Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Habemus Papam - We have a Pope [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but my question, i guess would be, how do catholics know they(the apostles) got it right?

How do we know the Apostles got it right? We believe it. It's (OBVIOUSLY) fundamental to the Catholic Faith. There have been thousands of volumes written as to why we believe it, and why it makes sense to believe it, and so on. If the Apostles got it wrong, Catholicism is meaningless, as is the rest of Christianity.

man wrote down the teachings/revelations. while they were divinely inspired, man is also fallible.

Man is certainly fallible. My belief is that the men who wrote the Bible were protected from error in that writing by an act of God. That's the whole point of what we say when we talk about the divine inspiration of the Bible. We don't mean that they were really smart/wise/holy/whatever, and Scripture is their best human attempt at explaining God. We mean that God used them to write down His Word. Now, I can deal with the fact that you might not believe that, but it really should not be that hard to acknowledge that I do.

has there been critical inspection as to whether the bible/tradition is the objective truth or the objective truth one step removed?

I'm not sure if I understand the question. The Bible is probably the most critically and rigorously inspected book in all of history, as far as that goes. But how would one critically "inspect" it to see if it's objective truth? I mean, do you have a benchmark of objective truth you think it should be compared to?

my larger point is that i can see an argument where modernizing(for lack of better word) church policy/teachings wouldn't run afoul of the objective truth of catholicism.

I'm really not trying to be rude, but how is it you feel qualified to say that the Church's teachings could be modernized without violating objective truth when you probably don't believe that objective truth can be known, and you certainly don't know what the Church teaches, and why?

The problem, as I see it, is that a lot of people don't accept the Church's belief that it has a divine mandate to safeguard what's been revealed to it as God's truth, and they don't think the Church should accept it, either.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Last edited by: vitus979: Apr 19, 05 22:59
Quote Reply
Re: Habemus Papam - We have a Pope [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am not trying to say that i am qualified to make such statements. i was merely saying that i could see the argument. but apparently it was based on the mistaken premise that the apostles wrote the bible of their own volition based on divine inspiration(i.e. witnessing what they believed to be god's acts and trying to interpret their meaning/teachings by writing them down--hence one step removed because it wasn't known if they correctly interpreted god's acts). the more correct version of what you are saying was that it really wasn't man's choice, but rather, god chose the individuals and they were merely instruments he used to have his word transcribed for humanity. in which case, my argument isn't valid.

i have one more question: how was the bible collated? that's poorly phrased, but weren't their more writings on jesus' life than what is contained in the bible and choices were made after the fact as to which to include? what was the criteria for those decisions?

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Habemus Papam - We have a Pope [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am not trying to say that i am qualified to make such statements. i was merely saying that i could see the argument.

Yeah, well that's what's so frustrating. All kinds of people can see that argument, and they really don't have any idea what they're talking about. The argument might make since if you think the Church is just a human organization composed of like-minded believers. But that's hardly a religion at all, and it isn't the Church's view of itself.

how was the bible collated? that's poorly phrased, but weren't their more writings on jesus' life than what is contained in the bible and choices were made after the fact as to which to include? what was the criteria for those decisions?

The Canon was set at the Council of Carthage in 397 AD, by an infallible act of the Church. Tradition at work, in a way.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Habemus Papam - We have a Pope [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't know what that means, your last point there.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply

Prev Next