Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
McBroom destroyed Vendt's 2k (y) time. Split 14.43 at 1650.

Ya, I saw that, really impressive!!! It will be very interesting to see what he does at the scm worlds. Last time I checked, Hackett still held the 1500 scm record at 14:10, set back in 2001.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cochrane is swimming Doha as well, should be good. Both under 14.30 IMO.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Cochrane is swimming Doha as well, should be good. Both under 14.30 IMO.

Is Sun Yang still suspended??? Seems like he was out until 2015 last i heard.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He swam at Asian games.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
...During the entire 20th century, swimmers decided on their best turnover rate simply by swimming all-out sprints of 25 to 50 yds/m, and the 20th century guys and girls went pretty damn fast. If you do these sprints and truly try to turn over your arms as fast as you can, and do these sprints as your only workout of say 30-45 min, after about 5 or 6 sessions your body will have forgotten all about the "stroke gap" you currently have. After say 6 x 40 min sprint sessions, you should be good to go, and then gradually add in 100s, 150s, 200s, etc, while keeping your stroke rate as high as you can for the given distance.
Sounds like fun. Think I will give this a go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Banned for a measly 3 months for using Trimetazidine what a joke. Clearly the Chinese don't take doping enforcement seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, the Chinese really know how to keep a lid on it. I will be surprised if Yang repeats in Rio. I don't think he is going to be any faster and he gave everyone 4 years to raise their bars to his level. Few can, but someone will. The "rumor on the deck," is that Yang likes to party.
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
be nice to see Ryan Cochrane win, but he might be too old. not counting him out though.

I really like the way McBroom has been progressing, as well as the young Aussie (Harrison??) and there's the Italian guy (forget his name now, too lazy to look it up)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Klehner posted a link to this thread in the latest DPS thread and i read through it all over the past day or two. You were just lamenting hotman's absence in the greatest trolls thread so here he is in all his hot-titude in this thread. "Don't pull hard, just THRUST!!!" Oh, those were the ST glory days. :)

Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
I find that triathletes would be better served to increase their distance per stroke and then worry about increasing their stroke rate. Increasing both will obviously make anyone faster.

Increasing stroke rate alone may not make you faster if you dont get any distance in your stroke. You can stroke as fast you want and get no where,.

Not necessary on point to this thread, but as a sucky swimmer and decent runner, I will tell everyone that saying "just get more distance per stroke" is the same as telling a slower runner to "just run faster each mile".

The reason I don't get more DPS is because I suck at swimming. Whatever it is that makes me slow in the water is also the reason why I take 25 strokes per 25 yards. Telling me to get more DPS is telling me to just swim faster.

I CAN'T.
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duffman wrote:
The best open water swimmers use a high stroke rate. High stroke rates combined with breathing every stroke cycle will get you more oxygen, which is likely to be a limiter for endurance swimming (even then you'll get less air than running/cycling). Having said that I would not sacrifice technique for stroke rate as a beginning swimmer. Develop a long and powerful stroke and then work on the rate.

My $0.02

Yeah this. If you're not a great swimmer, stroke rate is probably way down the list of things to fix.
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
orphious wrote:
I find that triathletes would be better served to increase their distance per stroke and then worry about increasing their stroke rate. Increasing both will obviously make anyone faster.

Increasing stroke rate alone may not make you faster if you dont get any distance in your stroke. You can stroke as fast you want and get no where,.

Not necessary on point to this thread, but as a sucky swimmer and decent runner, I will tell everyone that saying "just get more distance per stroke" is the same as telling a slower runner to "just run faster each mile".

The reason I don't get more DPS is because I suck at swimming. Whatever it is that makes me slow in the water is also the reason why I take 25 strokes per 25 yards. Telling me to get more DPS is telling me to just swim faster.

I CAN'T.

Yeah, it's kind of like having this conversation with a runner...

Helper: You can get your stride rate up to 180 per minute can't you?
Runner: I think so, yeah. That's pretty easy.
Helper: Well, now you've just got to get your stride length up to that of a world-class Kenyan and you're on your way!
Runner: Of course! I get it now. Thank you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next