Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm getting handier
Quote | Reply
So I've put up two new bookshelves at Casa Vitus. The cheap particle board stuff. Put them both together with no swearing, no burst blood vessels, no damage to the bookshelves, no damage to the structure of the house, no multiple trips to the hardware store to buy tools and materials to fix something I broke, and only four parts from the box left over.

This is a breakthrough of epic proportions. Congratulate me.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: I'm getting handier [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that I'm officially married I'm getting handier too.

Errr.....on second thought that was meant for another thread.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm getting handier [stl_triness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I closed escrow yesterday on a real fixer upper. I need to go to Home Depot this weekend to learn how to use a hammer....and then buy one.

What the hell was I thinking?

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats ... and a warning. Every successfully completed home improvement task adds 3 or 4 more new jobs to the list.

Sometimes it is a curse to be this damn good. Walk with your chest inflated, and strut like JJ Evans (Jimmy Walker, Good Times) ... you deserve it.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple weeks ago I replaced the kitchen faucet in 36 minutes.

I painted a powder room by myself in one hour thirty.

I swapped out my wife's towel rack in about 90 seconds.

But I can't remember the result of my last 10K???

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: I'm getting handier [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
36 minutes?! 90 seconds?! Braggart. I tend to measure these kinds of jobs in hours or, more usually, days.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever you do don't post a pic here. You will receive more criticism for your handy work than if you'd gone on "trading spaces" or "queer house for the straight guy" or something.

Congrats.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats. Now how about that bathroom . . . .
Quote Reply
Re: I'm getting handier [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now how about that bathroom . . . .

Sure, sure . . . just couldn't let me bask in the glory of success, huh? ;)

The bathroom was, after many trials and tribulations, re-assembled into . . . um . . adequate condition before Mrs. Vitus' return home last week. The tiling phase went remarkably smoothly. I bought some nice tile with a deep red rose pattern and installed it pretty much without incident. It wasn't until I had the last tile ready to put in place that I looked up at the walls and realized Mrs. Vitus had painted them blue months ago. Oops. Installing the new toilet was a much worse ordeal. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that as of now, I have a new toilet bowl with the old tank installed on it as a temporary measure. It's working fairly well, which is good, because I seem unable to figure out how to make the tank that came in the same box as the toilet bowl match up. And I managed to ruin the moulding around the bathroom door, and so far haven't been able to find any comparable moulding to replace it.

But those bookcases, they're fine!

Quote Reply