Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? October 1 Edition
Quote | Reply
Brand new month!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 1 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine was pretty good.

In Reply To:
Goals this week: 3 swims (1 threshold + 1 vo2 max), run most days (one speed), ride 2x, shoulder/hip exercises twice. And continue to do a good job with food.

One rough day with eating but overall good. Swim workouts done; two speed workouts running (a 5k in 23:01 and a progressive run Thursday). Only did shoulders once... I really have to do those if I want to keep that swim volume.

M - 8.5 mi run + 4500 yd swim
T - 6 mi run + 4500 yd swim
W - 8 mi run + 20 mi bike
T - 6 mi run + 5000 yd swim
F - 8.5 mi run + 4800 yd swim
S - 8.5 mi run + 1 mi walk, hip/shoulder exercises
S - 8.5 mi run + 1 mi walk, 25 mi bike + hip exercises

Totals: 18,800 yds swum; 45 mi bike; 54 miles run

Goals for this week: >100 miles cycling; I am told the rain is coming so I really should do bike time now and pool time later!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was OK. I am getting used to my new work schedule but my sleeping has been crap. I have been consistently waking up roughly an hour earlier than my alarm (alarm at 5am) which has sucked and left me feeling like I have an "not enough sleep" headache all day.
I am also usually waking up one other time during the night. So on average, twice a night. Ugh.
Made the realization I have to cut back on training until after my board exams. This makes me crabby but it is reality. So I'm revising. Hoping to do about 30 mins run, 30 mins bike each day.
That is about all I can handle with work, studying, and eating/bathing/etc.
Exams are Nov. 15, 16 and a practical exam on Dec. 8th in St. Petersburg FL.

Raced two cyclocross races last weekend. Saturday's race sucked. I rode in fear the whole time. Course was super bumpy, I did fall, pretty hard, and the people who showed up and rode mt. bikes were happy. Only bright spot is that I was the last person to not get lapped by the lead man.

Sunday's race was comp-ed because my husband's bike got somewhat wrecked on Saturday (rear deraileur snapped in half due to piece of wire on course, it wrapped up in his cassette and deraileur).
Sunday's race was much better. 4 laps, 2 falls, but I was closer to racing and not in fear the whole time. Still not my type of course as it was VERY bumpy. Again was the last person to not get lapped by the lead man.
Cyclocross is tough for me, I have much more fitness than bike handling skills, even though I have been doing this forever.
No, please don't suggest I take up mt. biking. I have tried and I really don't like it.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 1 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have done mountain biking a couple times, and I'm w/ you. It's tough to be scared and white knuckled the whole time you're trying to go fast. But good job on both races. You finished and you're still in one piece!!!

As to the waking early. I think you're on track w/ cutting w/o some, but not totally. And maybe if you're going to wake early, go to bed an hour earlier and just do what needs getting done in the a .m., instead of before going to bed.

Good luck - what kind of boards are you taking??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only running this week

Monday - 6.5
Tuesday 7.6
Wednesday 6.2 a.m., 10.6 hills p.m. (tough run)
Thurday - rest
Friday 7.4
Sat 5
Sunday 21.5
Total - 64.8

I had a good week volume - wise. But feel just on the edge of getting a running injury. Still having hip / hamstring problems for the last year, and now my calves are talking to me. I will listen. My plan for this next week is to take most of the week off. At most 3 runs, all easy. Starting the next week, I'm going to lower running volume, increase intensity of one or two of the runs, and add 2-3 days of biking.

Happy training everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I accomplished my goal of SFA for the week, although I had the ambition for a 10mi run - silly me - it ended up being 6mi instead. That's ok. I needed the break.

This week I have to travel (again) for work (sigh), I fly out tomorrow to Texas (auditing a battery factory in Mexico - blech) and fly back Fri. So...

M: Run 35' aerobic (lunch)
T: Run 90' (am)
W: Run 30' somehow
R: Ditto Wed (audit will be done but I will be cooked)
F: Fly at 0600, arrive at YVR then Drive to Kelowna (~4hrs). Bupkis. Diddly. Nothing.
St: Long run of some distance (min 90')
Sn: if I'm stupid enough, I will show up for the Okanagan 1/2 Marathon and treat it as training run.

However: last Tues I stopped eating wheat. Today will make 1 full week. My belly bloat has all but vanished, I feel a lot better, a lot more energetic, and my poops are almost normal again. I'm going to keep at it for another week and see how it goes.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started working with a new coach this week so it was nice to get back to structured training. But I do have to admit after 6-8 months of self-coaching, it is hard to not want to add to or amend workouts. But I trust him completely so I just have to focus on my plan. Brief summary:

Monday: yoga/recovery run
Tuesday: bike/recovery run
Wednesday: swim/run
Thursday: recovery run
Fri: strength/run
Saturday: long run/swim
Sunday: bike X2 (second was with a friend who was pulling her kids in a burley).

Each week my wrist is getting stronger in the pool and hurts much less on the run. It doesn't mind trainer rides but still hates the bumps and jars from outdoor riding. I had the mountain bike out on a limestone path and realized that I still don't have the strength to handle single track. Hopefully that comes soon.

