Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help for a gift
Quote | Reply
I have 2 friends that are both graduating from Med school and I would like to get them a grad. gift--- I was thinking of a book-- but don't have any good ideas-- Have anything that might fit the bill?

Can you think of any biographies or "leadership" type/life wisdom type books?
Quote Reply
Re: Help for a gift [chainring711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Kite Runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a little hint on thier personalities -- at least whether they are male or female.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about an engraved stethoscope?

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help for a gift [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One female, one male

female-- very concientious, thoughtful, philosophical, Caring ( the type that would go work with kids as a volunteer)

Male--- goofy, political (was a poly sci major), interested in current events, politics, etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have friend graduating from Texas Tech next month and since he really isn't a stuff person I'm getting him an engraved compass so he can figure out where he is going and also where he has been.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One female, one male

female-- very concientious, thoughtful, philosophical, Caring ( the type that would go work with kids as a volunteer)

Male--- goofy, political (was a poly sci major), interested in current events, politics, etc

for the male:

The Virtues of War : A Novel of Alexander the Great (Hardcover)
by Stephen Pressfield

In the light of the current world environment, your friend will enjoy reading this book. With similarities to Sun Tzu's "The Art of War, he goes right to the heart of the matter in Virtues: this book is Alexander the Great's Art of War. Where previous Pressfield novels detailed what the individual combatant was thinking and feeling, Virtues focuses on the leader, the man in charge of it all, logistics, material, tactics, strategy, morale and every other aspect of war and life.

For the female -- Art - like a painting or sculpture -- but the piece of art must "say something" about the two of you. Example: The two of you used to Hot Air Balloon together -- get a painting of hot air balloons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are they going into?

Male-- pediatrics (Med. Coll. Va)

female-- family practice (U of Penn)
Quote Reply
Re: Help for a gift [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sparticus--- Thanks for the suggestions-- both of them good and appreciated. I am surprised that you didn't suggest a biography of your namesake :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The original Sparticus book by Howard Fast is just plane hard to read -- like Herman Melville (Moby Dick) -- great story but the english he writes is hard to follow and very dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Politics:

_Ghost_Wars_ by Steve Coll

Recent winner of the National Book Award, this is the fascinating story of US involvement in Afghanistan; in which our tax dollars French-kiss radical Islam in exchange for dead commies. Coll is a great writer, this is a great story, even when you know how it ends.

Medicine:

_How_We_Die by Dr. Sherwin B. Nuland.

Amazingly detailed account of how human beings die, and how modern medicine is structured so that it's usually in a lot of pain. When the author's brother is stricken with cancer, he vows not to repeat the mistake of prolonging a low-quality life. His failure to do so provides the impetus for writing this book, which won the Pulitzer back in 1994. No doctor's bookshelf should be without it.

Social:

_Collapse_ by Jared Diamond.

A fascinating examination of societies' impacts and interactions with their environments. A bit on the alarmist side of environmentalism perhaps, but the bizarre shit that went down on Easter Island is worth the price alone. _Guns_Germs_and_Steel_ (also by Diamond) is excellent, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Help for a gift [tri_larry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the suggestions

I PM you about the Diamond books
Quote Reply