Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you sleep?
Quote | Reply
I am doing IM LOU in a few weeks as my first IM. I have done lots of other events, including HIM and international ski racing competitions, so I am not new to high pressure competition. I am all amped up already and wondering if anyone has any tricks to help you sleep the night before? TIA!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you sleep? [lesage918] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned it is more important to get good sleep two nights before the race. Most people can deal with one night of sleep deprivation but two is too much.

Ask yourself what it is you are thinking about that affects your sleep. Personally I worry over details and try to analyze whatever situation I am in to find all possible solutions. If I can do all of that before I get into bed it is much easier to sleep.

For the worries about details I will make a list of everything I'm worried about. For example, Don't forget to put extra socks in my T2 bag in case I want them. Don't forget some Sport Shield wipes for chafing. Etc etc etc over and over. I find once I get it out of my head and onto paper or whatever electronic device I'm using I can relax. It is usually me worrying about forgetting something so I run a list through my head over and over. Write it down as you think of things during the day.

For the problem solving analysis, I really struggle with that. I do find that talking it through with someone else, regardless of what it is, can relieve that. The really really big, life changing stuff, usually requires a sleep aid :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was surprisingly calm before my one and only IM. I just kept telling myself that I had done the prep work and I just had to be happy with whatever the outcome would be. I knew I was going to finish the race unless something crazy happened like getting 3 flats. That was a great feeling to know I had done the work and I just had to enjoy the benefits of that work.

Stop allowing yourself to worry about stuff that you can't control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lie in bed and tell myself "relax, there is nothing you can do about 'X' right now". 'X' is whatever you are worrying about.

If there is something I forgot to grab, etc., I get up and set it out or take care of it.

But yes, the night before the night before is more important. Both IMs I had trouble falling asleep and then had to get up so early... and I was OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I placed a lot of trust in the 'laundry list' of items I would need on a plastic card sent from USAT. The only addition I had was to bring a headlamp. In Ironman races, once you're away from the car, you don't really need that either.

Many, many people have come before you in this sport. You have long prepared for what you are about to do. Rest assured that you have NOT forgotten anything.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the sooner you get yourself on an early to bed schedule the better. Sleep in the week leading up to the race is way more important to sleep the night before.

The day before the race get up extra early (about the same time you will be on race day) so go to bed extra early. Take a short nap in the AM (before 10 AM) if you can. Eat dinner super early (4-5) and then find a book to read, don't use the computer, don't watch TV. After dinner stay out of the light, just a small light to read by, have the curtains closed. Try to not drink caffeine at all that day, if you have to then just have 1 small amount when you first wake up.
Quote Reply