Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight Watchers Points Q
Quote | Reply
Anyone done/doing the WW Points Plus program? Justs curious how low the points will go.... I'm at 28/day and gotta say it's pretty tight to stick too... Maybe that's why they have the bonus points? And did you ever use up all your weekly bonus points and still lose? I'm about 10 days in and it's gone from 29 to 28 in the first week. I suppose it will get easier as time goes by, but I can't fathom trying to trim it down to, say, 25/day, but if that's where it's heading, I better get my mind ready to be very hungry! Thanks for any tips/inside info!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Watchers Points Q [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be interested in the answers to these. I fell off the WW wagon for the lasts week due to vacation in FL with the family. They make dessert EVERY DAY and ate out every night. Ugh. Tempted to try a cleanse for the first time despite my previous negative opinions of them.

They give e 26 pts and I've honestly never understood the bonus points thing. If I spread them out does that mean I can eat over 26 points every day or are they reserved for splurges like dinner out? Same with Activity points. If I workout every day the do I get extra points or not?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make a decent living leading people down the difficult pathway of weight loss. It's the single biggest reason I participate in triathlon as well. The best advice I can offer is get 6-10 hours of exercise every week while you are on this journey. Your daily points go up with exercise and my advice mimics what the federal government guidelines are for weight loss.

Don't forget to lift at least once per week and add a yoga session for stretching too. The rest can be all the swim, bike, and running you can handle.

WW Points or any other system virtually always involves being hungry (you're actually losing weight at that time ;-) and usually at night. Be patient and kind to yourself; maybe just go to bed and look forward to breakfast. Good luck!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Watchers Points Q [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I very successfully have used WW in the past, I always ate all my bonus points, all my activity points and often ended up 10-30 points over at the end of the week. I think that the act of recording what you are eating counts for a large portion of your success. I was training for an ultramarathon at the time and running 8-10 hours per week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get 26 points a day an can usually stay right at that or a few over. (I'm not super strict about tracking every single thing that goes into a meal though especially if I'm eating out.) I usually eat up my activity points. I end up dipping into the extra points if we go out, have a birthday or other event. I've still able to lose weight, 11 pounds over three months. If you're still hungry increase your veggie/fruit intake. Also cottage cheese, Greek yogurt and hummus have pretty low point values.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Watchers Points Q [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They give e 26 pts and I've honestly never understood the bonus points thing. If I spread them out does that mean I can eat over 26 points every day or are they reserved for splurges like dinner out? Same with Activity points. If I workout every day the do I get extra points or not?

Jen I think the idea is to use the bonus/activity points where ever you want. Spread them out or splurge, just stay within the total points per week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been a long time since I've looked at WW, but I used to have personal training clients who would be on it. Is it true that a point is still ~ 50cals?

If this is the case, 1300cals (26pts) seems really, really low, even just to maintain your basal metabolic rate. I feel like this is could be too low for even relatively inactive people, let alone people training for anything.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Watchers Points Q [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it. That's what I was thinking but it seemed generous.

I've wondered about the formula for points. I don't think it is a direct points = x calories since the balance of protein/fat/carbs seems to be taken into account. I'm probably overanalyzing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Watchers Points Q [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they switched off from 50 calories per point to a calculation figuring in fat, fiber and magic. :) It works for them as a business because everyone knew the 50 calorie thing and didn't need to pay them anymore.

Keep in mind that fruit and veggies are free.

I found the activity points to have increased a lot from my first go around about 15 years ago.

WW is documented as the most successful program out there - success being defined as maintaining 80% of weight loss 2 years later. I certainly did that the first time. I started a second time to get more race weight fit, I was fine for the general popluation but too heavy for racing. I admit I gained it all back in the last 3 months of training for my second Ironman. Like a lot of women long course training seems to fatten me up. I've dropped back my training considerably and I've lost weight from Ironman. Go figure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone! Lots of good info there from users past and present. I think I need to start dipping into my bonus points a bit more as I am down 8 pounds in 13 days already. I don't think I'm getting enough. Then again - I stopped breastfeeding my little dude just 2 months ago, and maybe this is just getting me back to normal. I was definitely not one of those people who lost any weight while nursing. My supply was so spot on (no extra at all) that any strenuous activity or eating restrictions would cut into my supply - and my little guy would not take a bottle from anyone, so it was me and the booboos for 15+ months (with solids yes, but the milk was all me).

This has been good for me in a few ways though. I've been pregnant or nursing the last 4 years (with maybe 6 months off in between), and really haven't had to restrict what I was eating or think about it much. I'm having to be conscience of what I'm eating for the first time in a long time. Plus I'm going to Mexico in January and I want to be in a bikini - stretch marks be damned!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's like training, slow and steady or else you get burned out or injured. Too much too fast won't work. Eat the food, you need the nutrients.

Have a great vacation! Envious.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Watchers Points Q [susietri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so happy I found this thread. It has been a struggle finding people that are doing Weight Watchers and also are endurance athletes. I did WW online about 8 years ago and lost 69 pounds and then rejoined a few months ago and started going to meetings for the first time. I'm trying to lose that 20 pounds I regained after having kids and it's working really well so far. But the other folks in my meeting always look at me like I'm crazy when I explain how I can work out 10 hours a week and still not lose weight if I don't watch myself. Most people at my meeting are excited that they can get 2 activity points from standing up while cooking dinner and here I am racking up about 75 exercise points a week! It's pretty annoying that I still have to watch what I eat when I work out that much, but that's my metabolism. Oh well. I have found that, for me, if I eat all my exercise points I will definitely gain weight, so I have to play around with it a bit. I'm nervous for how it's going to work when I get back into triathlon season again next year and am starving all the time! I would love tips (should this be a new thread) for how to manage eating healthy and also fueling correctly while training for long course and iron distance races. I tend to always gain, as others have said, when I do big endurance events. But to answer the original question, I don't think the points go any lower than 26, and your body does get used to it. I remember when I did it the first time around I was starving at first, but then I slowly acclimated. This time around, with fruit and most veggies being 0 points, I eat a ton and it doesn't seem to make me gain weight. Lucky I love fruit! With activity points and bonus points you can choose whether you save them up for a splurge, or spread them out over the week. Supposedly you should be able to use them all and not gain, but I have found that if I used all my bonus and activity points I'd definitely gain weight so I have to sort of estimate and just keep a real eye on how much I'm gaining/loosing each week...
Quote Reply