Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Random Sports Thoughts/Questions
Quote | Reply
Do the Yankees just flat out suck? Man, they lost 6-2 to the Devil Rays. Things are not going well. 11 wins for $200M, do the math, that's bad.

How can people like the NBA? I can't do it, it just is so meaningless to me. This is my least favorite professional sport, and that includes if they pay people to "play" curling.

Is Kwame Brown the poster child for why you shouldn't draft HS kids in the first round? I think he's now finally 21, he's done nothing in his time in the NBA. The Wizards will have to let him go after his recent poor decisions on playing during the playoffs (seriously, sack up you _____) and in 2 years he'll be serviceable.

Is it bad when you realize in your mid 20's that you are all washed up athletically? I have a bum shoulder, a bad knee and a bad ankle already, all on the same side of my body. Plus I'm nursing a rib injury from a freak bike commuting "incident". I feel 45 already (no diss to those of you older than I).

Do you ever have any "So, how about those <insert team name here>?" conversations with your co-workers who know nothing about sports?

Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to have played a sport in college and then have people who didn't play that sport past age 10 lecture you on it?

How stupid do you have to be to get caught using steroids in the MLB these days?

Anyone else want to b!tch about sports? Clearly I get worked up about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Random Sports Thoughts/Questions [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to have played a sport in college and then have people who didn't play that sport past age 10 lecture you on it?"

Play water polo or rugby. Then noone (mostly) will have a clue what you did in your glory days.

So, Tri, did you play any sports in college?
Yeah, water polo, 4 year starter.
Huh. Well, let me tell you what it was like to be the manager of a division III football team.
Cool, let me get a bigger drink.

Speaking of Glory Days, is that one of the truer songs or what??
Quote Reply
Re: Random Sports Thoughts/Questions [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a lot of water polo in college and some really great water polo at the Sydney Olympics, good stuff.

Stupid Glory Days song. Actually, it's really good, I was just never good enough at anything to actually have had real glory days. But I do appreciate it based on just getting older, feeling less athletic, less skilled, more prone to injuries etc.

How did the manager of a DIII football team story end???????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just terrible. Feeling 45 already. That is positively ancient. Does anyone live that long yet?

Welcome to the wrong side of the mortality curve.

I am hoping the Yankees stay on their current path and lose 100 games. $200 million, 100 games, do the math. Sweet.
Quote Reply
Re: Random Sports Thoughts/Questions [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not ancient, but when you are 26 that is not how your body should feel. Hopefully the decline wouldn't come till the early to mid 30's. If I were a professional athlete at this rate I'd have to retire at 30 or maybe even sooner. Don't feel bad just because you are OLD! ;-)

I love how Washington finally gets a baseball team (for the 3rd time) and Baltimore suddenly finds a way to make smart moves, spend some money and has a really decent team (they won't win the division, the pitching is too weak). Peter Angelos is 100 times worse of a human being then Steinbrenner, and 200 times worse an owner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kwame Brown did come out of high school and has disappointing. However there have been disappointing guys who went to college. Chris Washburn for example, does this mean you should not draft players who went to college.

There have been lots of players who have been drafted out of high school and have backed it up. LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, and Kevin Garnett.

There are lots of people who are in other industries who for whatever reason choose to pursue a career without college. Some are successful and many are not. Lots of successes in the computer industry from people without going to college. Definitely not recomended for most but for those who can pull it off. More power to you. I say live and let live. If someone has the good they will succeed, if not they better pursue something else.
Quote Reply
Re: Random Sports Thoughts/Questions [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say that handful of 5 (plus a few others) do not comprise a list of "lots", but that's really not important.

You can't just go with a "live and let live" view when the whole point of the league is to entertain fans by winning. Kwame hasn't helped the Wizards win (in fact many now argue he held them back, and his selfish action is propelling them to win, great irony if you know the franchise). And I'm not talking about all the other industries, so I'm not sure how related that is. But I know a few people who didn't go to college and did well, others who have suffered.

But what I'm saying about the NBA is that the risk/reward ratio is so bad that teams should consider changing how they draft, but long-time losing franchises will always seek a shortcut. You obviously have to draft a mix of players, and gamble on the HS'ers when appropriate. But the lesson many teams don't seem to learn is it takes large sized HS'ers more time to develop (duh) so paying someone like Kwame all that money to be a first round pick, and do nothing for 4 years, then have another franchise sign a guy and get rewards.

That's waaaaaay too much writing to not care about the NBA huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a lot of writing to not care about the NBA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Anyone else want to b!tch about sports?"

Yeah, how about the heavyweight boxing division.

I'm old enough to remember the golden age of Ali when there was just one HW champ instead of four HW so called champion titles like we have today.

They're all chumps except for Vitali Klitschko.

Problem is that the other three punkasses - Byrd, Brewster and now Toney are all controlled by that asshole Don King. Man is that guy a crook. I wouldn't buy a used car off Don King let alone sign a multi millionaire boxing contract with him. He makes money off the boxers, bleeds them dry and they end up back in the ghetto broke or on skid row.

Andrew Gollotta (sp) is a bum. We did he get to fight each one of King's "champions" while more worthy boxers are passed over.

John Ruiz was always a chump.

Wlad Klitschko has a glass chin but brother Vitali will become the top HW unless Don King has the Russian mafia bump him off.

Don King sucks.

That's my sports rant.
Quote Reply
Re: Random Sports Thoughts/Questions [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought people were saying those European brothers (the Klitschko brothers) were not the real deal.

What do you think of "The Contender"? It's fairly compelling, they highlight the fights and big punches. One of my major drawbacks (and if you don't read "The Sports Guy" on ESPN Page 2 you should) is that Sly is involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I thought people were saying those European brothers (the Klitschko brothers) were not the real deal"

That's Don King's people since he controls three out of four HW champs. The Klitschko bros have refused to sign a long term contract with King and who would blame them.

Vitali is definately for real. Wladamir got knocked out a couple of times but is now on a come back. He's a skillful boxer but his chin is in doubt.
Quote Reply