Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Bar Method?
Quote | Reply
Thinking of trying this out - anybody done it? Full disclosure - am in second trimester (almost halfway!) and looking for "new" exercise routines so that there's something that I feel like I'm improving upon. (Let's face it - during pregnancy you have to roll with the fact that you're slower, more awkward, etc. It would be nice to be a beginner at something, so that - at least sometimes - I feel like I'm getting better at something.) So if anyone's done their pregnancy classes, or done bar method while preggo, I'd love to hear your thoughts as well. Muchas gracias!
Quote Reply
Re: The Bar Method? [Bellytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an update - went to my first prenatal Bar Method class yesterday. For those preggo ladies that would like to go to a class that's still intense but recognizes changes in body during pregnancy, this might be for you! I'm ashamed to admit it, but I couldn't finish all of the sets without taking mini-breaks (and sighing a bit). And this morning, for the first time in a long time, I'm sore. Forty push-ups, lots and lots of legs, lots of tush, some abs (explained well and with some props), and calves. I'm looking forward to seeing how this translates into strength etc post-partum, and for any races that I am blessed to do after baby. But thought folks here might be interested in someone's initial take on the classes.

Although I will say that watching ladies apply makeup after the class was a bit hilarious. Still, you can't knock a good workout - whether your classmates are dripping with diamonds or not!
Quote Reply
Re: The Bar Method? [Bellytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bellytri wrote:
Just an update - went to my first prenatal Bar Method class yesterday. For those preggo ladies that would like to go to a class that's still intense but recognizes changes in body during pregnancy, this might be for you! I'm ashamed to admit it, but I couldn't finish all of the sets without taking mini-breaks (and sighing a bit). And this morning, for the first time in a long time, I'm sore. Forty push-ups, lots and lots of legs, lots of tush, some abs (explained well and with some props), and calves. I'm looking forward to seeing how this translates into strength etc post-partum, and for any races that I am blessed to do after baby. But thought folks here might be interested in someone's initial take on the classes.

Although I will say that watching ladies apply makeup after the class was a bit hilarious. Still, you can't knock a good workout - whether your classmates are dripping with diamonds or not!

Thank you for the feedback. I am not pregnant but was wondering about Bar Method classes, now I know and will purchase a month series.

Quote | Reply
What do you do? I've never heard of this.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: The Bar Method? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's a ballet inspired Pilates offshoot; the latest and greatest? new thing. I haven't done a workout-yet- but as a trainer I have clients that did it over the holiday and came back begging for me to add that to their workouts. You can find info on Google : Barre Method and there are a few good videos out there-classes are most likely found at a Pilates studio :)
Quote Reply
Re: The Bar Method? [Snap!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering the fact that I'm still sore, it was a great workout. Since it was my first, I don't remember all the progression, but I think it's like Bikram where you do the same thing every time so after a few more workouts I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do it on my own. There were a total of 40 push-ups, shoulders, some tricep work, then we went to the bar. There you stood with one hand on the bar, got up on your tiptoes and did a squat on your toes (like the second awkward pose in Bikram) and then did little pulses there for what felt like forever. Then you went even deeper into that squat, more of those pulses, then on your toes in a different format and more squats... I thought my quads were really strong, but this was impressive work. Then we faced the bar, bent at the waist and lifted a leg toward the back wall - again little pulses (when I say pulses - i mean like 40 of them - this was not a short time to keep your leg up) then right into pulses going a different direction, then squeezes, and then we finally could put our leg down. There was some stomach and shoulder stuff - pretty challenging abs. We also did a whole ton of tricep pushups, which kicked my tush - and I do tricep work quite a bit at the gym, so I was pretty impressed.

I suppose the way to look at it is as circuit weight training for women. Ballet and pilates and yoga inspired, but at base it's strength training for women. I got a 6-week pass, and will probably get the DVDs after that because I'll probably know the workout by then. I recommend giving it a try - it's good to show you where your weaknesses are. I was a little surprised that regular biking, swimming, running, weight training and yoga didn't fully prep me for this one. (But I am 20 weeks pregnant, so I give myself more passes these days and am obviously not in "peak" form.) Humbling in a good way and I'll be back for more.
Quote Reply