Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The new Pope is a German Shepherd !!!! [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"There are mail order pharmacies."

Are you kidding? Mail order pharmacies for the morning after pill? Kind of defeats the whole idea doesn't it.

"That's an intolerant view"

Ok, so it's intolerant if I tell a pharmacist to set aside his religion while ringing up legal medicines, but it's not intolerant for you to tell people to go somewhere else to buy their legal medicines because it doesn't mesh with your religion? Give me a break. No wonder you keep getting your butt kicked in these discussions.

"Doctors aren't "over" pharmacists. The two professions are mutually exclusive"

Really? How many pharmacists can prescribe medicines? A Doctor may not be the boss of a pharmacist, but he is the one deciding what is best for the patitne, not the pharmacist. The pharmacists job is to dispense the drugs that have been prescribed, and at most, to double check to see that their isn't a conflict with other drugs that the patient is taking.

"Doctors practicing medicine are given licenses by the states where they practice but the states do not regulate or govern the procedures that the doctor must carry out? See the analogy?"

Yes, but it's a poor one. The pharmacist's job isn't to treat a patient. His job is to count out the right number of pills, put them in a jar, and take money in axchange for them. Obviously there is somewhat more to it than that, but the comparison between a Doctor and a pharmacist simply isn't accurate.

"They aren't the conscience for their clients. They're acting on their own conscience"

And that's fine. They should not use these medicines if they are morally opposed to them. However, they should not be forcing their morals on their clients. That isn't their job.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
birth control law [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The new Pope is a German Shepherd !!!! [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From research:

Active prevention of pregnancy is in violation of the commandment "be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:22). Rabbinic authorities further consider the possibility that a union that by definition cannot lead to pregnancy would amount to "spilling seed", the sin of Onan (Genesis 38:9).
Quote Reply
Re: The new Pope is a German Shepherd !!!! [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"One's religion and moral values shouldn't affect how one does a job? Oh, OK, I gotcha. Religion and morality are for Sundays. Monday through Friday, you better live and work as if you don't have any faith."

Try again Vitus. The pharmacist shouldn't steal from the store because of his morality. The pharmacist shouldn't beat up his assistant because of his morality. the pharmacists shouldn't intentioanlly dispense the wrong drug because of his morality. Obviously morality plays some part in how you do a job. What I was getting at was that the actual action of doing his job, that is dispensing the legal medicines behind his counter, isn't supposed to be a moral decision. If he has a moral objection to doing his job, he should pick another. But you knew what I meant, because although you are ornery, you aren't stupid.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: The new Pope is a German Shepherd !!!! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you kidding? Mail order pharmacies for the morning after pill? Kind of defeats the whole idea doesn't it.

Pharmacies aren't required to carry the morning after pill. In addition, why does the blame fall on the pharmacies for behavior that warrants the use of the morning after pill? Again, to some people, using such medicine is a form of abortion and against their moral beliefs. Why is the buyer pushing their will on the dispenser?

How many pharmacists can prescribe medicines? A Doctor may not be the boss of a pharmacist, but he is the one deciding what is best for the patitne, not the pharmacist.

Pharmacists aren't deciding what's best for the patient. The patient is free to go get their prescription filled elsewhere.

His job is to count out the right number of pills, put them in a jar, and take money in axchange for them. Obviously there is somewhat more to it than that, but the comparison between a Doctor and a pharmacist simply isn't accurate.

It's obvious you have a limited knowledge of what pharmacists do. The analogy was accurate and appropriate. I cannot put it any simpler for you.

And that's fine. They should not use these medicines if they are morally opposed to them. However, they should not be forcing their morals on their clients. That isn't their job.

And the law cannot force them to dispense medicine that they are opposed to dispensing. The client needs to go elsewhere to fill their prescription.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Pharmacies aren't required to carry the morning after pill...Why is the buyer pushing their will on the dispenser?"

They aren't. If the pharmacy decides not to carry a product, that is an entirely separate issue from a specific pharmacist refusing to sell a product that the pharmacy carries.

"I cannot put it any simpler for you."

What you mean is that you can't come up with an accurate analogy. No problem. Par for the course.

"And the law cannot force them to dispense medicine that they are opposed to dispensing."

Well, actually there are any number of ays you could leagally force a pharmacist to dispense these drugs. The first one being fire them if they refuse to do their job. However the pharmacies haven't decided to do this.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
From research:

Active prevention of pregnancy is in violation of the commandment "be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:22). Rabbinic authorities further consider the possibility that a union that by definition cannot lead to pregnancy would amount to "spilling seed", the sin of Onan (Genesis 38:9).
Expand your research. Every citation I could find indicates that birth control is permitted in one form or another. Try http://www.jewfaq.org/sex.htm#BirthControl, for instance.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
of course you have carefully avoided answering my question on the following:

the pharmacy calls and says the meds are ready
you go there
the pharmacist tells you no it's not here

what do you call that? in french the slang for it is 'foutage de gueule'...

that same pharmacist had been there since we arrived and has NEVER said anything, but suddently she discovers it's against her belief? AND still thinks it's a good idea to give us a call to say it's ready??

was her aim to give us a christian moral 101?
Quote Reply
Re: The new Pope is a German Shepherd !!!! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They aren't.

They aren't? That's funny. Hundreds of protesters from planned parenthood protested in front of the pharmacy where this took place. Seems to me they are pushing their will on someone.

What you mean is that you can't come up with an accurate analogy.

No, what I mean is you're choosing not to understand the accurate analogy. That's your issue, not mine.

The first one being fire them if they refuse to do their job. However the pharmacies haven't decided to do this.

Really? Seems that you are wrong. The Walgreens where this happened supports and allows for the actions of this pharmacist. They decided that they have a policy that allows for tolerance rather than the intolerance you support.
Quote Reply
Re: The new Pope is a German Shepherd !!!! [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not what I told you to go do. You need to take that up with Walgreens as that is not proper for them to say. But you've decided to air your displeasure here. Unfortunately, we can't help you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Seems that you are wrong"

Read carefully Brian. I know this isn't your strong point. I said the pharmacy in this case has not decided to fire pharmacists for refusing to do their jobs. That is, in fact, the case. Walgreens has not decided to fire pharmacists. Instead, they have decided to allow this sort of thing.

"They decided that they have a policy that allows for tolerance rather than the intolerance you support."

Tolerance for who? Certainly not tolerance for their customers. And since when is it intolerant to expect someone to do their job? If I were an exectuive at Walgreens, I'd have no problem making the case that this pharmacist is reflecting poorly on the company, bringing bad publicity, on top of losing money on the drugs he would have been selling. Grounds for dismissal if I've ever heard them.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: The new Pope is a German Shepherd !!!! [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, you qualified your original statement. You said that you "personally prefer to adhere to a set of truths that have stood the test of time and let the trend setters come and go as they have been for centuries" and now you've said that you adhere to God's Law as modified by the New Testament and Jesus's teachings. That's all well and good, but it's not what you originally stated.

My understanding of the NT has nothing to do with the thread. I'll admit, wondering what color of underwear Susie had under her plaid skirt always held much more appeal than what the religion teacher had to say. Fortunately my daughter now attends an all girls Catholic high school!

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply

Prev Next