Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm Available. Recent Law School Graduate but Open to Opportunities
Quote | Reply
I am a recent law school graduate. I am looking for work. I am open to working my way up in a company or organization, if they are in need of a hard worker with good problem solving skills. I am open to positions that are not attorney positions.

Would prefer to stay in the pacific northwest. Can provide a resume, cover letter or anything else.
Last edited by: Runless: Oct 16, 12 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Available. Recent Law School Graduate but Open to Opportunities [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just curious if you found anything that allows you to use law degree without being a lawyer?
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Available. Recent Law School Graduate but Open to Opportunities [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only responses to non-attorney positions I've gotten since graduation is for contracts management.

I'm trying to find volunteer opportunities to expand my breadth some. I think if a person had the right background, a law degree might get more attention for non-attorney positions.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Available. Recent Law School Graduate but Open to Opportunities [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of "right background" do you mean exactly? I'm back and forth about doing a masters in engineering or law school or possibly both, and I'm interested what your thoughts are.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Available. Recent Law School Graduate but Open to Opportunities [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a background working in law firms after getting my undergrad, so its been hard for me to get attention outside of law firms. I'd say the "right background" is a background relevant to the position you want.

For instance, getting a job in financial compliance with a JD would be easier with a background in banking. If you had a background in construction, getting a job with a JD as a project manager might be easier. If you had a background in public administration/policy, then you might return there with your JD.

Of course with all of the positions listed above there is a more fitting advance degree than a JD.

Right now I wouldn't recommend a JD to most people even if they wanted to be an attorney. The exception would be if you could get enough scholarships to pay for it. If you want to be an attorney, then hold on for a bumpy ride. If you don't want to be an attorney, then I'd say there is almost certainly a better degree for you with a better return on the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I had to reply to this. I practiced for 5 years, never liked it, and was pretty vocal with good friends about that. My best friend's sister was the assistant women's tennis coach at university of Oklahoma at the time, and she emailed me one day about a job opening for Facility Manager for OU. I now have managed the most awesome tennis facility in the state, if not the country, for two years and also opened the place to the public for memberships, lessons, tournaments, etc. You are absolutely right about the JD thing launching you to the top of a stack of resumes. I played tennis in college and had coached throughout undergrad and law school in so many clubs, gained a lot of experience, but was by no means in the eyes of other typical applicants for this job "we'll qualified." Of course not ;) Anyway, I still struggle with my student loan payment each month and can totally empathize with the "only do it if you really want to practice law" comments. Sometimes, I wish I had not racked up the debt, but then I give a lesson to the cutest 4 year old in Norman every other day, go on a trip with the team, go for an hour run over lunch or whatever, and it's so worth it. I'm not sitting at a desk 80+ hours a week watching the sun go down from behind a window. Stay connected with what you love and it will happen. And shoot me an email if you wanna chat more. emmyhufnagel@ou.edu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm currently working as a marine inspector in the Coast Guard, so that would make my background more into the shipping regulatory compliance (seeing as how that's currently what I'm doing, just on the opposite side). That also means I'm less likely to have to pay for school as long as I'm willing to give a few more years to the CG.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Available. Recent Law School Graduate but Open to Opportunities [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great! I'm thinking that getting back into legal aid someday would be a good idea- make ten years of reduced pmts and loan balance is forgiven. Or just keep working my tail off in tennis and pay the whole thing :)
Quote Reply