Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [severinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
severinj wrote:
I am in the market for a used car and I want to consult the wisdom that is slowtwitch. What is the best car for triathletes?

I recommend one of the new Lamborghinis. It's very aero, lots of power and lightweight.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Aust1227 wrote:

5) Ford Transit Connect - At 23K this one had me pretty excited.. But, wifey didn't go for it.

Are you opening a flower shop?

They are amazing! You can beat it to hell, then take a pressure washer to the INSIDE of the vehicle to clean it up.

Camping, biking, hunting, fishing, delivering flowers.. It would be an awesome vehicle to have for an adventure couple.

It is coming with plug in hybrid in the near fiture.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a used Mazda CX-5 and I’m liking it a lot so far. Good gas mileage and I can get my 60 cm road bike in the back without taking a wheel off. My 9’ fishing rods fit too. I’m putting a hitch on it to get the mtbs around.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
severinj wrote:
I am in the market for a used car and I want to consult the wisdom that is slowtwitch. What is the best car for triathletes?

I recommend one of the new Lamborghinis. It's very aero, lots of power and lightweight.

I kid you not, a Corvette C6 works pretty well, pop the wheels off the tri-bike & it'll happily lay in the back.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're looking for something inexpensive that fits your criteria, I've got a Hyundai Elantra GT (it's not an SUV, it's a smaller hatchback... much better on gas). I brought the bike to the dealership before buying the car, to make sure it would fit bike, race gear, and both kids in there at the same time. I have actually put 2 bikes, 2 transition bags full of gear, 2 weekender bags of clothes, and 2 people in there. I have to make some trade-offs if I'm bringing the dog, but then again she's a Great Dane. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I rented something similar in Austria this summer, I think a VW Touran, and I loved it. We managed to fit 4 people, all their luggage, and 2 bike bags into it comfortably. Whenever we look for a new car this is for sure going to be on the list.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Looks awesome.

But will it come free with vw fraudster engine software ?
Wink

Only if you get the diesel version :-)

FTW !

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give Mitsu Oultander GT a look. Only not sure on bikes upright. GT model has a watered down version of AWC from Evo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Girlfriend has a 2012 GMC Terrain, and I love it. I almost bought a 2015 last Friday.
I have rented its twin the Chevy Equinox a few times as a pre test to see if I wanted to buy one.
The only reason I did not purchase previously is I have a paid off 2005Trailblazer for carrying bikes, and nice car for work and day to day travel. Plus I do not want a car payment:>)

I have recently test driven the new 2018 Equinox LS base model, and it or the 2018 Terrain will be my next car.
More room than previous Generation in the back to carry stuff. My 61 Ridley fit with Ease with both wheels on.
Better gas mileage. Good enough to get rid of my car and consolidate to 1 vehicle and I drive a lot.
Good Technology with integration of smart phones to touch screen and Hot Spot availability. No need for NAV or Satellite Radio.

I know a lot of haters will say bad things about GM vehicles, but I have bought 3 that have ALL gone well over 130,000 miles.
My Trailblazer has 153k. I would keep it, but it does need a few repairs that will cost more than a 12 year old SUV is worth.
So I think I have good track record with them.

Good Luck,
Pete

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
severinj wrote:

I went the otherway....motorhome.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience with a KIA Soul?
The price is right but I'm not sure all my stuff will fit.
Definitely would need a hitch mount rack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently went through many of those same vehicles and the new CR-V came out on top as well. I was originally looking at the Pilot but I came to the realization that both equal room in the trunk (back seat down in the CR-V, third row down in the Pilot). I don’t ever have more than myself and maybe a passenger so the Pilot would just be hauling around extra mass for me for no reason.

The only thing the CR-V didn’t have that I was looking for was ventilated seats.

I *almost* decided on an Odyssey EX. I Can get my bike in the back of one of those without taking my seat off. $32,000 out the door with all the latest safety features and Apple CarPlay.

The Hyundai Santa Fe Sport was nice too but the fuel economy seemed pretty abysmal.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a lightly used GX460 earlier this year. Cheap it was not, but it holds bikes vertically with the front wheels off, so they're inside and out of the elements, but still don't take up much room and there's lots of space for stuff. And it's reliable and comfortable. Not many vehicles hit all those requirements.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sprinter Van. High roof passenger version.

https://trigeek1969.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drive an Outback. The 2018 rides smoother, quieter, gets good fuel economy, is small enough to handle like a car, and you can get two bikes in back (separated with a collapsed TV box). It's got good ground clearance and goes fast, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [xpda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honda Element, two bikes fit in bike with all wheels on, or a Honda Ridgeline, one bike in rear seat area, or lots of bikes in rear bed.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have a '17 CRV. I juuuust miss being able to stand the bike up in the back with front wheel off (when rear seats are folded). I'm 6'1". If I lowered the seatpost a couple inches that would definitely do the trick. Usually it's just me, though, so I just lay the bike in on it's size, no wheel removal required. It's a pretty boring vehicle to drive, though. Inoffensive I guess is the word.

You can see some pics here.
http://www.crvownersclub.com/...bike-inside-crv.html
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YTZ wrote:
Honda Element, two bikes fit in bike with all wheels on, or a Honda Ridgeline, one bike in rear seat area, or lots of bikes in rear bed.

I thought about trading my 2010 Element in for a new Ridgeline, but it was a squeeze to get a bike in the rear seat area w one wheel off. In the end, I decided that it was vastly inferior and I am going to keep the Element for another 100K miles or until Honda pulls their head out of their ass and builds a new Element.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Nov 11, 17 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
severinj wrote:

The real answer is any car/minivan that is cheaper than your bike!

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Best Car for Triathletes? [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
severinj wrote:

For some people that's still a lot of options...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
severinj wrote:

LOL, yeah it is. One of my favorite triathlete buddies, John Ryan in Northern California, a very good triathlete who usually podiums in local races, always says his kids make fun of him because his bike is worth more than his car. Clearly, this recommendation of mine was not made by a dentist or for them :).

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
severinj wrote:

So go get a Chevy Astro van, if it is a Starcraft or similar you get 2 bikes upright plus still have the bedoption for 2 people (plus the front seats just to make sure);-)

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Land Rover Series III 109”. Got a 200 TDi installed from a defender and can fit bikes in the load bay upright, fully assembled. Plus, they’re able to be rinsed out. Actually, when it rains, they rinse themselves out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
Anyone have experience with a KIA Soul?
The price is right but I'm not sure all my stuff will fit.
Definitely would need a hitch mount rack.

The 2014 & up Souls are pretty nice. After our Focus bit it, I sent my wife for test drive. She loved it and I got a pretty good deal on a '16 ex tech in the latte brown about $20K CAD (this color looks horrible in the city, but great in the country), It was that or my P5X,

I also got a 2010 Soul for our company runner. The manual is horrible but the automatic is OK. Good value there for the space

Now light years ahead of anything I've ever driven is the 2018 VW Tiguan. What an SUV. Amazing.
No need for Audi or anything prestige, the Tiguan is that good.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of all the cars I've owned, I've loved the Nissan Pathfinder. Older ones suck on gas mileage but the newer AWD model uses front wheel drive for about 95% of the normal driving, has plenty of power and room for 7. 2 bike rack on the back and and additional roof rack for 2 more if I need it (could put a 4-bike rack on the hitch if you really need it). Drives like a car, but with the room of a SUV (and ability to pull a small boat).
Quote Reply

Prev Next