Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sore knee after spin class
Quote | Reply
Hi there. I just got back from my first indoor spin class, quite different from spinning on the trainer at home. I noticed part way through the class that my right knee felt a little off. I slowed down to see if I could stretch it out a bit but if felt worse if I hyper extended my knee rather than keep it slightly bent for the stretch. I dialed back the tension and continued with a light spin. Now back at home and completed my stretching I find the face (exterior) of my kneecap is sore. Is this related to the fit/set up of the spin bike? Saddle too high/low? Fore/aft? No issues when riding my bike outdoors or on the trainer. Thanks in advance for any insight. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore knee after spin class [barrel_o_monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should not be sore in any way after riding a spin bike. Try adjusting the seat and handlebars and do not clip in for a session to see if it helps.

Quote | Reply
I've struggled quit a bit with bike fit and knee pains. I've found that if the front of your knee is sore, its likely that your saddle is either too low or too far forward on the spin bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore knee after spin class [barrel_o_monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Concur with saddle adjustment being a likely issue.
The fact that the teacher didn't assist you, a newbie, with setting up your equipment is a concern- pretty basic stuff for any instructor.
Another possibility- if you engaged in this- is the all too high spin rates (as in bordering on out of control) that many teachers use in their sessions. High cadence is one thing; spinning into a blur is another (and not good for the knees).
Quote Reply
Re: Sore knee after spin class [toreishi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Knee pain is gone today :) but still concerned with what might have caused it. I intend to arrive quite a bit earlier next time so I can spin a bit and make more adjustments. The instructor did help set me up and I thought I had a good feel for saddle height but fore/aft was a crap shoot. I admittedly did not have a good sense of position there. I did not have my cycling shoes on because as luck would have it all mine are not SPD compatible! I'll give it a go a few more times to see if its for me before I have to bite the bullet and get an inexpensive pair just for spinning.

Thanks for your tips ladies.

Cheers.
Quote Reply