Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Aruba a Gulag?
Quote | Reply
Maybe this whole island should beshut down. They arrest and hold people for weeks without charges on a missing persons case.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Aruba a Gulag? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like this form of justice. Maybe if more people were arrested here and held their would be less crime. At least there would be less potential criminals on the street. ;)

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Is Aruba a Gulag? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, "weeks" was an understatement:

"Under Dutch law, which Aruba follows as a Dutch protectorate, authorities can detain people for up to 116 days without charging them."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Actually, "weeks" was an understatement:

"Under Dutch law, which Aruba follows as a Dutch protectorate, authorities can detain people for up to 116 days without charging them."

Just because our law is different than theirs, does that make it wrong?

Presumably these men were aware of the law when they entered the country, just as you and I would be. Since I do not want to be detained for 116 days without being charged I would not go to Aruba. If they were being held in America for 116 days without formal charges, I would have a problem with that. You know like the people at guantanimo bay.

edited to add, I posted this before I saw the guantanimo thread.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Last edited by: Erik Clark: Jun 20, 05 17:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago, that should tell you what a Gulag is. But unless they're forcing these men to sign false confessions with brutal torture, and sentencing them to years of hard labor in a isolated camp in northern siberia from which they will in all likelyhood not return from, I don't think Aruba is a gulag.

I'm a runner pretending to be a Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Is Aruba a Gulag? [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they were being held in America for 116 days without formal charges, I would have a problem with that. You know like the people at guantanimo bay.

Castro's gonna be pissed we annexed his country then. Since when was guantanemo bay part of america?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Aruba a Gulag? [Tyrius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Castro's gonna be pissed we annexed his country then. Since when was guantanemo bay part of america?"

Since we put Marines in there and told them to try and take it. Also the lawful Cuban goverment was over thrown so keeping that little piece of Cuba is nothing more than us defending the lawful goverment's rights to the island.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Aruba a Gulag? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that "lawful" Cuban government overthrew the previous "lawful" Spanish colonial government which had conquered and enslaved the previous "lawful" tribal governments. And so it goes...
Quote Reply
Re: Is Aruba a Gulag? [Farrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Read Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago, that should tell you what a Gulag is. But unless they're forcing these men to sign false confessions with brutal torture, and sentencing them to years of hard labor in a isolated camp in northern siberia from which they will in all likelyhood not return from, I don't think Aruba is a gulag.
I guess the irony was lost. I am just too subtle. Of course it is not a gulag. Nor is Gitmo. Just kind of funny how we are not hearing how abusive it is to put people in prison with no charges for 116 days. Just for being in a Vacation Zone. They may not have actually even been vacationing!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Aruba a Gulag? [danielito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta draw line somewhere don't ya? Get some good arguments and comeback.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply