Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [dteed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would add "El Mariachi" to the long list(The original, $10000 version)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Subway with Christopher Lambert. It starts with an awesome urban car chase through Paris ending going down the steps and through the doors into the Metro!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But only the first Highlander movie. I do not acknowledge any other movies after that exist.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

There were no other Highlander movies.......la la la la la I can't hear you lalalalallalalalalallalalalalallal I said no other Highlander movies.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not "cultish" enough but the Commitments is pretty good fun. Irish soul band, mystical sax player and the worship of Elvis by Star Trek's engineer, pretty hard to beat.

Also would support Buckaroo Banzai as may have earlier.

fal7 in Houston.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [fal7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Trouble in Little China -- Kurt Russell

also -- Escape from New York
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension (1984) was directed by W.D. Richter, who wrote the screenplay to Big Trouble in Little China (1986)If you watch the end of Buckaroo Banzai, the film mentions a potential sequel called "Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League." Supposedly, Richter was writing this Banzai sequel and, under John Carpenter's direction, it eventually morphed into Big Trouble in Little China.

Ah, but the plot thickens. In 1996, a BB fan named Ernest Cline wrote a professional screenplay of "World Crime League" which almost made it big time.

Most interestingly, his script has several scenes with none other than wise-cracking, truck-driving Jack Burton! ... here's the first scene with Jack:

A trucker, wearing a ball cap and sunglasses, walks out of the station eating
a huge submarine sandwich. He's got a saddlebag slung over his shoulder.
He glances at the Jet Car, and Buckaroo motions to him.

BUCKAROO
Excuse me, sir. Do you know who that
truck over there belongs to?

TRUCKER
Jack Burton . . . Me.

BUCKAROO
Well, Mr. Burton, we need to get this car to
Holland Township, New Jersey as quickly as possible.
If you'd be willing to tow us with your rig, we'd be
glad to compensate you.

JACK BURTON
That won't be necessary, Dr. Banzai.

Jack turns sideways so that they can all see the Blue Blaze Irregular
patch on the shoulder of his jacket.

JACK BURTON
You pay for the speeding tickets and I'll have you back
at the Institute in an hour, tops.

BUCKAROO
Thank you, Mr. Burton.

JACK BURTON
Call me Jack.

BUCKAROO
Buckaroo.
(shaking his hand)
Say Jack, mind if I have half your sandwich there?
I'm starving. Skipped breakfast.

JACK
(handing him the sub)
Knock yourself out, Buckaroo.
(to the others)
Reno, Rawhide, Sid, if you fellas push her around in back
of the 'ole Porkchop Express there, I'll hitch ya on.

They are all a bit stunned and impressed that he knows their names. They start
pushing, and Tommy smiles and hops back behind the wheel to steer. Buckaroo lays
into the sandwich like he hasn't eaten all day (which he hasn't) and his taste buds
are immediately on fire. He drops the sandwich and begins fanning his mouth.

JACK
Chinese pepper-steak. Packs a wallop, don't it?

New Jersey hands Buckaroo a canteen, which he empties.
New Jersey motions to the saddlebags slung over Burton's shoulders.

NEW JERSEY
Like your saddlebags.

JACK
Thanks. Real leather.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

also -- Escape from New York

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"My name is Inigo Motoya, you killed my father, prepare to die"

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------

you know I got goosebumps just reading that. I gotta rent that again.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

you know I got goosebumps just reading that. I gotta rent that again.

Whaddya mean "rent???" You mean you don't OWN it??? ... You gotta see "As You Wish: The Making of 'The Princess Bride'" on the DVD.

Even better get the book ...

Here is the scene where Westley leaves

"I'm going to America. To seek my fortune." (This was just after America but long after fortunes.) "A ship sails soon from London. There is great opportunity in America. I'm going to take advantage of it. I've been training myself. In my hovel. I've taught myself not to need sleep. A few hours only. I'll take a ten-hour-a-day job and then I'll take another ten-hour-a-day job and I'll save every penny from both except what I need to eat to keep strong, and when I have enough I'll buy a farm and build a house and make a bed big enough for two."

"You're just crazy if you think she's going to be happy in some run-down farmhouse in America. Not with what she spends on clothes."

"Stop talking about the Countess! As a special favor. Before you drive me maaaaaaaad."

Buttercup looked at him.

"Don't you understand anything that's going on?"

Buttercup shook her head.

Westley shook his too. "You never have been the brightest, I guess."

"Do you love me, Westley? Is that it?"

He couldn't believe it. "Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches. If your love were--"

"I don't understand that first one yet," Buttercup interrupted. She was starting to get very excited now. "Let me get this straight. Are you saying my love is the size of a grain of sand and yours is this other thing? Images just confuse me so--is this universal business of yours bigger than my sand? Help me, Westley. I have the feeling we're on the verge of something just terribly important."

"I have stayed these years in my hovel because of you. I have taught myself languages because of you. I have made my body strong because I thought you might be pleased by a strong body. I have lived my life with only the prayer that some sudden dawn you might glance in my direction. I have not known a moment in years when the sight of you did not send my heart careening against my rib cage. I have not known a night when your visage did not accompany me to sleep. There has not been a morning when you did not flutter behind my waking eyelids.... Is any of this getting through to you, Buttercup, or do you want me to go on for a while?"

"Never stop."

"There has not been--"

"If you're teasing me, Westley, I'm just going to kill you."

"How can you even dream I might be teasing?"

"Well, you haven't once said you loved me."

"That's all you need? Easy. I love you. Okay? Want it louder? I love you. Spell it out, should I? I ell-oh-vee-ee why-oh-you. Want it backward? You love I."

"You are teasing now; aren't you?"

"A little maybe; I've been saying it so long to you, you just wouldn't listen. Every time you said 'Farm Boy do this' you thought I was answering 'As you wish' but that's only because you were hearing wrong. 'I love you' was what it was, but you never heard, and you never heard."

"I hear you now, and I promise you this: I will never love anyone else. Only Westley. Until I die."

He nodded, took a step away. "I'll send for you soon. Believe me."

"Would my Westley ever lie?"

He took another step. "I'm late. I must go. I hate it but I must. The ship sails soon and London is far."

"I understand."

He reached out with his right hand.

Buttercup found it very hard to breathe.

"Good-by."

She managed to raise her right hand to his.

They shook.

"Good-by," he said again.

She made a little nod.

He took a third step, not turning.

She watched him.

He turned.

And the words ripped out of her: "Without one kiss?"

They fell into each other's arms.

There have been five great kisses since 1642 b.c., when Saul and Delilah Korn's inadvertent discovery swept across Western civilization. (Before then couples hooked thumbs.) And the precise rating of kisses is a terribly difficult thing, often leading to great controversy, because although everyone agrees with the formula of affection times purity times intensity times duration, no one has ever been completely satisfied with how much weight each element should receive. But on any system, there are five that everyone agrees deserve full marks.

Well, this one left them all behind.

The first morning after Westley's departure, Buttercup thought she was entitled to do nothing more than sit around moping and feeling sorry for herself. After all, the love of her life had fled, life had no meaning, how could you face the future, et cetera, et cetera.

But after about two seconds of that she realized that Westley was out in the world now, getting nearer and nearer to London, and what if a beautiful city girl caught his fancy while she was just back here moldering? Or, worse, what if he got to America and worked his jobs and built his farm and made their bed and sent for her and when she got there he would look at her and say, "I'm sending you back, the moping has destroyed your eyes, the self-pity has taken your skin; you're a slobby-looking creature, I'm marrying an Indian girl who lives in a teepee nearby and is always in the peak of condition."

Buttercup ran to her bedroom mirror. "Oh, Westley," she said, "I must never disappoint you," and she hurried downstairs to where her parents were squabbling. (Sixteen to thirteen, and not past breakfast yet.) "I need your advice," she interrupted. "What can I do to improve my personal appearance."

"Start by bathing," her father said.

"And do something with your hair while you're at it," her mother said.

"Unearth the territory behind your ears."

"Neglect not your knees."

"That will do nicely for starters," Buttercup said. She shook her head. "Gracious, but it isn't easy being tidy." Undaunted, she set to work.

Every morning she awoke, if possible by dawn, and got the farm chores finished immediately. There was much to be done now, with Westley gone, and more than that, ever since the Count had visited, everyone in the area had increased his milk order. So there was no time for self-improvement until well into the afternoon.

But then she really set to work. First a good cold bath. Then, while her hair was drying, she would slave after fixing her figure faults (one of her elbows was just too bony, the opposite wrist not bony enough). And exercise what remained of her baby fat (little left now; she was nearly eighteen). And brush and brush her hair.

Her hair was the color of autumn, and it had never been cut, so a thousand strokes took time, but she didn't mind, because Westley had never seen it clean like this and wouldn't he be surprised when she stepped off the boat in America. Her skin was the color of wintry cream, and she scrubbed her every inch well past glistening, and that wasn't much fun really, but wouldn't Westley be pleased with how clean she was as she stepped off the boat in America.

And very quickly now, her potential began to be realized. From twentieth, she jumped within two weeks to fifteenth, an unheard-of change in such a time. But three weeks after that she was already ninth and moving. The competition was tremendous now, but the day after she was ninth a three-page letter arrived from Westley in London and just reading it over put her up to eighth. That was really what was doing it for her more than anything--her love for Westley would not stop growing, and people were dazzled when she delivered milk in the morning. Some people were only able to gape at her, but many talked and those that did found her warmer and gentler than she had ever been before. Even the village girls would nod and smile now, and some of them would ask after Westley, which was a mistake unless you happened to have a lot of spare time, because when someone asked Buttercup how Westley was--well, she told them. He was supreme as usual; he was spectacular; he was singularly fabulous. Oh, she could go on for hours. Sometimes it got a little tough for the listeners to maintain strict attention, but they did their best, since Buttercup loved him so completely.

Which was why Westley's death hit her the way it did.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot " So I Married an Axe Murderer". I love that movie, it was on last night. Mike Myers kills me.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny how in the book Buttercup is a blithering idiot. I guess they had to make some concessions to PCness.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Highlander was awesome after that, there was a succession of serie Z movies by C. Lambert...it was worse and worse and worse...(apart from Greystoke but I am not sure if it wasn't before Highlander).

Anyway, mine (I will admit) is

Love Actually...I just love that movie...
Groundhog day is a close second

and for the french speakers of the forum:

Le pere noel est une ordure, les bronzes, le bossu (the real one with jean marais)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strange Brew. Bull Durham. My high school buddy and I used to watch Army of Darkness (already mentioned) all the time. "That's what we call pillow talk, baby". Dumb and Dumber. Tommy Boy. Slapshot. They Call Me Bruce (always liked that one). Tango and Cash. My alltime favorite, Red Heat.

Another buddy and I talk about the idiotic Ninja/Karate movies we used to watch in junior high. 9 Deaths of the Ninja and No Retreat, No Surrender (Van Damme is the bad Russian) have to be the two worst, with Ninja III: The Domination running in third.

Strange Brew ... the McKenzie brothers are running away from the scene of an accident. One of them is wearing a jockstrap from an earlier attempt at a home movie regarding the end of the world, "Good thing, I'm still wearing that jock, eh?" Love it.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Eraserhead." Easily the most visually disturbing film I've seen, it's an early B/W David Lynch film. I really enjoyed Donnie Darko, my son turned me on to it.
Last edited by: robc: May 4, 05 17:58
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [robc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about Red Dawn?

Also add: Office Space, Highlander, The Breakfast Club, Happy Gilmore

and Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Last edited by: xswimguy: May 4, 05 22:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about "Tron" one of my favorite movies from quite a while ago?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grosse Point Blank

King of Comedy

Swimming with Sharks

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone added "The Long Kiss Goodnight"? Geena Davis as a government assassian who gets amnesia, Samuel L. Jackson . . . This movie has it all, action, humor, blowing shit up, just great.
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have it on video somewhere. Bought it cheap. Tried watching it, slow movie at the beginning and never watched the whole thing. I'll have to dig it out one day and watch it.

By the way, my favourite, Return of the Living Dead (and all the other original deads, night of, day of, dawn of)
Quote Reply
Re: What's your favorite "cult" flick? [Tri-ing in TO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David Cronenberg: Naked Lunch or Dead Ringers

If you want to know more, go check: http://www.davidcronenberg.de/

Tough times don't last, tough people do ;-)
Francois.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How "Dune" or "Rocky Horror Picture Show"?

Quote:
"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."

Saddlesore Wink

Quote Reply

Prev Next