Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How were your past two weeks? Dec. 10 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jen - I love that you will skip swimming for NFL :-).

I also left work early to get errands done and give me time to get home and on the couch in my pjs in time for kickoff. Totally worth it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How were your past two weeks? Dec. 10 Edition [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luckytotri - I am so glad to hear you are ok after your brush with the truck. Stay safe everyone.

I too am considering joining the 100 in 100 run challenge. My run is by far my weakest link bc I'm new to this sport and come from a cycling background. Been running for about a year but only 2-3x/wk b/c I love riding my bike! However, it is clear to me that if I want to improve, I need to run 5-6x/wk. So this challenge comes at a perfect time! I just need to figure out how to keep the run gains when I do a cycling training block in a few months. Will be shooting for the bronze club - that's about 5 runs every week which is an attainable goal for me if I manage to stay injury free.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: How were your past two weeks? Dec. 10 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool- do the challenge! Running was my weakest link too (but then I quit triathlon 3 years ago, and oddly enough all I do is run now), and rode my bike at least 1.5 hours a day, usually more like three (how did I study?) while on my college cycling team. If you are not willing to sacrifice your cycling, I think a training block of frequent, easy runs; 5x30-40min is great, and won't take away anything from your cycling. The goal of this kind of running is not to become a faster runner, but to become a more efficient one and have better economy, so that later in the season you can incorporate more specific endurance, track and/or speed work and get faster! If the cycling workout is your priority, do that in the AM and then do an easy 30 min run in the PM maybe with some strides, form drills and/or 4-8 steep super short hill sprints (~10seconds max @ 90% effort). I just read two books (well, written by the same author) advocating for these short steep hill sprints because they build strength and prevent injury without be really at all taxing on your body. I have been doing them for months now, just twice a week and I really think they work!

Good luck and I think being really consistent is the way to get better at running- doesn't have to be long or fast, just run often!
Quote Reply
Re: How were your past two weeks? Dec. 10 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
you could get a big fat goggle mask that doesn't sit on eye sockets

i don't think it's worth it to buy something to use for a week that will then sit on a shelf for ages. i tried goggles last night and it was still painful (so i didn't go to the pool), but i think i should be ok by saturday.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I agree, you gotta run frequently to get good at it. I'm not that fast, but man I can pass a lot of people on the run leg of a tri now... :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How were your past two weeks? Dec. 10 Edition [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok the challenge is up and I'm in!!! Goal is bronze club and short runs at EZ pace for the first month. Thanks for all of the tips. Will definitely work in the hill sprints. I used to race track (on a bike) and I love short max efforts! The hill sprints sound like a blast.

Happy training everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: How were your past two weeks? Dec. 10 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! I personally loved the flying 200 - what was your fave event?

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How were your past two weeks? Dec. 10 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Points race!! I liked the fast pace and the strategy - twas a chess game on a bike. Our track also occasionally let the girls do the Madison and that was also a blast! We also did handicapped chariot races that were tons of fun. Don't have the speed to keep up with the youngsters anymore but still do an occasional pursuit. A good friend has corrupted me from a single sport athlete to multisport and I love having two new disciplines to figure out! It's all about the journey!

Hope the dec running/drinking challenge is going well!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: How were your past two weeks? Dec. 10 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I"ll sneak in an update before next week's post.... The summary: unexpectedly had to euthanize my canine companion of 14 years as she took a nose dive from frisky (well, as frisky as an old pup gets) to clearly in pain, then unresponsive, in less than eight hours. Probably was some sort of heart failure. I really miss her but I'm glad we recognized what was happening and were able to give her a peaceful passage.

Stalled on the injury recovery front, so sport doc recommended corticosteroids. Not wanting injections, we used an iontopatch, which does not have as many potential adverse effects. Finished my last treatment yesterday and it seems to be helping.

I'm out of the 100/100 this year. I'll be too tempted to push the recovery. But I highly recommend it to all. It made a huge difference in my run and it also helped my bike (by strengthening my legs?) Instead, my goal is to do Barry P 3-2-1 consistently for the next twelve weeks, starting with some baby step runs.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How were your past two weeks? Dec. 10 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who has only in the last few years welcomed a canine into her life, and can't imagine life without her, I am so sorry for your loss. :-( 14 years is a good life, but it doesn't make it any easier. Make sure you give yourself time to grieve. BIG HUG.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry Tri3 :/ I think losing a good ol dog is about one of the hardest things we have to do. I had to put one down just before Thanksgiving. Sucked. Big hugs to you. xo.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so sorry to hear about your dog. We love our pets like they are our children so it must be tough. Think about all the happy times you shared and know she loved you unconditionally. Hugs your way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, all. When I feel sad I focus on how she always made me smile. She was the best.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply

Prev Next