Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WSD or Unisex
Quote | Reply
I bought my first road bike (Trek Lexa) a few months ago in order to compete in my first tri. As it turned out, not only have I really come to enjoy the sport, but I have also taken to the cycling aspect of it as well...bordering on obsessive, really! I have decided that I will upgrade to a more "serious" road bike (as soon as I hit some personal markers I have set for myself), but for the time being, I am trying to do some research on what may be the most appropriate model for me. Specifically, what are the main differences between a WSD and a unisex bike, and do they really make that much of a difference? I am 5'7", and I have long arms and legs with a shorter torso and wide shoulders (years of swimming can do that to you). Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: WSD or Unisex [Panndorah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colors. Seriously, a lot of the bikes aren't different dimensions (like the trek speed concept), but are just the small size mens frame in pink (for example)

Some are different, but the one thing that makes a big difference is the handlebars, which you can probably get swapped out anyway. Narrower with smaller drops is usually what comes on the women's bikes. And maybe a WSD seat, but again, you should be able to swap out for what you want anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Panndorah wrote:
Specifically, what are the main differences between a WSD and a unisex bike, and do they really make that much of a difference? I am 5'7", and I have long arms and legs with a shorter torso and wide shoulders.

If it's truly a women's specific frame, the top tube will typically not be as long as the top tube on a men's (aka unisex) bike. That is because men have much longer torsos proportionally than women of the same height.

At your height of 5'7" you could easily get a "unisex" bike if you have a proper fitting and get a shorter stem to counteract the longer head tube. The shorter stem would then put the handlebars in the right spot. You will also need a much longer seatpost than the men, because women typically have longer legs for a given height than men have.

Of course I'm talking road bikes there. If you get a triathlon specific frame, which is a little bit steeper geometry, the top tube will be slightly shorter than on a road bike and you might not need to fuss with the stem length to get a proper fit.

If you were really short, say under 5'4", you might need a WSD. But at your height, you should be ok with unisex WITH A PROPER FIT! Have I said that enough?

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In general, WSD means shorter torso, longer legs. Know your body before buying one. I have short legs and a long torso. I hate WSD bikes. They just don't fit me.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there!
Yes, what has been said is good information but there is a little more to it than just shortening the top tube a bit and changing the colors for a women's bike. If done properly it will have not only a shorter top tube, but a longer head tube and depending on the size a different head tube angle with a different fork offset. Also the center of gravity between the wheelbase will be slightly adjusted for the intended riders body. If it is a composite bike then the layup will be a little different as well as the actual fibers themselves may be different to get a different feel out of it. If it's a steel or an alloy frame typically the tubes are a little thinner and a little smaller in diameter to custom tune the ride.
Getting a good fitting is paramount to picking the optimal fitting bike. I would look for someone that is maybe independant and fits on a specialized fitting system like Retul, dartfish, bike fitting and the like. Your fitter will usually be able to point you in the right direction for what to get as they typically have a lot of experience of what fits not only your body but also your intended use.

Hope that helps you some :)
Quote Reply
Re: WSD or Unisex [Planet X USA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like my best bet is to ignore WSD or Unisex labels/branding and instead focus purely on the fit as it to relates to my body. I keep hearing that a proper fit is one of the most important things. Thanks for all the help and tips - it is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Panndorah wrote:
It sounds like my best bet is to ignore WSD or Unisex labels/branding and instead focus purely on the fit as it to relates to my body. I keep hearing that a proper fit is one of the most important things.

right on the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gerard from Cervelo posted on the main forum a few years ago that the supposed anatomical differences between male/female don't usually hold up. There are men with long legs/short torso and women with short legs/long torso that don't meet the stereotype. He feels that 98% of riders (male or female) can fit on a standard frame because bikes have a reasonable degree of adjustment. That's why Cervelo never produced a "women's specific" or got into "custom" frames and claimed this was mostly marketing. As mentioned, often the women's model is a standard geometry painted pink. My wife has a genuine long leg/short torso anatomy due to a Harrington rod in her spine for scoliosis since age 12 which shortens her torso by probably about two inches but she can still be fitted on standard frames without any issues. There may be exceptions for very petite women but at 5'7" that shouldn't likely apply to you.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Nov 5, 12 18:56
Quote Reply
Re: WSD or Unisex [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeup, i'm one of those males with long legs/shortish torso (88cm inseam, 179cm tall).

i have pretty good flexibility, though, so i just run plenty of handlebar drop (-23° stem = booya).
Quote Reply
Re: WSD or Unisex [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jodi wrote:
In general, WSD means shorter torso, longer legs. Know your body before buying one. I have short legs and a long torso. I hate WSD bikes. They just don't fit me.

Jodi

Ditto!
Quote Reply