Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fast & Aero Xsmall tri bike with 700
Quote | Reply
Can anyone chime in on a great xsmall frame with 700 wheels? I want to get some ideas of the bikes models that I should be looking at.
I currently ride 650's and I love them, but I've been told to test out some bikes with 700, so I really don't need this to turn into a debate about 650 vs 700. Just want to know my options.

I'm currently riding an older aluminium Cannondale slice, size 48 and I'm about 5'2.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Fast & Aero Xsmall tri bike with 700 [VancouverAmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wondering why someone told you to look at 700 wheels? Typically for someone at 5'2", trying to ride a steep tri bike, the only option is 650 wheels. I doubt you can find any tri bike for your height that uses 700s.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Fast & Aero Xsmall tri bike with 700 [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased a new road bike this year, an Argon 18 XXS with 700 wheels, and I look very good on it, so I wanted to try some tri bikes with 700. I might have to stay with 650, but just want to see whats out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pinarello makes a nice 48/49 with700s - check out La Biciletta.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Fast & Aero Xsmall tri bike with 700 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Andy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as you understand that the geometry of small bikes is such that it is impossible to get "fast & aero" with 700 wheels. The math just doesn't work because there's not enough distance between the wheels to make it so.

By the way, I'm 5'2" as well. Been there, done that. I also have 700 wheels on my road bike with a fast & aero 650 tri bike. Next time I buy another road bike, I'm buying custom if I have to, but I'll never buy anything that's too big for me again. Dan Empfield has written several good articles about proper bike sizing for smaller people on the main page. PM him if you can't find them. Being this size definitely limits options; good luck with your search...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Fast & Aero Xsmall tri bike with 700 [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"As long as you understand that the geometry of small bikes is such that it is impossible to get "fast & aero" with 700 wheels. The math just doesn't work because there's not enough distance between the wheels to make it so."

It's not just the distance between the wheels -- The space between my 650 front wheel and my aerobars is less than 10c; I am just over 5' and as low as I can possibly get on any noncustom bike. I think if I had 700 wheels, the brake caliper might hit the bottom of the aerobars, and I don't think I could get the cable housing in there. It's not as big a problem in a more upright roadie position.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast & Aero Xsmall tri bike with 700 [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points ladies. I ride a 49 frame with aero cockpit/seat slammed/etc. I find it works for me. I also have 3 sets of 700 wheels so I am not interested in a 650 configuration. If I rode a "traditional" tri bike, maybe. But I don't ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sizes go a bit weird at extremes so I am not sure whether a Cannondale is still a relatively tall frame.

Assuming it is then you might want to look at a Scott Plasma (I am not sure the Premium will go that small but a 10 or 20 might). Also, Blue and Specialized. I am guessing that Specialized might be the closest fit-wise.

And once you've done that buy another 650 :)

Feel a bit weird posting in a ladies forum. I was doing a 650 search, my wife rides a 650. Her other bike just looked weird in 700's. Two huge wheels with a little frame stretched between them. It was a Trek. She has a Felt roadie and tri bike now. She is infinitely faster on her Felt with 650 than on her Trek with 700's.

Have fun trying them though.

VancouverAmy wrote:
Can anyone chime in on a great xsmall frame with 700 wheels? I want to get some ideas of the bikes models that I should be looking at.
I currently ride 650's and I love them, but I've been told to test out some bikes with 700, so I really don't need this to turn into a debate about 650 vs 700. Just want to know my options.

I'm currently riding an older aluminium Cannondale slice, size 48 and I'm about 5'2.
Thanks

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fast & Aero Xsmall tri bike with 700 [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brokenspoke wrote:
Just wondering why someone told you to look at 700 wheels? Typically for someone at 5'2", trying to ride a steep tri bike, the only option is 650 wheels. I doubt you can find any tri bike for your height that uses 700s.

BrokenSpoke

....or a 15" high BB! ;-)

Jim Verheul
JBV Coaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I adore my Cervelo P3 ... i'm 5ft 2 (less by the end of the day) and the Cervelo 48cm frame has 650 wheels and fits so perfectly...i feel so comfortable and not at all stretched out - and i did look at the bikes with 700s but they quite simply just didn't cut the mustard. So really i'm just saying that 650 seems to be the way for us vertically challenged riders. My roadie has 700s and it's no where near as nice to ride. Keep buying 650s so there's still a demand for the parts for all of us shorties!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't listen to the 700c hate. I am a hair under 5 and I have 4 bikes, two with 650c and two w 700. love all four. I will say that my TT bike is indeed on 650c but I am much shorter than you

i have a very good friend who is a cat 2 roadie and has won state championships in both ITT and TTT. She won a shit ton of TTs as a cat 3

she's 5"2 and rides a fuji TT bike and had a fantastic fitting from....I forget who?

anyway, it's your body and your bike. Ride what feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'4 and ride a scott plasma with 700 wheels...but I have never ridden on 650s, so I can't give a comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VancouverAmy wrote:
I purchased a new road bike this year, an Argon 18 XXS with 700 wheels, and I look very good on it, so I wanted to try some tri bikes with 700. I might have to stay with 650, but just want to see whats out there.

http://www.ebay.ca/...;hash=item51a29ff459
Check this deal out Amy, I've bought lots of stuff from this ebay store

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Fast & Aero Xsmall tri bike with 700 [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks so much for the heads up!!
I like that it's in Canada too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi... Guru Bikes is know for custom, but they offer a more price-friendly stock geometry with a better-than-most fit. The smallest size is roughly a 48, with 700 wheels. It's about as small as as frame can get before going to 650s. The CR. 701 is a great balance of aero, stiff drivetrain (fast) and vertical compliance (comfort). (As a bonus, they are Canadian...)
Quote Reply
Re: Fast & Aero Xsmall tri bike with 700 [avclr2012] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a couple frames in that size range (and 700s) hanging in my garage. I just haven't gotten around to posting them, . drop me a note at avclr2012 at gmail.com if you want details and pics. Otherwise you'll see them in the classifieds in the next few weeks...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched from a cervelo p2 with 650 wheels. To orbea ordu inch with 700 wheels...definitely felt I had way more power. Now on Kuota kween k. 48" with 700 wheels...more aero/not as much power. I might try Trek speed concept...as it is sitting in my basement (my 16 year old had growth spurt). I am 5'31/2".. So I am a little taller than you...but I have very short legs. I have shorter friends that have done well with kestrel and felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a Cervelo S2 (700 wheels btw) in a 48 as my road bike (I'm 5') and bought a size small Specialized Shiv with 700s as my tri bike. Shiv has alot of adjustability and I was able to get a really good fit. Had to cut the seatpost down quite a bit but that's not surprising given my size. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Argon 18 XS frames and Stevens Volt XS both run 700 wheels
Quote Reply