Oh, and I signed up for the Triple T (my fourth time). And I am so excited to get back to racing there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- run x 5: WIN with a decently long run.
- bike x 3: FAIL with 2, but one of them was slightly long..
- swim x 3: WIN
- core/strength x 4: WIN

i probably shouldn't have run 10 miles (for the first time since march) the day before a 50k mountain bike race. that said, i had an amazing time coming in almost dead last at the mtb race! it was the only time tanker and i have raced together this year, i didn't come off my bike, i wussed out and walked a LOT of stuff, stopped to take photos, couldn't eat or drink on the bike with my gimped hand, but also ended up riding a lot more of the technical stuff than i would have expected and thoroughly enjoyed myself. i even met a rock garden for the first time since snapping my wrist, and made it through just fine (despite thinking OHSHITOHSHITOHSHITI'MGONNADIE) - the cast is badly beaten up, but the wrist itself is ok and i see the ortho on wednesday so i can either ditch it entirely (i have a brace i'm going to bring with me to see if i can just use that) or get a new cast put on.

this week's goals:
- run x 6
- bike x 3
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 4

have a 25k trail race on the 13th, and i've done bugger all for long runs since early spring. going to take it easy to try to get my legs feeling good after yesterday's sufferfest in the hills and trails; just staying consistent.

determination, i'm totally with you on the "better fitness than bike handling skills"...and my fitness isn't that great, either!

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Oct 1, 12 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 1 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I shall try studying in the morning. I mean, it's 4am, and for heaven's sake I definitely don't want to workout that early (although I know some do). I have been forcing myself to go to bed at 9pm. With a wake up time of 5am, that's 8 hours.
Prior to this, I was going to bed at 10pm and getting up at 7am. 9 hours in the sack, which is what I vastly prefer.
I can't seem to get to bed any earlier than 9pm, and I'm even forcing myself to do bedtime that early.

I also think stress is interfering with my sleep, and there's other factors going on too.

Board exams for orthotics. I'm on my way to being an orthotist, someone who makes custom bracing for people. Right now I'm doing a yearlong prosthetic residency, someone who makes artificial limbs for people.
After that I can take the board exam for prosthetics and have the title "CPO" - certified orthotist-prosthetist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mixed bag. Big set back on the leg rehab front meant I had to cut swim yards in half, and back off all other activities.

Did training 5k and 1 mile ows races, and made my paces.

AWARE, there were a couple of ringers racing in my AG that will be swimming the Suck next weekend. I thought of you. How are the final days of countdown going?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate major sked adjustments like that too - plus the stress doesn't help. You might want to try a mild session of exercise/yoga stretching before bed. It might help you sleep better. The stress will be the kicker, and if you're like me, you use exercise to deal with stress. So cutting back on exercise will compound the problem...

Can you ride a trainer and read your material? Can you record some of it (yes, you reading it to yourself) and then pod-cast it and listen while running? Pin up posters etc in front of the treadmill? Rent a video/dvd of the material? :-)

I had a similar situation recently, and I ended up taking a day off work, getting in a nice long easy run with my dog, and getting a massage. BOOM! Back at it the next day. Maybe try to reset your self a bit?

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 1 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh, they've certainly been going. Hit most of my training last week despite recovering from the fatigue of the race the week before. Then I got hit with an UGLY sinus infection/cold that hit hard Friday after morning practice. I made it through a lunch interview before limping to the doctor. I then proceeded to sleep from about 4p on Friday until Monday morning with only two excursions out of the house for meals. I watched most of the Ryder Cup for the love of God. Boyfriend was begging me to go to practice on Monday morning! I swam easy but kicked up a fever afterward & felt puny still. Rested yesterday but gave a run at practice this morning & had a reasonable time of it.

The illness forced an early and much more intense (i.e. little to no effort) taper than I anticipated. I felt marvelous in the water on Monday morning (despite how I felt three hours later) and felt pretty reasonable today. I've been sleeping wonky and have been a bit jittery during the day which means I am fully tapered at this point. Hopefully the travel today & tomorrow induce some quality rest.

Headed to VA today for a meeting tomorrow then back & then it's off to swim for a realllllllly long time. I anticipate a fun day. No spectacular times, no earth-shattering revelations, just a good challenge, great scenery, a good event with a good friend (and new ones) and a whole lot of water in my sinuses. Good thing I've got a head start on antibiotics....should be entertaining.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 1 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I could find someone else to record my studies, I'd be golden. ha ha! I hate listening to myself.

I do get to re-charge on Fridays. working M-Th, it helps. I'm sleeping well on the weekends, just not during the week.

I do have a good 'unwind' routine before bed. I am hitting the hay and falling asleep no problem. But then I wake up, and stay awake. It sux.

Yes, I am like you and totally use exercise to deal with stress. So here I am, cut back on exercise and having to study more... I'm sure I'll survive, somehow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well hang in there and imagine <Brad Pitt/Daniel Craig/Other> reading to you.... mmmm.... oh yeah... ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? October 1 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hilarious! :)
Quote Reply