Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

And more religious nonsense from the brain-washed (true believers)
Quote | Reply
And yes, on this I'm openly mocking these idiots:

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- A steady stream of the faithful and the curious, many carrying flowers and candles, have flocked to an expressway underpass for a view of a yellow and white stain on a concrete wall that some believe is an image of the Virgin Mary.

Police have patrolled the emergency turnoff area under the Kennedy Expressway since Monday as hundreds of people have walked down to see the image and the growing memorial of flowers and candles that surround it. Beside the image is an artist's rendering of the Virgin Mary embracing Pope John Paul II in a pose some see echoed in the stain.

"We believe it's a miracle," said Elbia Tello, 42. "We have faith, and we can see her face."

Tuesday morning, women knelt with rosary beads behind a police barricade while men in work shirts stood solemnly before the image, praying. A police officer kept the crowd of about three dozen from getting too close to the traffic but didn't stop them gathering around the stain.

The stain is likely the result of salt run-off, according to the Illinois Department of Transportation. The agency does not plan to scrub it off the wall.

"We're treating this just like we treat any type of roadside memorial," said IDOT spokesman Mike Claffey. "We have no plans to clean this site."

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago had not received any requests to authenticate the image as of Monday, spokesman Jim Dwyer said.

"These things don't happen every day," Dwyer said. "Sometimes people ask us to look into it. Most of the time they don't. (The meaning) depends on the individual who sees it. To them, it's real. To them, it reaffirms their faith."

But onlooker Victor Robles, 36, said he was skeptical about the stain's Virgin Mary resemblance.

"I see just a concrete wall and an image that could happen anywhere," Robles said. "If that image helps more people feel closer to God then maybe that is a good sign."

Worldwide, people have been drawn to images believed to resemble the Virgin Mary seen on windows, fence posts and walls.

Among the best-known in the United States was an image seen in office windows in Clearwater, Florida. Within weeks, a half million people had been to the site. Glass experts believe the image was created by a chemical reaction and corrosion of the metallic elements in the glass coating, but they could not explain why it took the shape it did. The windows were broken last year.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: And more religious nonsense from the brain-washed (true believers) [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why can't you adopt this mindset?

"I see just a concrete wall and an image that could happen anywhere," Robles said. "If that image helps more people feel closer to God then maybe that is a good sign"

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: And more religious nonsense from the brain-washed (true believers) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gotta agree with mopdahl.

The really devout Catholics are always looking for "miracles" just about everywhere.

I'll never forget the woman in Latin America who claimed to see the "miracle" of the bleeding facing of Christ on her living room wall. Hundreds of the devout arrived to see the "miracle".

Turned out to be a water stain.

This sort of nonsense goes on all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: And more religious nonsense from the brain-washed (true believers) [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is it nonsense? Like the article said, to the individual, it reaffirms their faith. People see things all the time during the day that reminds them or reinforces whatever their beliefs are...
Quote Reply
Re: And more religious nonsense from the brain-washed (true believers) [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"This sort of nonsense goes on all the time"

So what? If you don't think this stuff is really miraculous, so what? No one is forcing you to go see the water stains. If someone has their faith in God reaffirmed by what they see as a sign from God, how does that hurt you or call for what mopdahl called "open mocking." Jeez, what's wrong with you guys that you feel it necessary to mock people because they believe something you don't?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: And more religious nonsense from the brain-washed (true believers) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why can't you adopt this mindset?

"I see just a concrete wall and an image that could happen anywhere," Robles said. "If that image helps more people feel closer to God then maybe that is a good sign"
Yeah... I think it's nonsense too, but I wouldnt want to deny people some small measure of comfort if they need it.

"Yeah... I think it's nonsense too, but I wouldnt want to deny people some small measure of comfort if they need it. "

Very well put.
Quote Reply
Re: And more religious nonsense from the brain-washed (true believers) [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The mind is programmed to try and make "sense" out of everything. I saw the image too and I agree it looks like the VM. I am not religious at all, in fact quite the opposite yet I saw the image. Quite cool actually. Yet I am still the same person I was yesterday too, no conversion here.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply