Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit rubbing causing issues, any advice?
Quote | Reply
All:
I have a profile design Bionik 2 wetsuit that I purchased this off season to replace my POS that I bought online. I had the wetsuit "profressionally" fitted so it appears to fit well however the only issue i've discovered is that the neck of the wetsuit rubs on the back of my neck. It tends to become an issue when during longer training (over 3/4 mile) due to the constant head turning for breathing and sighting. The rubbing of the suit eventually causes a sore which is quite painful and takes away from the swim and then the bike/run due to having an open sore on your neck where sunscreen and sweat gets into.

Does anyone have any advice to something I can do to the wetsuit to stop this from happening? I have tried suit juice and body glide and while those work they quickly wear off from the rubbing and water.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit rubbing causing issues, any advice? [Am00re34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This issue is most easily addressed by putting a good coverage of Body Glide on your neck - I actually use it under my arm pits as well - as often that area also becomes chaffed. But ensure you do not use a petroleum Jelly type of product as this can damage the wetsuit.

Hope this helps.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit rubbing causing issues, any advice? [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use body glide and A LOT of it. The body glide does help and allows me to make it about 3/4 of a mile before I start to notice that it is rubbing and causing a sore.

I have had people tell me "just cut down the area on the neck to stop it from rubbing" while that may work I dont want to cut up my brand new wetsuit if there is another option that exists.

My current plan is to just swim enough to hopefully build up a callas (sp?) in the area so I can make it throught he IM swim in September without any neck sore issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit rubbing causing issues, any advice? [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the body glide.

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit rubbing causing issues, any advice? [jmeitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I experienced the same issues with my wetsuit. Specifically during salt water swims. I applied lots of Body Glide but it only lasted about 10 minutes. I went out and purchased medical grade tape to try but have not had a chance to try it yet. Has anyone else tried the tape route? I realize that it may not 'look cool' but the only ones that will see it will be behind me. In my case that may mean that no one may see it as I'm not the fastest swimmer. For those that do see it....They will be behind me and if they are behind me that means they have bigger issues to be worry about.

Thoughts and feedback on using tape?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have someone zip you up? Sounds silly but whenever I put on my Xterra suit by myself I chaff my neck. Whenever someone else does it up no issues. It is all about getting that neoprene zipper cover up in the right spot it seems.

Otherwise I watch many people swimming with vasoline, which I no they say isn't good for the suit, but it will last longer on your neck than body glide.

And medical tape or even duct tape might do the trick.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree on the Body Glide, but this can also be swim technique related as well.

Do you twist to breath or, do you have good body roll? Many weaker swimmers do not have good body roll and twist their heads to breath - this causes chafing issues at the neck line for wetsuits. You hardly ever see neck chafing issues with the better swimmers or swimmers of any speed that have good body roll and swim technique. If you roll properly, you hardly need to twist your neck at all to breath!!

Hope this helps.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit rubbing causing issues, any advice? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
Do you have someone zip you up? Sounds silly but whenever I put on my Xterra suit by myself I chaff my neck. Whenever someone else does it up no issues. It is all about getting that neoprene zipper cover up in the right spot it seems.

+1. Also, is it the back back of your neck, or the side? Perhaps you have the velcro closure too high/tight/loose?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan on applying either tape or a large waterproof bandage to the back of my neck. My suit doesn't rub that raw, but i feel it and it's distracting...anything that I can do to minimize distractions during an IM, I'll do! Figure it'll take 2 seconds to pull the tape off after the swim...

Steve has a good point about breathing, though... the more you turn your head, the more it will rub...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love it how you said you use body glide multiple times and peopel kept saying, "use glide."

I have the same problem. It is not technique related, it is sensitive skin for me and probably you. No amount of glide will help if the swim is too long. Therefore, I have resorted to taping my neck. I think it is the only thing that works.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit rubbing causing issues, any advice? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Agree on the Body Glide, but this can also be swim technique related as well.

Do you twist to breath or, do you have good body roll? Many weaker swimmers do not have good body roll and twist their heads to breath - this causes chafing issues at the neck line for wetsuits. You hardly ever see neck chafing issues with the better swimmers or swimmers of any speed that have good body roll and swim technique. If you roll properly, you hardly need to twist your neck at all to breath!!

Hope this helps.

Yes this is part of the issue as I sort of do a inbetween. I am a strong swimmer in terms of speed, but i know my form isn't 100%. I've noticed most the chafing is more due to sighting where you have to lift your head up out of the water. This past monday I was able to go about a mile w/o issue and the water was calm (open water), but last week I made it about 1/2-3/4 of a mile before I had a issue but it was VERY choppy so i had to lift my head a lot more.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit rubbing causing issues, any advice? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I love it how you said you use body glide multiple times and peopel kept saying, "use glide."

I have the same problem. It is not technique related, it is sensitive skin for me and probably you. No amount of glide will help if the swim is too long. Therefore, I have resorted to taping my neck. I think it is the only thing that works.

Thank you AJ...I also laugh about the body glide comments. When you say you tape your neck can you elaborate? Do you use a band aid, duck tape, medical tape, etc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Medical Tape, I put it all over the back of my neck. I forgot to do it for Alcatraz and had bad scars; Told people I got attacked by sharks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put body glide around my neck as a base lubricant. Thereafter I apply a gob of petroleum jelly (vaseline) around my neck for extra measure. Yeah, yeah... I've heard that too that vaseline is "bad" for the wetsuit but after 12 years of doing open water swims in multiple brand wetsuits using vaseline, I have NEVER had a wetsuit ruined in the neck because of applying vaseline. NEVER.

Some potential culprits for wetsuit rub are:

- Incorrect head movement during swim as Fleck mentioned;
- Wetsui is pulled tooooo far up the neck maybe a result of pulling the upper portion of the suit toooo far up their body;
- Closing the velcro around the neck too tight (I leave mine open an inch)
- Your neck is too big

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit rubbing causing issues, any advice? [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem and it only started recently while in salt water. My occurrence has only happened once and I am assuming it was because my velcro strap was improperly put on. For me it was definitely from sighting and related to salt water.

Reading these response I may try KT Tape.

I have it in the house for other ailments but if you put it on correctly, it will stay on in the water. I think I will even leave it on for the bike. I will update on my next salt water swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try using a buff, double it up and pull down over your neck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This stuff:
Nexcare Tegaderm Waterproof Transparent Wound Dressing Bandage
http://www.nexcare.com/...294631802&rt=rud
You can find it at Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc.

The stuff is kind of magic: extremely thin, stays on, and is very comfortable. I worked in the wetsuit world for years and spent hundreds of hours trying to design anti-chafe collars. Somewhere along the line, I realized that the best way to prevent chafing is to put something between suit and skin.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit rubbing causing issues, any advice? [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STConcierge wrote:
This stuff:
Nexcare Tegaderm Waterproof Transparent Wound Dressing Bandage
http://www.nexcare.com/...294631802&rt=rud
You can find it at Target, CVS, Walgreens, etc.

The stuff is kind of magic: extremely thin, stays on, and is very comfortable. I worked in the wetsuit world for years and spent hundreds of hours trying to design anti-chafe collars. Somewhere along the line, I realized that the best way to prevent chafing is to put something between suit and skin.

This nexcare stuff is amazing. Cut the bottom of my foot open 1 week for an Ironman a few years ago. Put it on before the swim and it was still there at the end of the marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trislide, trislide and a little more trislide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same issue, people always told me body glide and a bunch of other substances and nothing worked. Put KT or Rock tape (for me rock tape holds on better) on your neck, a horizontal strip the length of your neck covering where it rubs and I promise you it will never bother you again. I do this for all my wetsuit swims.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply