Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
totally see your point on the pinkness...meaning the event should be creating awareness of the issue at hand instead of a pink party!
looks like some $$ was raise and people got moving-a win. I like the suggestion to contact the RD and make some suggestions for the future to bring more awareness and help to the shelter.

Quote | Reply
Oh just be thankful you don't like in a country where it is like this ALL the time. I'm in Japan and I swear to god everything sports related here for women is.... pink. Or pink with dolka dots. Gag. I hate pink. I prefer black. I dislike the "cuteness" of women only events and women's sports in general in this country. Often think "This is why men don't take use seriously" when it comes to sports - at least in Japan. Though yes, the heart is in the right place, it gets women off their butts and going but wow, it makes me roll my eyes and vow to be the only one wearing all black to events. I get that others like the colour but why does pink have to be shoved down our throats? Why not green? Or yellow? Or purple?

I do admit to owning a hot pink running jacket but that is because it is was 50% off and they didn't have my size in the black one. My husband nearly died laughing when he saw me in it the first time. Whatever. It's warm.
Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I like pink when it's for sarcasm.
"

+1.

I also can't stand the pink marketing to female athletes. Give us choices. If there's a charity involved, keep it at the forefront and raise awareness. I'd like to think it's possible to have the fun and inclusiveness of a "pink party"-type event without catering to stereotypes. A far as existing evetns, Irongirl does a pretty decent job and I'll admit I love the dressed-up stuffed duck that I got for racing. A decent amount of pink but also blue and certainly nothing like the mascara signs. Lozilu is a new series that is a women-only mud run. Haven't been to one yet or heard from anyone who has, but the marketing looks much better. I know the founders and they're all young, fun, grounded people (and Lauren is FAST!).

Personally, I like to feel like a bada** when I'm out racing, not a princess... but as others have said, to each her own... :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twitter | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [calbear08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grrr... can't stand pink!! it also reallllly frustrates me that women's track pants don't have pockets to shove your hands in on cold mornings standing around waiting for races because heaven forbid you put something in the pocket and make your hips look bigger!!!!
I'm not a frilly fru fru kind of girl (except when it comes to shoes... small obsession there... ahhh Jimmy/Louboutin...drool)... and i really can't stand that all the marketing for women's stuff and events is pink and cutesy... i thought i was alone in that so nice to hear that i'm not the only one. it would be good for marketing companies and clothing designers to consider that things need to fit our shape (i.e. cater to hips and boobs) but not necessarily "shrink and pink" - i do love that expression!
thanks for the support girls!
happy triathloning! :)
Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [noodlecat77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we loop all things flowery into the pink genre?

Why do all women's jerseys apparently need floral themes? It's like the world apparently needs to see us in pink & flowers in order for any/everyone to remember that we are women? Or for us to remind ourselves?

I just want a semi-plain, reasonably colored cycling jersey. Just a jersey people....no pink, purple or flowers. I just don't get it.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:

Why do all women's jerseys apparently need floral themes?
It's like the world apparently needs to see us in pink & flowers in order for any/everyone to remember that we are women? Or for us to remind ourselves?
It is called MONEY! While many of us don't like that pink floral crap, others do and will spend a lot of money on it which is why it won't go away any time soon.

Quote | Reply
Lots of us wear pink when we compete because it's just another color. That's it. No ulterior motive.
Others wear it as a way to exult in their identity as a woman...it's something we can do that distinguishes us from the mens. It's ours and ours alone.
And some of us, myself included, avoid it for that very reason. My identity...the way I want to be perceived...is "athlete", period. My gender isn't as important as my speed and toughness, and I don't feel fast and tough when I wear pink. So I choose other colors.

That being said, some of the fastest, toughest women I've raced wear pink. I often wonder if that's just what they happened to pack in their race bag, or if it's a conscious way they've chosen to express their identity as an athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel the way about those ridiculous girly races as I do about the rash of mud runs lately. I have done them, and don't take them seriously as races, but they are fun as events. You gotta have fun with it; nobody does Race for the Cure hoping for a PR, at least not in Seattle. Same with the Athleta Iron Girl. If you want to do the 10k, you'll have a fantastic first lap, but about 6k in, you're constantly dodging overweight walking, race t-shirt wearing princess pink tiaras. With strollers, and dogs and kids and their five friends from work they convinced to come out and do it. The first time, I got irritated at the race directors for the poor planning, since it's a flat fast course and I was trying to go under 39, but then I thought shit, these ladies are all out here, all of them are at least making some kind of attempt to finish this race and maybe that walker is working just as hard as I am, and we're both out here doing this thing. After that rush of comraderie passes, the t-shirts suck, I don't wear mascara, and for christ's sake, I do not want a super tight v-cut dryfit shirt that shows off what are closer to pecs than boobs. But, my sister lost her 5k 'virginity' and we had an awesome time watching moms and grandmas and all the ladies in between finish their first or second or 50th race and it was uplifting....for what it was. Yeah it's ridiculous, just like it's ridiculous for a bunch of Starbucks-chugging yuppies flounder around in the mud and over obstacles that are just trying too hard to be obstacles, but it's fun. For them. I've got a couple trail races that could put Survivor Zombie Spartan Sprint through the wringer, but that's not why we go to these things. I think, donate directly to your cause if you want to avoid the princess party, but don't downplay the heft that fun can have and celebrate all those ridiculous couch to 5kers out there making the effort.
As far as pink and shrink goes, it's just as bad on the other side. Might as well call it "enlarge and darken". Gender-based marketing is totally freaking ridiculous IMHO, I'll take functional of any color.
Quote Reply
Re: A rant on pink t-shirts [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:

Why do all women's jerseys apparently need floral themes? It's like the world apparently needs to see us in pink & flowers in order for any/everyone to remember that we are women? Or for us to remind ourselves?

I just want a semi-plain, reasonably colored cycling jersey. Just a jersey people....no pink, purple or flowers. I just don't get it.

This would be why I bought a couple of the Twin Six women's jersey's with skulls on them :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next