Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My greatest contribution to the triathlon community - the lost Doug Stern threads [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timely bump from me given the recent "what you wished you had known when you started swimming" thread. I wish I had known about THIS thread. I've made notes to take to the pool, Doug's posts make a lot of sense to me. Can't wait to get in the water and try the scooter drill, and I'm definitely going to try rotating my opposite hip in towards my wrist as I begin my catch. And why did nobody ever have me sit on the floor before and turn my toes in to see how much closer they are to the floor?! Pure gold.
Quote Reply
Re: My greatest contribution to the triathlon community - the lost Doug Stern threads [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP,
I'm bumping this in honor of Doug Stern, who passed 8 years ago today. I never got to interact with him, but having read through many of his old posts, it's clear why he was so beloved. Classy, respectful, and offered his help as best he could. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like it's been a while since this got bumped. I noticed it buried in Barry's run links and spent Friday night reading it. The "flow line" post really stuck with me. So, at the pool yesterday I really tried to focus on that. I found myself saying "flow line..." in time with every stroke. That focus resulted in a 2 stroke drop in spl, and a 4 second improvement in pace.

I was experimenting with usrpt yesterday. My main set was 30x100 (:20). I was planning on holding 1:45, but kept coming in at 1:41. I kept trying to slow down to 1:45, but that would only last for a 100, then I would be back in the "flow line" groove and end up with a couple 1:41s. Anyway, i didn't have my first failure until my 27th rep. I averaged 1:43 for the entire 30 rep.

The "flow line" groove just had me feeling very relaxed, and powerful it never felt like work until around number 25.

For reference, my last oly swim was 31 flat (no wetsuit), and my last 1000tt was 17:40. Hence, why I thought 1:45 would be a good choice. Guess, I will need to reset that. Thanks Doug!
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 8, 17 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: My greatest contribution to the triathlon community - the lost Doug Stern threads [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think with all the recent discussion about swimming

And some of us looking to focus on it during the off season this thread deserved a bump
Quote Reply
Re: My greatest contribution to the triathlon community - the lost Doug Stern threads [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
I think with all the recent discussion about swimming

And some of us looking to focus on it during the off season this thread deserved a bump

Thank you for the bump on this one. This is a really great resource. I grabbed the whole first post and shared the links with the masters squad I coach.
Quote Reply

Prev Next