not the best HRM. However, the Time+Distance (S+D) is far superior method of determining speed, distance for both the bike and run (heck, you can also use it for rollerblading, rowing, etc.). The only problems seems to come from those who live in extremely hilly areas. The accuracy is significantly reduced by courses with lots of hills... this can be overcome (in most part) by only doing out back courses. Overall, the Timex distance calculations to be amazingly correct (if you do a search of this sight, - I think... I believe I post my distance testing results). The accuracy was within inches for a 5k course and within a foot for a 20k bike course - Amazing. (Side Note: accuracy is mostly degraded by weak batteries - battery life about 7-8 hrs.)

As for the HRM... that is not as good as the Polar in terms of information provided. However, it's accuracy and reliability seems to about the same as the Polar. Until the Bodylink Data recorder is available (last I heard sometime in October), the HRM is not the best HRM available (from a data provider standpoint). For example, the Timex HRM that is used for the Bodylink system doesn't even provide Max HR. Even with it's weaknesses, the Timex HRM and S+D system (i.e., BodyLink) is a much better concept.

The BodyLink system didn't build in obsolesence. You can accumulate the components. This is an excellent idea. Which also means, that the typical 1st generation device weakness can be updated without having to replace the entire system. So, while the HRM may have a few weakness... I bet within a few yrs. you could just buy a new watch and the HRM limitations will be solved.

Finally, what I like the Timex vs. the Polar is this... Timex didn't build in mandatory dependency and excess cost. With the Timex, you actually change you own battery without having the most annoying marketing concept I have ever known... Polar requires (to maintain the warranty) that you send the HRM chest band in and pay for a replacement band (albiet at a lower price) even though it only needs a new batter you could buy down the street at a store. Also, Polar built in "dead end" software with it's S series HRM... You must use that particular software and data is non-transferable - another S510 HRM problem.

Bottom line, (IMHO) Timex is a better concept and product than Polar. I predict it will become "the" high end wireless training device of choice. Once the get a GPS transmitter/reciever that is smaller and waterproof, they will have the "swimming use" problem solved.

My choice is the Timex BodyLink - hands down. The runner up choice is Polar... However, I have found my CardioSport and Sigma Sport to be more or equally reliable than the Polar - but not wireless.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: HRM Question from a newbie [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow.

Thanks for the great replies. Basically, I am looking to upgrade from an old Polar (that worked pretty good) to something a bit newer. Since I am on a budget, I probably would not go much higher than a Polar S210. That is why I am looking at the Timex ... Bodylink HRM is only 125.

I am just getting back into serious training after a layoff and am looking to keep track of HR as a performance indicator while I workout.

It looks like I am leaning towards the Timex. I'll post results once I have a chance to use it for a few weeks.

Thanks, drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...BTW, you can get a BodyLink Compatible Timex HRM for less than 125 dollars...

See,

https://www.alsgiftshoppe.com/...qx/TimexBodyLink.htm

Althought the current Timex HRM that is BodyLink is not the best (the only really bad point is that it doesn't provide Max HR - now, that seems dumb to me)... it is good enough... and with the potential ability to upgrade it could become a better value in the future by simply adding the S+D and/or the Data Recorder.

FWIW Joe Moya

BTW, I have no vested interest in promoting Timex... just sighting my experiences.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM Question from a newbie [muppet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have the power option for my s710i, but would like to. ;-) I like being able to download, HR, speed, and altitude information for my rides/races. Then I can see how my body responds to hills, etc. I use it in conjunction with my bike computer. During rides/races, I look at my computer most of the time, and just check my HR every so often, but afterwards, when I want to analyze how I did, all the data is fabulous.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM Question from a newbie [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Timex is pretty good.

I used the pre-Bodylink Ironman HRM for most of this season and last. It It is reasonably accurate, but not great - got quite a few lost signal problems toward the end of it's use. The watch was not the most durable, but got the job done. I paid $74 at Walmart for it, which I thought was a pretty good deal.

I has a Polar S150. It worked fine if you were running, but not so well on the bike. I would pedal along at a slow speed and it was fine, but once I started to hammer the HR dropped by 50% - still don't know why, but it doesn't matter since I took it back.

I got the Bodylink HRW +S+D on Friday and took it for a ride on Sunday. Much more accurate than my bike computer, never dropped a signal on the HRM, it gives pretty good summary information that will certainly get better once the data collection device is ready, and most importanty, the watch fits my wrist well - more comfortable than the Polar and has a better strap than my old timex.

It is not cheap, but I have no regrets. Cant wait to try it on some runs once my IT band stops acting up.
Quote Reply