Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IPOD help/Comments
Quote | Reply
Couple of things:

First, I was using my shuffle through a tape deck converter thing (the FM thing sucks). The Shuffle kept shutting off--always at the same place in the same song(s). By accident, I discovered that if I turned down the volume on the Shuffle, I have no problem at all. I cannot image how there could be a connection--I could see the tape converter having an issue, but I don't get why it would affect the Shuffle.

Second, I did not use my 20G Ipod for about a month, and when I plugged it in to my computer, it gave an error and said to run chkdsk. I have researched this, and it is a problem with the 3.0.2 if your IPOD goes into a "deep sleep". Naturally, Apple says they have "heard" of this problem, but it is not widespread--HA, HA --like their short-lived non-replaceable battery problem.

Third, maybe this is how they work, and I just don't remember, but I do not be able to play songs from my IPOD through iTunes on my computer. The songs show up, but they appear in opaque letters--can't be highlighted or play. Is that how it is supposed to be? I can play them off my Shuffle, but not the 20G--that seems not right. Any ideas.
Last edited by: Monk: Jun 13, 05 16:28
Quote Reply
Re: IPOD help/Comments [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monk,

I can't help you with 1 and 2. However, for problem 3 (which I do not have by the way) I might suggest downloading the most recent itunes software. That might solve the problem. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Pete
Quote Reply
Re: IPOD help/Comments [PH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks--it automatically asks you if you want to updates. Plus, I don't have Internet access.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this is your problem, but it's one I encountered. If you bought songs through the iTunes music store and downloaded them to your iPod, and then tried to play them on another computer, or even the same computer with a new hard drive, you won't be able. You have to get into the music store and authorize that computer to play the songs you bought. I think the idea is that the songs are encrypted so that you can't download them once and then e-mail them or use your iPod to upload them to all your buddies' computers. I'm not sure if this is your problem, but I had a similar problem when I had to replace my laptop's hardrive. I got myself hooked up to the internet, authorized my computer on iTunes music store (you're allowed to authorize 3 or 4) and now I can play the songs I had previously downloaded to my iPod.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: IPOD help/Comments [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. sounds strange, no idea why that would be.

2. Never seen that, and haven't heard of it, so I don't think it's as widespread as other issues such as battery life.

3. Yep, that's how it works. You can't play directly from your ipod. I'm guessing it's to do with the copyright management, as you can't transfer tunes from an ipod up to the computer. Actually you can, just not using regular itunes, you use a piece of third party software.

J.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Sojourner [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No help, but interested in the IPOD, particularly for the FM thing. It sucks? Care to elaborate?

My stereo's CD Player died and the idea of being able to play my music at home and in the car easily seemed appealing with the FM thingy. Not as good as it sounds maybe?

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: IPOD help/Comments [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you keeping it protected from water/sweat?
Quote Reply
Re: IPOD help/Comments [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the little bit I know. Try ipodlounge.com for lots of info.

The "FM Tramsitter" thing transmits to your FM antenna over a frequency you set. In urban areas, just about every FM frequency gets stepped on, particularly if you are moving. Now, there is also something called "FM Modulation" which is where you plug it in to your radio through your FM antenna input, but I believe that you have to switch it over to "antenna" from "iPod" when you want to use the radio, which is an inconvenience. I got the tape deck converter, which does the job, but I have severe hearing loss (as in "hearing aid"), so I can't tell much about the quality of the music, except to say that the FM Transmitter SUCKS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the opposite experience with the shuffle. I've been using it running every day for the last 5 months, no problems at all. The battery has never quit on me during use. I usually load up podcasts and listen to them on my runs.

I don't like the headphones however, in general I don't like earbuds.
Quote Reply
Re: IPOD help/Comments [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The battery has never quit on me during use.
The battery problem, as far as I know, is with the Minis and the regular iPods (not the Shuffles). They don't have a real long life, and when they go, Apple was charging a huge amount for replacement--don't quote me, but it was almost as much as a new unit. I believe they changed their policy, and now they will do it for the low low price of $99.00 plus shipping and handling.
Last edited by: Monk: Jun 14, 05 17:36
Quote Reply
Re: IPOD help/Comments [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>I've had the opposite experience with the shuffle. I've been using it running every day for the last 5 months, no problems at all.<<

Same here. No problems at all.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I returned two Ipod Shuffles to the Apple store here. After the second one died I picked up the mini and IT died. I'm on my second mini, but it's lasted about 4 weeks!

My Rio never gave me a moment's trouble....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply