Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Switching to minimal/barefoot shoes
Quote | Reply
I have recently made the change to merrell's minimal shoe - not toe shoes, just low-construction light weight thin-soled shoe. I run hard, rocky trails (no pavement). Immediately i began suffering from a very painful tendon inflammation in one foot (symptoms align with plantar fasciitis). It has persisted, even with stretching and no running for weeks. What gives? Am I doomed? Does it get better? Do I go back to old-school "high heeled" running shoes? Anyone experience same? TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Switching to minimal/barefoot shoes [Darwinator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but you should go with what is best for your musculoskeletal structure. For example, I have hypermobility in all joints, lax ligaments, and sacroiliac joint dysfunction; I need some structured cushioning. As long as you're doing what is best for your body, without regard to what is the current rage, you should be fine. Sounds like you might need a trip to the doctor though and perhaps some physical therapy. Physical therapists can tell you what kind of shoe you can handle. Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it takes time. It took me about 6 months to switch from Asics Kayano to light weight trainers w/ minimal heel lift. Did it a few years ago and now I can't wear shoes with too much structure (even brooks launch...which I was told was pretty minimal for them) is uncomfortable.

I didn't do all my runs in minimalist shoes for a long time, the long run and speed work were the last things to switch,and then it was just one a week for about 2 months before I finally got rid of all my other shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching to minimal/barefoot shoes [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your response- so you think that the change is too drastic to do suddenly- better to slowly build new muscles and tendons necessary for minimal shoes? Wearing them around town first a good idea before starting to run in them? Or only wearing them for short jogs? Does the treadmill count? <-- serious about this - is the treadmill too different to even count? I use treadmill in winter, but in spring much prefer outdoors. Thank you again - new to this. And instinctively they feel better than traditional, heavily padded shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from Asics Kayano to Pearl Izumi to Zoot to Newton over 2 seasons. So it was a very slow/gradual change. I didn't plan it that way but as I started to run more and focus on my form I found less shoe structure better for me.

I consider treadmill running. Sometimes it's a little harder running because the platform is consistent. Unlike running on gravel or road where there are deviations in levelness etc. Treadmills can really having you impacting the same way over and over and over, so switching up shoes some might be better. I'm no expert on it though. And I haven't run on a treadmill in over 15 years.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the vibrams and when I first started I had really tight calves after my runs for the first few months. Even now, if I am lazy and not running for a week, they ache. I can't wear them after an evening in heels (never really in heels to be honest but noticed the few times I wore them the next day it was painful). It might be the difference between your running shoes and day/work shoes. Do you wear flats or heels? Heels kill me but they kill me more if I run with my ugly shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching to minimal/barefoot shoes [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've written about this on my blog, here: http://yearoftrainingdangerously.blogspot.co.uk/...-calves-running.html

long story short, the learning curve should be long and gradual. I'm a huge fan of minimalist running but it can't be rushed, or done exclusively -- your brain, nerves, tendons, ligaments and muscles ALL have to adapt. This may take more time than seems reasonable, but then most good things do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommed a shoe like the Saucony Cortona or Kinvara. It has plenty of of cushioning and a 4mm drop, which is getting "minimalist". The Cortona has more cushioning underfoot than the Kinvara, but not clunky. Both are super light and fun.

I have been running in either the Saucony Kinvara or Fastwitch exclusively for the past 2 years and love love love them. For years and years I ran in clunky, stiff (or now that is what they feel like) Saucony Hurricances, Guides, etc and holy hell, I will never run in anything with "motion control" or stability again.

I've had 2 back surgeries. Quite frankly, I blame running in motion control shoes for 15 years. Since going to the minimalist, my injuries have dissipated.

Also, yes, it DOES take time for your calves to adjust. Expect to be sore for a few weeks. I find that running trails / dirt helps, or scaling back the mileage until your body adjusts.
Quote Reply
Re: Switching to minimal/barefoot shoes [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, good insight - thanks! I want to transition to lighter shoes, so step 1 for me this year has been taking my orthotics out.
So in your collective opinion, help me with this:
Got a half-marathon in late-August and though I know I want to run that in "normal" shoes, I am considering purchasing Vibrams this summer.

Do you think I should slowly start incorporating them into training now? Or will that needlessly mess around with my half-marathon training overall?

I guess I can always wait till after August to start walking around in Vibrams.
Your insight is appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made the switch to a low-no drop shoe, added some barefoot work, and switched to a fore/midfoot running style at the prompting of a coach. I developed PF and Achilles tendonitis soon after and ultimately ended up with a partial tear of the achilles that sidelined me for the better part of a year. It wasn't until I did a little research that I discovered that it can place a lot of strain on these structures unless done very, very slowly and carefully. Unfortunately for me, the info was too little, too late. Now I am back running and am finally making a little progress and the new running style is pretty well cemented. If I could do it over again, I would either have left well enough alone, or switched much more gradually. That said, I suspect that by switching, I may have saved my joints and possibly increased my potential for speed since I now run very lightly and can handle a higher cadence than before. That certainly counts as a point in favor of the switch, but it was a LONG process. Good luck!

Coach Brain: Accelerate 3 ; Incoherent Ramblings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I changed over from New Balance 990s to Newtons over the course of about 4 months and find that it relieves my chronic hip pain tremendously. Had to deal with the calf issue for a couple of months, but the Newts are infinitely easier on my hips.

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a stress fracture in my femur in January. I bought a new pair of running shoes after the diagnosis since I would need them once I could run again. I ran in Brooks Ghost but wanted to start transitioning to minimalist shoes. I went with the Brooks PureFlow. I am finally back to running and have noticed that although my calf doesn't hurt when I run or after, my left calf cramps ALL the time: sleeping, walking, sitting, biking, etc. Anyone experience something like this? Any advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Switching to minimal/barefoot shoes [cgirltri92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cgirltri92 wrote:
I had a stress fracture in my femur in January. I bought a new pair of running shoes after the diagnosis since I would need them once I could run again. I ran in Brooks Ghost but wanted to start transitioning to minimalist shoes. I went with the Brooks PureFlow. I am finally back to running and have noticed that although my calf doesn't hurt when I run or after, my left calf cramps ALL the time: sleeping, walking, sitting, biking, etc. Anyone experience something like this? Any advice?

I haven't anything like this with my vibrams. My calves are sore but it is muscle sore - and now only happens if I don't run for a week or more so it motivates me to make sure I am out there! Are you wearing heels after? I can't wear heels at all now since I started using my vibrams. I couldn't really wear them before to be honest but now? Ouch! I just tell myself it is my body's way of telling me to stop abusing it with crap like heels! Are you pushing off with your toes? That might cause it too - no idea really but just a few thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only occasionally where heels. Hardly ever anymore though. I am definitely a mid/forefoot striker so I'm sure that has something to do with it. Its weird though because I really can't even feel my calf stretch when I stretch it. I'm going to give it a little while longer and if it doesn't start improving, I am going to go see someone about it. I probably am gonna need new shoes soon anyway.
Quote Reply