Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: sugar - going cold turkey [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are kind of creamy. I'm sure it's the chemicals in it as I think they're fat-free...

Ingredients: water, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, maltodextrin, sugar, citric acid, malic acid, guar gum, mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, pectic, modified cellulose, polysorbate 80, natural flavor, polysorbate 65, locust bean gum, carrageenan, yellow 5, blue 1

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jan 14, 13 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: sugar - going cold turkey [dirtyharri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't had sugar since last year! (12/31/12 lol, but it feels great to say!)

I came across the no added sugar challenge and basically any naturally occurring sugar is okay but nothing added. The first day was the hardest. And truly, if I came across a piece of chocolate or candy or cookie in the first week, it was haaard to say no, but now three weeks later, it's no big deal to me to look at it and not feel temptation. The taste buds change, that makes it a lot easier. Now if I accidentally taste something sweetened with sugar, it tastes obscenely sweet lol.

Some things I recommend:

Check out the challenge - http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/...-no-sugar-challenge/

Also consider that you might have candida overgrowth which can make for crazy sugar cravings among other things - quiz here - http://bodyecology.com/quiz.php

Also there's a documentary on Netflix called "hungry for change" that addresses the sugar addiction epidemic, which might be motivating as well. Good luck! If I can do it, anyone can do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LTT - what cleanse did you do? I'm in the process of reading Clean by Alejandro Junger. It's a cleanse with real foods and I'm very intrigued. Doing the elimination diet now (no dairy, red meat, citrus fruits, etc) and will likely start the cleanse next week. I like this cleanse because it still has one real food meal at lunch and then liquid breakfast and dinner.
Quote Reply
Re: sugar - going cold turkey [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EEK: "high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup,"

EVIL EVIL STUFF!!!

I dropped sugar a long time ago - went cold turkey for a month with ZERO and it was soooo hard. But now my palate is completely changed. I can tell if there's added sugar by taste now. Sneaky offenders: mass-produced bread (i.e: Dempster's or similar). Fat-free yogurt. Fat-free peanut butter. In fact almost anything fat-free should be treated as suspicious until you read the ingredients. It is common to replace the fat with sugar because many fat-free foods are not palatable to the average consumer and sugar is cheap (esp HFCS).

For me, I can have a dessert or treat or chocolate etc. i.e.: stuff with sugar in it, but I am very aware that I am consuming it and expect the outcomes. The amount of sugar that is HIDDEN in our processed foods is astounding. Ditto sodium, but that's another topic ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: sugar - going cold turkey [dirtyharri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just like you train for a race it's good to prepare for sugar elimination. Consider the things you do where you may eat sugar. Some of them might be habit i.e. ice cream at night or candy at movies. Then think of alternatives to replace the sugar. When I stopped eating sugar I decided to eat more fruit when I wanted something sweet.

Awareness helps a lot. When I'd go somewhere that I knew there'd be really good sweets I'd plan ahead so I wasn't caught off guard. It's similar to training for a tri. The more you can foresee the unexpected the better prepared you are to respond to them.

Staying cool when the heat is on
FREE training call to Overcome Blocks and Fears when Racing on Wed, 2/13 register at http://expertsportsperformance.com/training
Quote Reply
Re: sugar - going cold turkey [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DawnT wrote:
LTT - what cleanse did you do? I'm in the process of reading Clean by Alejandro Junger. It's a cleanse with real foods and I'm very intrigued. Doing the elimination diet now (no dairy, red meat, citrus fruits, etc) and will likely start the cleanse next week. I like this cleanse because it still has one real food meal at lunch and then liquid breakfast and dinner.

Hahaha...I was hoping nobody would ask because I hate the name sooooo much, Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet.

In my own defense, I was doing it with a yoga group :)

None of the meals had to be liquid, but I found that some of the green smoothies were totally satisfying and functioned adequately as meals. Did I mention that I caved on meat? And alcohol? And didn't even CONSIDER coffee?

Lol.

It was a very good "reset" for me,and I found myself making much different choices post-cleanse than I did before it. I eat pretty clean these days, but I have very few "never" foods. I really don't eat processed stuff at all, except coffee. I will never give up coffee. NEVER! :)

Please let us know how it goes for you! Are you going to train while you're doing it?

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I might have a cup or two of coffee during the cleanse as well. I've given up coffee when I was pregnant and I just didn't enjoy the feeling. It's one thing I really enjoy and I don't want to give it up. I've read up on coffee and I just don't think it's the evil drink that so many people say it is.

I haven't been in serious training mode for a while. I will continue to work out during the cleanse, but my "workouts" are pretty lame these days.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: sugar - going cold turkey [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
EEK: "high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup,"

EVIL EVIL STUFF!!!

I dropped sugar a long time ago - went cold turkey for a month with ZERO and it was soooo hard. But now my palate is completely changed. I can tell if there's added sugar by taste now. Sneaky offenders: mass-produced bread (i.e: Dempster's or similar). Fat-free yogurt. Fat-free peanut butter. In fact almost anything fat-free should be treated as suspicious until you read the ingredients. It is common to replace the fat with sugar because many fat-free foods are not palatable to the average consumer and sugar is cheap (esp HFCS).

For me, I can have a dessert or treat or chocolate etc. i.e.: stuff with sugar in it, but I am very aware that I am consuming it and expect the outcomes. The amount of sugar that is HIDDEN in our processed foods is astounding. Ditto sodium, but that's another topic ;-)

AP

+ 1 on HFCS and processed foods.

AP, do you watch your sodium? I am a sodium freak. FREAK. I eat so much salt. I like a visible layer on my food, and I'll often resalt part way through the meal. Totally embarrassing when I eat with people who don't know me, but I really, really crave it.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Last edited by: luckytotri: Jan 25, 13 13:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also looooove salt. I crave it. I eat it without worrying about it. My mom has high BP so someday this may haunt me.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: sugar - going cold turkey [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Fat-free peanut butter.

That is such an oxymoron.

Have decided artificial sweeteners = trouble. I chewed too much sugarfree gum yesterday - really the only sugarfree thing I eat - my stomach felt like, and looked like, I'd swallowed a balloon last night.

Quote Reply

Prev Next