Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking like an idiot with an aero helmet
Quote | Reply
Advice please...

In my last Oly, I used Zipp 808s because my friend offered them to me on loaner. I use aero bars on a road bike. Now I find a decent spanking new aero helmet selling for $40. I ride with a flat back, and it does not have a long tail. Should I buy it?

Since I averaged 31 kph in my last recorded Oly two years ago (with the goal of trying to average 33 kph this year), an aero helmet is borderline beneficial, right? I doubt that the 45 second to 2 minute time savings over 40 km would make a difference to my placement on the podium, looking at past results. Also, I would really and truly feel like a dork as faster people with "normal" equipment passed me, especially if I'm also using the Zipps at the same time, plus wearing my $15 high tech trisuit that usually retails for $180--which MATCHES THE HELMET, BIKE AND WHEELS! Yikes!

On the other hand, it is only $40!
Last edited by: karencoutts: Jan 23, 12 0:04
Quote Reply
Re: Looking like an idiot with an aero helmet [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. I got one for free and I wore it a few times, always feeling like an idiot, but why not, free speed. You know what- who cares what anyone thinks. Just go for it, and as long as you don't act like an ass out there (cutting people off, swerving, drafting etc.) no one should have any beef with you for having the cool toys- if they do that's their problem. And you can always sell it/give it away. But I wouldn't recommend wearing it in hot races- it gets stuffy in those things. On the other hand, they are great for cold races where you need some extra head warmth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can google it and get pretty mixed reviews on value. I read the Armstrong site which said it was worth 4 seconds on an OLY bike ride. I have had IM racers tell me it is more important than race wheels.

For me, I will get better marginal returns (improvement) by getting to race weight over new wheels or a new helmet. That is what I am paying attention to at the moment.

Such a Bad Runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For $40, I'd buy it, even if it is super matchy-matchy.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't agree that there should be some kind of magic speed limit below which you're not "allowed" aero gear. I read something once which put it into perspective for me, which was something like "if you've ever run into and then away from the wind you know how much harder the former is, and it doesn't matter how slow you are: you can certainly bike faster than you can run."

With that said, if you can average over 30 kph on a road bike with clip-ons you are *certainly* due an aero helmet. A key question is, what is the one you're looking at? If it's not that great then $40 may be cheap, but you've still wasted $40! And for what it's worth, I think the real people who look like dorks are those who spend thousands of dollars on race wheels and then refuse to spend 10% of that on a helmet because of fears about how they'll look, despite the fact it gives you a similar benefit (I'm not saying this about you, since you borrowed them... win!).
Quote Reply
Re: Looking like an idiot with an aero helmet [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you to all for the helpful opinions. I definitely never ride like an ass during a race, although I would feel like an ass in the matchy getup. While I think it is cool when I see fast people in their aero getups, I fear that I will look like some middle aged woman in lycra with simply too much money to spend, even if my helmet is $40, my trisuit is $15, and my wheels are free.

It is true that I can always re-sell the helmet. It is an LG Rocket, the original one from 2008 (?), which was retailing for $180. Is that considered a good helmet?

The Oly race is in July, so it will be definitely a warm race, with two big hill climbs. I am slow on hills, so if I am going to feel stupid, that is the optimum looking stupid time, wearing an aero helmet while riding slowly uphill. On the other hand, I will be zooming down the same hill twice. On my last outing on that course, I was playing leapfrog with a man who was 70 pounds heavier (and 9 inches taller) than I was throughout the entire race. On the final big hill descent, he just coasted down while I switched to my biggest gear, dropped into aero tuck position and pedalled hard all the way... guess who was faster? That's right... despite all my effort he edged me out down the hill and I was not able to make up the time on the brief final flats back in.

I will be trying to lose 5 pounds before July, getting back to my race weight. That will definitely help more than the aero helmet.

