Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

the usa and life threatening illnesses
Quote | Reply
Ok I just have to have a rant, but I think the USA is totally fucked up when it comes to illnesses, insurance and the law.

I know a guy who thought he was diabetic, but couldn't get diagnosed because he had no insurance. WTF?!?!?!? This is a potentially life threatening illness and people are not getting it diagnosed because the health system doesn't provide for it? That is seriously fucked up.

Another thing that is fucked up are juries awarding ridiculous amounts against drs, pharmacists etc. Do people really want to litigate health care out of their area?
Quote Reply
Re: the usa and life threatening illnesses [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found that insurance companies do not seem to allow for pro-active testing or annual physicals here, they just seem to want to wait until you get sick to then decide whether they'll cover your problem or not. To me, it's ridiculous that a physical would not be paid for, and even if it is, a blood workup is not included. I've always had a problem with that, and I've mostly had what could be considered 'good' insurance. Luckily I keep very good health - I'd hate to be sick and not have insurance or not have one that cares.

I have a good mate who is an ob/gyn, and you should hear him go on about how much time he has to spend in depos and court and dealing with attorneys. It's frightening. And he has the reputation of being one of the best guys in this field in our area. It's all to do with people wanting something for nothing, or not being able to deal with the realities of life. You get sick, the doctor does what he can, you don't get better, you sue the doctor, it's all his fault. Makes me sick (sorry!).

Cheers

Barry
Quote Reply
Re: the usa and life threatening illnesses [bglading] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget to mention that they (insurance companies) can also welch on their commitment at any time should they decide it is more economical to do so.

My SO had major surgery last year and had to have the procedure done at a hospital out of our network, only because this hospital and only 2 others in the entire nation had any expertise in her condition.

We we get the surgery done, everything is great. Only the F***** insurance company decides months after the procedure that the hospital provided care above and beyond what they think was called for (?!?!?!?!?) and decided to let us pay a couple G's that they originally intended to cover. Now the hospital wants to know when they're going to get paid and the insurance company told us to get screwed after we protested their decision.

Those M****F*****. There is a cold dark place in hell for those coverage decision makers.
Quote Reply
Re: the usa and life threatening illnesses [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ok I just have to have a rant, but I think the USA is totally fucked up when it comes to illnesses, insurance and the law.

I know a guy who thought he was diabetic, but couldn't get diagnosed because he had no insurance. WTF?!?!?!? This is a potentially life threatening illness and people are not getting it diagnosed because the health system doesn't provide for it? That is seriously fucked up.

Another thing that is fucked up are juries awarding ridiculous amounts against drs, pharmacists etc. Do people really want to litigate health care out of their area?

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Last edited by: hasbeenswimmer: Jun 15, 05 10:17
Quote Reply