Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been looking around for a bike for a buddy and stumbled across this today. Not what we are looking for but thought of this thread.

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/...bike/6224910325.html

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked this one up yesterday, still in the process of getting it set up. Does anyone have any details on how the rear derailleur cable is supposed to be routed, and how the cable housings are routed around the headset?

Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone on this Softride thread have an opinion on this specific frame?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-SOFTRIDE-POWER-V-Carbon-FRAME-Beam-TT-Road-Bike-FRAME-SET-700C-/263120554295?hash=item3d43350937:g:lCAAAOSwqklZfMZG

I would do an electronic shifting set up on it so I don't care about cable routing.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey DamonHenry, I know that was many years ago, but do you happen to have more pictures of the bento box, nutrition system and flat kit you made? I'd love to steal some of your ideas.😅
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [seiken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seiken wrote:
Hey DamonHenry, I know that was many years ago, but do you happen to have more pictures of the bento box, nutrition system and flat kit you made? I'd love to steal some of your ideas.😅[/quote]
[/url]
My iterations are now made from a holographic mirror material that photographs as splotchy colors.
[/url] Since my early versions in 2011, many bikes (the P5X for example) have followed the route of full system integration for aerodynamic and race use efficiency. Studying the P5X will get you close down by your feet. Your bike and fit are a unique combination. For your bento and nosecone consider the whole front end airfoil with rider as a system and how you need things set up when you race. Then, test and test and modify.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
[/url]
My iterations are now made from a holographic mirror material that photographs as splotchy colors.

Does that mean you have a bunch of old carbon fiber ones laying around your garage? Cause i will buy a set off you if that's the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old versions are used for back testing. As you will no doubt rediscover, evolution is not linear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok Damien, last question. When you rerouted your cables, what did you do to fill the holes on the side of the bike? I want to keep the polished aluminum finish, and I can't find any filler that will polish right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most any tape meets your aerodynamic needs. Either aluminum tape or silver Mylar tape covers the holes to be invisible from more than a few feet away. Any graphic decal you desire could be a feature rather than blending in.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Billyk24 wrote:

Brian Francis of Michigan averaging 28mph.

wow - that guy's seat angle looks like it's past 90 degrees!

Saw him in action today. averaged 29.5 today on that crazy set-up.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [mdiet22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what are these bikes worth nowadays?

There is one relatively local to me for $500.

Waiting to hear from the person.. looks like a carbon frame?

Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be a steel frame Softride PowerWing circa 1999.
Not sure what the going price is but $500 sounds quite reasonable.

@Kid
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had discussions with the guy, its a carbon model.

Was upgraded with various parts, ridden a handful of times and then shelved as a centerpiece for this persons collection. Stored in a garage since then.

Pretty tempted...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't think Softride frames were ever made in carbon. Are you sure he's just not referencing the beam?
Anyway, seems like a really good deal if size works for you.

FYI, I use my Softride PowerWing exclusively on my indoor trainer these days - may look into getting it road-ready again one day.

Good luck!
@Kid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a Softride Power V. Frame body is carbon with a carbon/elastomer suspension beam. The PowerWing model was an aluminum body.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone happen to have a sizing chart for the Softride frames & beams? I recently picked up a Rocket for the component group, will be selling off the frameset but I have no idea what size they are. No markings on frame or beam that denote sizes from what I can see.

Thanks!
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Hammer50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Small, medium & Large were the only sizes I think. I know when I bought mine around 1999 I bought a Large and it was the largest frame set available. But I don't have any dimensions to give you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just found my old Softride product catalog while cleaning up my parts bin the other day.

Measure the head tube:

For the Rocket TT (650c wheels), the head tube is 10.5, 15.5, or 17cm for S, M, L.

For the Rocket TT7 (700c wheels), the head tube is 14.5, 15.5, 18, or 18.5cm for the S/M, M/L, L, or XL.

(I still have a fondness for my ClassicTT, even though I never ride it any more. Someday I'll probably get rid of it, but that day hasn't come yet!)

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Mark - very helpful! If you have the ability to scan and post that product catalog I’d love a copy of it
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark, thanks again - measured the head tube and it is dead on 15.5cm so looks like I have me a size medium here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad it helped. I'm too lazy to scan in the entire catalog (which was mostly just one page for each bike model, plus a few pages dedicated to explaining how you save at least 200 watts and never get tired, because Softride bikes were magic like that :-)).

But I snapped a pic with my cell phone of the Rocket TT page:

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next