Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rant! Cellphones in Spin and other classes
Quote | Reply
OMG! Am at the end of my tether -- or else I'm just too sensitive. There's been a huge uptick lately in the number of women (almost always women) bringing their phones into class, settling them on the bars, and even working them when the rest of the group is at full throttle. Some instructors land on them like a ton of bricks, others are lenient. I find the lights, ringtones, and general fiddling hugely distracting. Am I in my rights to let them know it's bothersome, or should I just learn to tunnel better? Interested in others' opinions . . .

yearoftrainingdangerously.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rant! Cellphones in Spin and other classes [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tunnel better. It's rude, but how do you know there's not some crisis they're waiting to hear back on, or they're worried about a new babysitter that might call or someon'es about to have a baby or something like that. I get the same way with people who are all "woo-hoo-ing" like cheerleaders. It's your workout....they're just in the same room doing their own "workout".

Don't let someone else's lack of dedication or lack of desire to actually work hard during a workout take away from your effort. Not your problem. They'll be that much easier to beat if they dare to ride a real bike at some point in time.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless there were an actual vocal conversation happening, I say whatevs. Not much different than fiddling with or looking at a watch or HRM or Garmin.
A good exercise in mental focus, if nothing else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were the instructor, I'd collect them at the door. If you want to ride and text, go ride the generic bikes next to the treadmill.

And I'm one with the phone attached normally.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The music is so deafeningly loud in GroupX classes that I find it hard to believe anyone could hear over the cacophony of noise.

Our club gives away free ear plugs to minimize hearing loss ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Rant! Cellphones in Spin and other classes [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trackie clm wrote:
If I were the instructor, I'd collect them at the door. If you want to ride and text, go ride the generic bikes next to the treadmill.

And I'm one with the phone attached normally.
Yes! I am not one who is glued to the phone or know how to text, yet feel that no one should ever have a phone in a class or group session of any kind. If there are so many concerns going through ones head, he or she should sit out.

Quote | Reply
I bring my phone everywhere when I'm on call for work. I feel ridiculous but it's a necessity. Talking in class is ridiculous. But people have their reasons for needing to be in contact.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe there are times when you do need to have your phone with you if you afr waiting for an important phone call. I have done it but I do agree that some women over do it. To be more specific my riding buddies are the worst and some even carry two three phones. Ridiculous. One in particular has four of them and she brings them all the time! Iphone, 2 blackberrys US one and Mex one and nextel. Personally it drives me crazy having to hear them talk about stupid things having to wait for them during rides because they are answering there phones. That will be my next step in our rides, first I ut a rule no ipods now it will be no phones. To add to this I think it is totally rude that people who are with you during coffee, lunch answer there phones and talk all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Rant! Cellphones in Spin and other classes [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>I bring my phone everywhere when I'm on call for work.<<

That is totally different. I doubt the people in the OP'ers message are doctors.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rant! Cellphones in Spin and other classes [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
totally agree
The worst ever was a cell phone at the top of someone's yoga mat?! Instructor shut that down
Sure there are situations where you are waiting for news, an important call, etc, but if this cannot wait til after a 45-60 min class then skip the class
Id say something either to the instructor or management
Quote Reply