Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bontrager Aeolus 9 D3 vs Disc [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl. Sorry I don't understand though which way the 20 grams drag difference goes. In terms of less drag, was the Zipp Disc better that you used, or the Aeolus 9 with cover?
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Aeolus 9 D3 vs Disc [RevDaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I missed that. ..covered Aeolus slightly faster.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for hijacking this thread, as I'm now moving the topic from the rear wheel to the front :)

I run a Zipp 1080 front wheel on my 2015 Trek SC 9. I've had enough of handling issues in crosswind, and of course the 1080 rim profile is a bit "dated". Due to decent results lately I'm chasing deciwatts now, and a new front wheel is on the block.

I won't blame you (Carl or others) if you say Aeolus 9 is the fastest front wheel ever made for the SC 9, but it would be great to gain some insight into how you have experienced that it compares to the 1080, 808 FC and Stinger 9 on the SC 9. Hard data is always nice :) I'm generally averaging 29-31mph in TTs, thus experiencing fairly low yaw angles most of the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Aeolus 9 D3 vs Disc [walser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't have any in-bike data with all four of those, sorry. and even what I can find in a quick search through our data is about as dated as your 1080...e.g. at low yaw the stinger9 and aeolus9 D3 tubulars are virtually identical in-bike (no rider).

before I comment on any wheel-only data there are a bunch of caveats to roll through...it's just as dated, also based on tubular versions of the wheels (all using our old RXXXL tubular), and differences in relative performance do change once they get in the bike...e.g. that low-yaw parity between the aeolus9 and stinger9 in-bike isn't there wheel-only...the aeolus9 was a little faster. SO, that said, the 808FC was a little slower still and the 1080 split the difference between the 808 and stinger9 (but it also stalled earlier than any of the other three, ~10deg vs 12.5deg or more for the others).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, much appreciated.

Just want to confirm the setup. The RXXXL tubular was 23mm, right? And used on all 4 wheels in your tests?

And the Aeolus9, Stinger9 and 808FC were all designed for 'wider' tires (23-25mm)?
Whereas the 1080 has a 18.5mm wide rim and seems designed for a 20-21mm tire, no?
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Aeolus 9 D3 vs Disc [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
Thanks, much appreciated.

Just want to confirm the setup. The RXXXL tubular was 23mm, right? And used on all 4 wheels in your tests?

yes

Nicko wrote:
And the Aeolus9, Stinger9 and 808FC were all designed for 'wider' tires (23-25mm)?
Whereas the 1080 has a 18.5mm wide rim and seems designed for a 20-21mm tire, no?

The aeolus9 D3 was, yes. can't speak for the others.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Aeolus 9 D3 vs Disc [6 String] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6 String wrote:
I've had the exact same results in the tunnel - various discs were only superior to the 808's and Reynolds 92's at 0 degree yaw. Unfortunately, you're almost never at a 0 yaw.
You'll have better luck convincing the ST crowd that the earth is flat, than convincing them that a disc isn't always faster. I wouldn't even bother trying, just prove it on race day.

THE WORLD IS FLAT WHEN YOU RIDE A DISC.
Quote Reply

Prev Next