Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XS WSD Bike
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade to a Tri bike. I'd like to stay with 700cc wheels (not 650cc) so that I can interchange them with my road bike wheels. Problem is, I'm only 5' tall. Any recommendations? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: XS WSD Bike [eo1bart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several women on my team that are about that height have gone with a Ridley Dean RS so they might be worth a look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you have really sweet race wheels for your 700c bike, I wouldn't go out of your way hunting for a 700c to fit you. I'm 5'4 (long legs, short torso), and after a year of debating on what tri bike to purchase, I ended up going with a 650c. The fit was just much better, and I am able to get into a real nice aggressive position. There were no 700c bikes that could get me into as aggressive a position at the time (2011 models). 650c's get lots of hate .. and unfairly so! They really are a great option for a small rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'2" riding a Scott Plasma size 47. Stem is slammed, using the stock 80mm stem, seat post is about 5cm out of the frame, so it could be made a bit smaller if needed. The other frame I was looking at was the Fuji D6. Good luck with your search.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also 5'0". Honestly, I am amazed that you have a road bike w/ 700c wheels which fits well. I have short legs, which may also contribute to my harship finding a bike. I got a Kestrel airfoil pro (size 47) last year and I love the fit. Felt and Trek also have small frames to test. I'd suggest testing frames before you buy. In my opinion the best fit and comfort is most important, don't fall into the trap of getting a Frankensteined bike just b/c you have another bike with bigger wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: XS WSD Bike [mgarel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand the most important thing is proper fit, and will ultimately go with the frame that fits the best. Ideally I will be able to find a frame with the proper fit and 700cc wheels. The main reason I am stuck on the larger wheels is that we have 4 bikes in the stable and would like to be able to swap wheels back and forth. Also the 650cc wheel/tire selection is very limited. I have looked at the Plasma and Fuji online, and they seems like they could work for me. Thanks for the info
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My frient is 5' and just bought a Specialized Expert. She did a lot of research because she wanted 700s. She has a short torso and this bike and a Guru where the only good fits. Don't know which Guru she was looking at.
Quote Reply
Re: XS WSD Bike [blannad67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Expert is not a TT bike, right?

I tried the Specialized Transition in XS, it fit OK but I didn't like the way it handled. You might like it, who knows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought maybe I'd weigh in on a bike I don't recommend (to save you the hassle of checking it out??). I have the Giant Trinity WSD in an XS - I'm 5"5.5 and I actually wish the bike were a bit smaller. It fits a bit bigger than my 50cm H1 Trek Madone (aerobars are higher than the hoods on my road bike, despite flipping the 8 degree stem, and the top tube is longer) . The geometry chart is a bit misleading, for example the claimed top tube length is 49.9cm, but measured center to center it's much longer than that.
Quote Reply
Re: XS WSD Bike [mrak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one of these bikes and actually don't like the particular model (should have spent more $$)....that's the Quintana Roo. A friend who is my heigth (5'1") loves her QR and she has 700 wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before buying any bike, I would recommend that you get a FIST fit from a knowledgeable fitter. Then take those measurements and determine which brand of bike will allow that position. Just because a bike is a "small" size does not mean that it will fit. I struggled with this same problem for almost 8 years. I even had custom bikes made by Seven and Guru. All of which were too big. I thought they fit but had so many problems with saddle issues, etc. I finally went thru a FIST fit at Moment Cycle Sport in San Diego. That's when I learned the source of my problems was the bike size. I now have a tri bike and a road bike that fit and feel amazing! Btw, I'm 5'4". The tri bike has 650c wheels. The wheel size allows a better fitting bike for Tri. My road bike has 700c wheels. If you get the right size bike to start with you'll save yourself a lot money in the long run. Fit and position take priority over everything. Enjoy the time riding instead of struggling.
Quote Reply