Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A photo for the mountaineers
Quote | Reply
The View from Everest
Credit & Copyright: Roddy Mackenzie

Explanation: What would it be like to stand atop the tallest mountain on Earth? To see a full panoramic vista from there, scroll right. Visible are snow peaked mountains near and far, tremendous cliffs, distant plateaus, the tops of clouds, and a dark blue sky. Mt. Everest stands 8.85 kilometers above sea level, roughly the maximum height reached by international airplane flights, but much less than the 300 kilometers achieved by a space shuttle. Hundreds of people have tried and failed to climb the behemoth by foot, a feat first accomplished successfully in 1953. About 1000 people have now made it to the summit. Roddy Mackenzie, who climbed the mountain in 1989, captured the above image. Mt. Everest lies in the Himalayan mountains in the country of Nepal. In the native language of Nepal, the mountain's name is "Sagarmatha" which means "forehead of the sky."
Quote Reply
Random Thoughts [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's kind of scary just imagining being there... The hallucinations experienced up there must be pretty tremendous.... It looks so lonely...
Quote Reply
Re: A photo for the mountaineers [GJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way too cool!! I am always surprised at how many triathletes are also climbers. I guess it has something to do with having an obsessive personality.
Quote Reply
Re: A photo for the mountaineers [GJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a real mountaineer and have never done anything like Everest, but I did climb up to about 20,000 ft. in South America once. You have to start the summit ascent at around midnight so you can make it to the peak and back down before the sun softens up the ice too much. Being at that altitude at night with no city lights visible anywhere is incredible. I've never seen so many stars before in my life - virtually the entire sky is filled with them. I'll never forget that image.

Quote | Reply
The first Peak on the left seems just a few feet higher. HMMMM.

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply