Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestions for Phoenix/Scottsdale?
Quote | Reply
Going to a wedding this weekend, never met the bride nor the groom, but I'm going.

Arrive 9:15AM local on Friday, wedding is on Saturday, leave early Sunday. So basically Friday is my only time in the area. I think I flew in to Phoenix once on my way to Vegas or San Diego.

Any "can't miss" things? Sedona, AZ has been mentioned, I guess there are some rocks there or something, I dunno.

I'm trying to decide between going to see "something", or just sitting by the pool in the nice weather.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Phoenix/Scottsdale? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Going to a wedding this weekend, never met the bride nor the groom, but I'm going.

Arrive 9:15AM local on Friday, wedding is on Saturday, leave early Sunday. So basically Friday is my only time in the area. I think I flew in to Phoenix once on my way to Vegas or San Diego.

Any "can't miss" things? Sedona, AZ has been mentioned, I guess there are some rocks there or something, I dunno.

I'm trying to decide between going to see "something", or just sitting by the pool in the nice weather.

Thanks

If I had one day in Phoenix, I wouldn't want to spend 4 hours in a car gettting to/from Sedona, though it is nice.

Bring trail running shoes (or light hikers) and climb (read: hike) Camelback Mountain. Bring water. Done casually, it will take you 1.5-2 hours round trip, and gives you a nice view of the Phoenix metro area from the top. Spend the rest of the day lounging at the pool, and/or take a ride up the Beeline Hwy to see some scenery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Cholla, go climg Camelback or Pinnacle Peak. If you want to workout, there is cactus pool not too far, it's nice:-) Lots of shopping if you are the shopping type..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubing down the Salt River!

Camelback is nice and right in Scottsdale. I doubt it will take you anywhere near 2 hours though unless you are carrying a couple of friends on your back. I stayed at a hotel in Scottsdale last year and did Camelback twice. The second time, I ran the bottom third or so (the rest is too steep/technical) and did it in something like 45 minutes - and I'm nothing special on this forum. Other than that, the best thing to do in Phoenix is sit by the pool.

Quote | Reply
A few years ago, I was running Camelback every day, sometimes twice, so I just have no clue how much time a "regular" person, even a fit triathlete, might need to go up/down. 45 minutes round-trip, on the main Echo Canyon trail, is a pretty fast trip.

cholla
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Phoenix/Scottsdale? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may have gone up the other side. Not sure which one is the main trail.

Quote | Reply
The main trail is the Echo Canyon trail, with a water fountain and parking lot at its base near Tatum & McDonald. The other trail is the Cholla trail (that's where I took my forum name from); it is much more runnable on its lower half.

I really miss Camelback, as I haven't been there in a long time due to training for IM AZ and two marathons before that. I think I'll head up in a week or so, once I recover a bit more from the IM......
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for Phoenix/Scottsdale? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right - we took the Cholla trail from the back entrance of the Phoenician. I shoulda figured that one out from your name.

Quote | Reply
Spokesman will rent a nice bike (road or mountain) ~$40 for a day's rental, and has some great riding right out the door. My business trip, I rented a Lightspeed, and rode a nice 60 mile out and back into the Tonto National Forest. Too beautiful.

Great owners, well worth the money if you have the time.

Mark
Quote Reply