Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what do you feed this person for an IM
Quote | Reply
Friend of mine is doing her first IM and we are trying to figure out race day nutrition..

She is allergic to dairy, soy, and gluten and is a vegan.

What choices are there for liquid or solid nutrition for the whole day..

Thanks for your help..
Quote Reply
Re: what do you feed this person for an IM [jimruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does she normally eat in training?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This could be a little tricky, but can be done. Lots of my clients have food allergies/intolerances, etc. I would be more than happy to chat with her to get her going, if she would like a more specific plan, i could work with her.
thanks,
Melissa Li, MS, RD
mli@physiolifestudios.com
Quote Reply
Re: what do you feed this person for an IM [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We only started ramping up the bike riding.. she only had dates.. She has done a marathon solely on dates, but I'm not sure that will work for a full ironman and I'd be a bit concerned about the fiber too..

thanks for your input
Last edited by: jimruns: Apr 27, 12 2:29
Quote Reply
Re: what do you feed this person for an IM [physiolife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I'll see what she wants to do..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally do ultramarathons and use solid food for all of it. Bananas, PB&J on GF bread, cookies, etc. It takes a while to get the body used to solid food, at least it did for me, but I don't use any of the fake sports stuff anymore. Can she make her own sports bars/granola style bars? The exertion level can make it hard for the stomach to digest so it will take some practice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind Bars and peanut butter. After vomiting three times during the swim, they were the only things that I could hold down without losing it again.

Quote | Reply
One thing I've used on long bike rides is roasted potatoes. Learned that from the Womens at the training camp at Xantusia. Use those small, little ones and roast them with olive oil and salt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the bike. Don't know about liquid nutrition being a vegan and all.... also make her own "clif bar" or granola bar with brown rice syrup, and gf stuff, dried fruit etc. And start training with it now so she'll get used to it.

Good luck!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just to present an alternative point of view, there is no dairy, soy, gluten or animal product in most sport beverages (hammer HEED, gatorade, EFS), nor in most gels (powerbar, gu, hammer, EFS liquid shot). no reason not to use them.

the official products of ironman this year (ie: what will be available on course) are:

- gu gels (will work just fine): https://guenergy.com/...roducts-energy-gels/
- ironman perform (processed on equipment that handles egg, milk and soy): http://www.powerbar.com/...ports-drink-mix.aspx
- bonk breaker bars (gluten free, flavours without chocolate chips are soy free and vegan): http://www.bonkbreaker.com/energy-bars

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
There are some excellent suggestions already, but she might also take a look at Brendan Brazier's Thrive books. They have a bunch of vegan training food recipes that might be worth a look.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: what do you feed this person for an IM [mdraegerpnw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just finished some of his Vega shake & go smoothie (chocolate! yum!). His website and the Vega products are pretty awesome, and I'm not vegan - just don't get along with Soy. But I'd use them on a ride, maybe a run if I had trained with it a bit...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: what do you feed this person for an IM [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone.. I will put together a list and let her experiment on what works..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smash up some bake potatoes and add salt to them. put them in little baggies that she can tear the corner of and eat like a gel.

or use baby food bananas (Paula Newby Frasier used to do this)

Honey (or do vegans not eat that?) or agave

balls of sticky rice with salt and honey or agave add in some almonds if she wants protein in there.

larabars or just a handful of dates, though that's a lot of fiber
Quote Reply
Re: what do you feed this person for an IM [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend these or these or these. All are home makable and are tasty (I've had them all).

There are some others here that might be modifiable for a gluten free diet. Sorry for all the links, but I hope it's helpful!
Quote Reply
Re: what do you feed this person for an IM [MBarber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That website has many great recipes for all diets.. I particularly liked the looks of the nanaimo bars.. my restricted diet friends liked many of the other options. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are delicious! (Had you seen that site before? Your reply made me think you might have.)
Quote Reply
Re: what do you feed this person for an IM [MBarber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I hadn't thanks for the heads up.. it looks like a wide range of good looking recipes..

Are you involved with the website?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you have had a lot of suggestions, but two more to add...

PocketFuel is an almond butter based product in a squeezable package ~400 cal per pack and comes with a variety of flavors. I have used it running, cycling, and in the mountains. Made in Hood River OR, but they are starting to sell all over. If she is interested and can't get it, let me know I will send some.

Also for drink I use skratchlabs drink mix (formally secret drink mix). I is all natural and doesn't seem to upset my system the way the other stuff does.

I like the whole food thing too, but this seems like an easy way to accomplish whole foods in an easier package.

Finally, the Honey Stinger Chews are gluten free and dairy...I don't see anything in there that would be animal product, but I know jelly type things sometimes contain animal products.

Best of luck.

Quote | Reply
I am a vegan myself and have raced numerous IM's. Not sure about the gluten part but I take 15 Gu's on the bike and one on the run every 3 miles until I am not able to tolerate them anymore. Then I switch to Coke. Have had much success with this formula.
Quote Reply