The quote from jcd was very interesting. It would definitely cut down on my effort for the same speed, and maybe that alone is worth the $40 cost of the helmet. Also, the psychological edge that I will be taking from the helmet is that I will feel obligated to reach higher speeds on the bike just so I don't feel so foolish for wearing the full getup. Hopefully I would not then blow up on the run (which I do anyway, but I like to use every excuse available).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm too busy pedaling to notice what most other people are wearing as they pass me or I pass them. About the only thing that is noticeable is their bike and wheels; I wouldn't sweat about what other people might or might not think.

From an aerodynamic standpoint, the helmet is one of the cheapest and best upgrades you can make, so go for it, especially if it's about the price of a regular helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking like an idiot with an aero helmet [Caddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you mentioned that the race is in July, the other consideration is definitely heat! I've raced in aero helmets (actually, the LG rocket specifically, haha), and find them quite warm. For the extra aerodynamic benefit, you're sacrificing staying cool through the bike portion before the run.

Totally your call, but if you're the type of racer who overheats easily, and/or it's a warm day, I wouldn't recommend it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I got an aero helmet (LG rocket) last year and wondered if I "deserved" to be wearing an aero helmet. But I also got a good deal, so I decided to go for it. Funny thing is the first time I race in it, I crashed and the helmet got a big crack. I was happy that my regular helmet was still good to ride in. I went and purchased another race helmet (this time even cheaper), and I'm glad that I have a "regular" and "race" helmet. I find that the race helmets get bumped around a lot more.
I don't realize I have it on when racing- except sometimes when I move my head I get the wind roaring in my ears. I figure it's a good thing to keep me in position. I don't overheat easily- used this helmet on a several long course races where the weather was 30+ without any issues. My vote is to get it, everyone else is doing it! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Looking like an idiot with an aero helmet [VancouverAmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for this, VancouverAmy... alas, I am too late to buy the helmet. My size is sold out. Look who's the idiot now! Doh!
Last edited by: karencoutts: Mar 3, 12 15:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry too much about how you look to other racers, unless of course you're wearing this

http://www.yearoftrainingdangerously.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I fear that I will look like some middle aged woman in lycra with simply too much money to spend

Do not fear. The only people who will think that are the ones who are jealous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yea, but where are the pictures..

http://nationsloan.com/boat-loan-rates/
Quote Reply
Re: Looking like an idiot with an aero helmet [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So... my one and only triathlon this year is in a few days. I will be riding on Zipp 808s and wearing an aero helmet!

Got the Zipps on loan (with Power Tap!) and the aero helmet was given to me from someone who GAVE me two aero helmets for free! They were too small for him, but just right for me. So now I have two to choose from.

So this does not solve the problem of potentially looking like a fool, but thanks to y'all I guess I should not care what others think. So tonight I'm going to get on the trainer and see how both helmets lay against my back when I'm in aero position, the short helmet or the one with the long tail.

Thanks for the advice! And it will be hot... (for me) at 25C, but heck, it's a free helmet, and I'm going to use it anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you won't look like a fool, you'll look like a boss. keep your head high and have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking like an idiot with an aero helmet [tegra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Tegra.

I wore the long tail Louis Garneau helmet at my race yesterday. It was an oldie but a goodie. It did not feel hot and I did not have sweat pouring into my eyes as I sometimes do using my regular helmet. I did not cover up the little slot-like vents. My hearing was diminished. I managed to make my goal of averaging 33 kph and it felt relatively easy, which I'm going to attribute to the helmet and wheels. I loved the sound of the wheels humming away. Unfortunately, it was the first time I was using my Garmin 910XT using the multisport function, so I messed up on recording power, speed, and heart rate, so I will never know how much the helmet helped.

I tried moving my head around in the wind to find out what head position was best, but weird, the sound completely disappeared when I pointed my nose at the ground. That can't be right! Looking forward there was little gap between the long tail and my mostly flat back.

Also, I did not feel like a fool at all. I did not find out until later that my average speed reached my goal, but I was only passed by people on aero helmets, which is a good sign!

Anyone feeling self conscious about wearing an aero helmet shouldn't anymore--it was commonplace at the triathlon I attended.

Thanks again all for the encouragement and advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet you looked badass. Sounds like you had a great time. I LOVE the sound of those wheels whoosh whoosh whoosh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply