Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: would you wear a livestrong band to an interview? [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but I may be looking for a job in the near future, been at my current job for 23 years, sr executive level position, I am in my mid 50s. Have not really needed to look for a job in the last 15 years, in conversations with a couple friends recently they suggested I put something in my resume about completing a few Ironman races and Spartan beasts, not sure if this a good suggestion or not?

At your age, not a chance you put that on your resume. Your resume should be your work experience.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: would you wear a livestrong band to an interview? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
MacCTD wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but I may be looking for a job in the near future, been at my current job for 23 years, sr executive level position, I am in my mid 50s. Have not really needed to look for a job in the last 15 years, in conversations with a couple friends recently they suggested I put something in my resume about completing a few Ironman races and Spartan beasts, not sure if this a good suggestion or not?

At your age, not a chance you put that on your resume. Your resume should be your work experience.

Way down on the bottom under hobbies and other interests you put running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm agree with everything people have said already, but would add that it can vary depending on the type of industry you're looking to work in. For example, I work at Nike and people tend to put some extracurricular sport activities on their resumes. It can makes sense.

While it's more likely someone at a sports company may be fond of it, it could still have a negative impact. All that to say, I'd error on the side of caution and not include it as everyone else has said.
Quote Reply
Re: would you wear a livestrong band to an interview? [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some could argue that the mental attributes required for endurance sports carry over to the workplace, but I would prefer to see those attributes woven into actual work experience and results on your resume.

One of my employers in Bermuda said he wouldn't hire anyone who promoted themselves as a "triathlete" , particularly an "Ironman" or an obsessed runner, on a resume. He said you only have so much energy in a day and the ones he knew spent most of theirs training, recovering from training, racing or thinking about their next race. He had an employee who did Ironman and said he was just too wrapped up in his sport that he had no time or energy for work.

I think it's best to focus on what you can provide an employer that will help his business. He probably couldn't care less what you do outside of work.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Jan 19, 18 11:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on what line of work you're in.

Do you serve on any boards or put on any local events (tri club, YMCA, etc)? I served on the board of my local Y and so it fit on my resume. I could talk to sport stuff, which is always fun. I could also speak to leadership and board development, budgeting, organizational design, project management, people leadership...and a bunch of other corporate buzz phrases.
Quote Reply
Re: would you wear a livestrong band to an interview? [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put my Bike MS and Back on My Feet activity under "Fundraiser" on my LinkedIn profile in the "Volunteer Experience" field

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next