Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best place to find training partners
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I've recently gotten into this whole triathlon business. And, I had to drop out of Vineman this summer due to appendicitis. So, I signed up for the Austin 70.3. And, while I'm so excited to be able to do another race... it's been hard because every person I was training with has shifted gears into off season. I was wondering where you guys think is the best place to find training partners. I'll obviously survive two more weeks but Im thinking about IMAZ next year and dont want to face the same problem...
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to find training partners [sarahd5524] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Train like you race--alone. Seriously, no one will be out there with you on race day. I do the occasional group workout for fun and to socialize, but just about all my training is done solo.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off - Where do you live? Maybe someone on this forum lives there, or could suggest friends, etc.

Otherwise, you may need to join a local tri group.

Or break up the three disciplines and swim w a master's group, ride w/ a local bike store, and run w/ a local running group.

But I agree w/ second poster, you have to learn to train a lot on your own. Not only because you race by yourself, but also because a lot of people say they want to do something, but can't put the work in. You don't want to rely on others to be ready on race day.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent some quality time contemplating this when I was training for an IM a couple years ago. Silverman was the first weekend in November. Once IMMOO & IMLOU are over the midwest pretty much goes into off-season mode too. I spent many long hours in September & October by myself admist the corn & soybean harvests in Indiana. It was tough, especially during the long rides. I was able to pick up some fall marathon trainers for some running & did almost all of my swimming with a masters group (still do). But the rides were tough.

Paid off huge on race day, though, as I spent the entire ride by myself (with the exception of passing or being passed). I did a pretty small race with a very spread out field. It came in handy having spent all the time by myself. And on the run, well, it was just a matter of one foot in front of the other.

Picking up the training groups with a local bike shop (or tri group), masters swimming and a running group if you can find it will save your sanity socially. But I also think that it comes in handy having the occasional long day to yourself. Either way, you'll get through it & do well, I'm sure.

You might try asking just one or two people if they'll come hang out with you on a ride. That's usually easier than wrangling a whole group. Some of my best girlfriends were "those girls".

Good luck!!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a LOT of multi hour runs and rides by myself. I know how hard it is. I gotta say I'm glad I did.

But having one workout a week with someone else can be good motivation. I was doing Masters swim 2x/week and that kept me going to the pool. The 100+ mile rides I generally did by myself. Occasionally I'd get company for part of it then was on my own. I think I've done 10% of my running with company and I've trained for ultras which can mean 4+ hours on my own.

Right now I've picked up a weekly track workout. It is nice to have company but all my other runs are solo.

Depending on your area there are likely some kind of organized workouts. There is also a website called dailymile.com where you can likely find other athletes in your area. Strava is also a iPhone app that has the social aspect. You might need to put yourself out there and ask for company.

Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training for IM NZ multiple times meant lots of long January and February rides, many solo. I did have one roadie dude who was fine doing his base miles with me and would ride at whatever pace I wanted to do. But I also had some friends who would do shorter rides, so I'd do loops and a friend would join me for one loop, so I had company part of the time.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply