Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can you wear the jacket?
Quote | Reply
So 2 weeks before IM Coz my knee got tweaky and tried to run and couldn't without pain. Knew I would run on pain and didn't want to screw up my knee worse so after 9 months of training I decided to go to Coz and just have a good vacation and not race. Picked up my packet and thought maybe I would do the swim and then DNF but decided just to let it go. Sooooo here is the question in our swag bag got a nice jacket...I say "No" I can't wear it since I didn't do the race but friends and family say "yes" you did all the training for it. I know there are bigger issues out there (maybe getting my knee fixed) but thought I would ask.Thinking about just giving it to the kids.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Can you wear the jacket? [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you, I'd give it away or see if a fellow STer who did Coz but somehow pooched theirs might want it. My 2 cents.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well... you paid for it (and many $$$). Do you actually like the jacket and how it fits/feels? If so, wear it, who cares! Just be prepared for questions about the race I guess, if you do wear it, and admitting you didn't do the race.

I wear a race shirt from a 50k I DNFed at all the time because it fits me really well and is super soft cotton; whatever, I paid for the race, and my shoulder is chipless for not finishing. I'm advertising for the race!

Anyone who gives you shit for wearing it, seriously, they should worry about something else....like the giant stick up their ass.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you wear the jacket? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
I'm with you, I'd give it away or see if a fellow STer who did Coz but somehow pooched theirs might want it. My 2 cents.

AP

This.

Hope your knee is better soon.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The jacket is the nicest of previous years because it is black and not blue and orange. You paid and train for the race so there is no big deal as it is not a finishers jacket so why not wear it? It is only a piece of clothing. People, especially men like to sport these jackets and shirts for conversation and I am sure if anyone who was at or knows about the event will state how courageous you are for training for it.

Quote | Reply
I wouldn't wear it if I didn't race, but that's my deal. I also would certainly not look down on someone who didn't race due to injury who does wear it. I was in line buying a couple things at the expo and myself and the woman behind me were shocked at the couple front of us who had to buying IMCoz apparel for 10-15 people back home in their office. We wondered how many were even triathletes or active period. We were shocked that 1.) they would be buying race apparel for people who didn't do the race, or at least weren't family/friends who were there spectating and supporting, and 2.) that these people from their office would wear the stuff!!! Seriously, I think they bought at least one or two of everything that said IMCoz on it. But in your case, if you want to wear it then wear it. Use it for motivation for the next IM you train for!
Quote Reply
Re: Can you wear the jacket? [little red] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok so maybe I'll be a "closet wearer" and just wear around the house! Obviously I say this tongue in cheek since there are larger issues out there. I have seen several folks wearing IM hats and when I ask they say "no" but family bought it for them. My mom carries one of my freebie water bottles soooo I guess its what your comfortable wearing. I was there in all my training and ready to taper but still hold to my decision that I didn't want to walk the run. I couldn't fathom (for me) swimming hard, biking solid knowing that I would have to walk the run and then see everyone for 3 loops pass me as I walked. I think I would have finished mad at myself. I'll go to therapy later :) Thanks again for the thoughts!!! For those that finished great job!!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Go ahead! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a finisher's jacket. If you like it, go ahead and wear it. You don't need to earn the right, and anyone who says you do has their priorities out of whack. Frankly, I think you showed iron will travelling to Coz and vacationing, knowing you were signed up for the race, and not racing. That would have utterly destroyed me mentally. You were/are obviously mature enough that you were okay with it.

And, as the others have said, good luck getting your knee fixed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COTrimom wrote:
Ok so maybe I'll be a "closet wearer" and just wear around the house! Obviously I say this tongue in cheek since there are larger issues out there. I have seen several folks wearing IM hats and when I ask they say "no" but family bought it for them. My mom carries one of my freebie water bottles soooo I guess its what your comfortable wearing. I was there in all my training and ready to taper but still hold to my decision that I didn't want to walk the run. I couldn't fathom (for me) swimming hard, biking solid knowing that I would have to walk the run and then see everyone for 3 loops pass me as I walked. I think I would have finished mad at myself. I'll go to therapy later :) Thanks again for the thoughts!!! For those that finished great job!!
Some years ago I was at the gym and the guy swimming next to me had on an Ironman swim cap. I asked if he had done a race and his reply was something like "No I haven't don't an Ironman but I lost my tooth while skiing downhill last week." When he smiled, he was missing a tooth and looked very gross. He wore the swim cap to swim, not to prove anything. Your mother uses the water bottle because it is available, not because of what is printed on it. I am not sure if you got the Ironman Cozumel 70.3 swim cap then a 140.6 swim cap like I did. I didn't do the 70.3 but will happily wear that cap on my head. Wear the jacket and don't think about it. Most people in the world will not know what it is anyway.

Quote | Reply
you know i just don't get this mentality. I paid for the event, I paid for the shirt/jacket whatever, I'm WEARING the damn thing regardless of whether I completed it or not. My 11yo and 13yo wear my 70.3 and IM Cozumel jackets from earlier this year and this year. My 18yo wears my last year IMCOZ finisher shirt. He also wears a lot of my other finisher shirts. Here you will be out in the cold, sticking out like a sore thumb if you are NOT wearing the event shirt DURING the event. EVERYONE wears the event shirt during the event with very few exceptions. I gave away my jacket from this year and I expect the giftee to be wearing it. Personally I thought it was ugly and too monocolored. I like lots of bright colors. RunnersCozumel has the prettiest shirt I've ever seen - purple, yellow and green! :)

Wear the damn jacket! You paid for it!

(I also gave the encargante of the house we stayed at my finisher's medal so maybe my view is warped)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Can you wear the jacket? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very very good point and great perspective.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote that as long as it doesn't say "finisher" on it, it's good to wear. Besides, it will be great inspiration for your next attempt! Good luck on the healing :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you wear the jacket? [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are a triathlete so I say wear the jacket. However, at the gym the other day I ran into a women who was wearing a bike jersey that had the word 'triathlon' in large letters down the side of the jersey. I've known this gal for years and she is NOT a triathlete. My first thought was POSER! My second thought was htfu - who cares?
Quote Reply
Re: Can you wear the jacket? [kimbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with this...who cares? I used to. Maybe this inspires her.
I used to feel funny even wearing stuff for things I did finish. I have an Ironman jacket from 1999 I have never worn, but I might start to now as its kinda retro :) If you like the jacket, wear it. You trained for it. If you like it, wear it, and do not think 2x about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can wear if if you like it. My wife wears one of my IM shirts just because she likes it. The jacket does not say 'finisher' so it is not false advertising. You had a great vacation there so enjoy the jacket and the memory.
Quote Reply