Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How Was Your Week? Dec 5 Edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week? Dec 5 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goal was swim 4x. Done! And working toward a faster 500 --- done --- one workout was 5 x 100 on 2:30; I averaged 1:17, and I was tired when I got in.
Run workouts - had 3 x 1 mi (6:15, 6:15, 6:30) and a 20 min progression run 7.5 to 9.4 mph followed by 6 x 0.25 mi @ 6:18 pace.
Eating went to hell in a handbasket - week before my thesis defense was stressful. I am determined to get back on track. Goal = 1 sweet a day. Not two packs of M+Ms like I normally eat :P

I successfully defended my graduate thesis this morning. That's the major accomplishment of the week.
Training last week:

M - 12 mi run
T - 6.7 mi run + 2700 yd swim
W - 4.5 mi run + 3000 yd swim
T - 6.5 mi run + 1600 yd swim
F - 9.5 mi run + 2200 yd swim
S - 6 mi run

I did shoulder weights twice, shoulder exercises (bands) twice, and hip exercises 4x. Good week. Totals are 45.2 mi run, 9600 yd swim.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i finally got my swim endurance and "speed" back! i lost both when i learned to do flip turns (took me over 2.5 weeks to be able to do more than 100m, and my splits were completely ass), but i just kept ploughing away at it.

did 500/400/300/200/100 descending main set last thursday, 8 x 200 descending on saturday, and set a new 100m benchmark during 6 x 100 descending on sunday morning. looking forward to getting in the pool tonight!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
 Goal = 1 sweet a day. Not two packs of M+Ms like I normally eat :P

We all do this. At least we work it off. Just don't get too down on yourself when it happens.
Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week? Dec 5 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done MistressK
You did inspire me to start doing flip turns again. I did it x 1 w/o and then stopped swimming the last two weeks. My goal will be to swim 2 x this week, and try to continue doing the flip turns during each.
Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week? Dec 5 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My week was ok. It was taper before marathon, so just ran.
Took first two days off. Then made decision to take marathon easy - long training run (had some nagging injuries that I didn't want to make worse going into Boston training), and that took pressure off. Plus it allowed me to continue to run the rest of the week, as I HATE to taper.

Mon - off
Tues - off
Wed - Run 5.8
Thurs - run 8.2
Friday - run 6.5
Saturday - run 4
Sunday 26.2 - 3:37:17 - 4th age group.

Quick race report : Dallas White Rock Marathon: It was FREEZING!!! I was cold in starting corral. Got warm around mile 5 when rain started heavy. Couldn't keep warm after that. From approx 13 through 20 was around the lake. That was the coldest w/ wind off lake. I just keep shuffling to try to keep warm. Hands didn't work. No idea what splits were. At around 20 we turned off lake, w some small hills. Started to warm up and able to speed up a bit. Last mile 7 min /mile so that was fun. Overall 3-4 min negative split. Passed a lot of people (they joined the 1/2 marathon w/ the marathon at this point. Lots of walkers - very irritating). As soon as I crossed the line I started w/ shaking chills and teeth chattering. Got my dry clothes on asap, but couldn't warm up. Went directly to the shuttle bus to the hotel. Poor guy sitting next to me keep offering me all his clothes. I'm sure I was annoying shaking next to him. After a warm shower and some Thai food I felt much better. Getting in car for 3 hour drive home was tough. Still not sure what makes all of us here on ST put ourselves through this. We all know it'll be unpleasant, but we line up at the starting line anyway. We're all crazy.

This week I get Monday off
Then I expect 40-50 miles running, 3-4 bike and 1-2 swims.

Have a great week everyone.

Nancy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome time despite the conditions! Good work.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
Well done MistressK
You did inspire me to start doing flip turns again. I did it x 1 w/o and then stopped swimming the last two weeks. My goal will be to swim 2 x this week, and try to continue doing the flip turns during each.

one thing that helped me work through the "anchor tied to my butt" feeling was kicking out of the turn. i'm usually the typical triathlete, kicking only when necessary (usually 2 beat kick or very gentle/small 4 beat kick), and i'd always glide off the wall. i couldn't figure out for a bit why kicking off the wall helped, because it seemed like putting out more effort and should thus fatigue me more, and then i nailed it: coming out of the turn i'd have my head up high to try to get that first breath, but kicking off the wall helped me get my balance in the water faster so i reduced drag and could return to a normal stroke faster. less flailing + better able to rotate and breathe = more speed with less effort.

i now make a conscious effort to push my chest down in the water coming out of every turn, and it's helped a lot - enough that i don't have to kick as much off the wall to get the benefit.

congrats on your negative split and awesome result! :)

good luck - cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Dec 5, 11 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week? Dec 5 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. My flip turns need help. I'll try kicking off the wall. Another problem is that I don't flip completely over, I kind of flip sideways to come off the wall w/ stomach down, not up. I have tried to summersault and then pushing but can't do it.
I think if I continually practice the flip turns every time I swim, I'll eventually get the hand of it...right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No foot pain! Woot, woot, woot!

Monday - swim team
Tuesday - run
Wednesday - swim team
Thursday - run
Friday - swim team
Sat - rest & drive to race
Sunday - HITS 1/2 Iron-length Triathlon in Palm Springs, CA

Not a great finish time, but I was satisfied, given that I haven't been training consistently and the race was 2X the distance I was prepared for. I'm so happy that the neuroma surgery was successful and I ran with no discomfort.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week? Dec 5 Edition [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice, congrats on the race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I *think* I somersault, push off, and the pushoff is where I start to twist back onto my belly. I will try to pay more attention tomorrow/the next day and see if I can come up with something helpful here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got closer to getting back into the full swing of things. Goals for last week were:
run 6x--close, 5x, but didn't get in distance on my long run that I wanted
swim 3x--win
bike 3x--only got in one long ride
home exercises 5x--big, fat fail

Got a nagging hip issue that keeps me from pushing distance and speed at the moment. Rinse and repeat goals from last week this week.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I *think* I somersault, push off, and the pushoff is where I start to twist back onto my belly. I will try to pay more attention tomorrow/the next day and see if I can come up with something helpful here.

my feet hit the wall after the somersault turned very slightly clockwise (1/8 turn?) from level, and i continue to twist clockwise as i push off. i'd say that when i start my push my left shoulder is at 1/4 turn (closest to the surface) and by the time my legs reach full extension i'm pretty much completely on my stomach.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
This Finding Freestyle video on learning flip turns may be helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExLqw_SlBlI

Having said that, I'm still doing open turns because I can't get the somersault part down, and I don't want to keep repeating a bad turn. I always go cockeyed to one side. The only way I can flip in a straight line is if I do a little dolphin kick before I turn. Some sort of muscle imbalance? Any suggestions?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted candy last night and had a big bowl of yogurt instead. I am proud of myself :-) I even BOUGHT the candy, then thought through it. I realized
-I was tired
-I DID want something sweet
-I hadn't had much calcium

The yogurt was good and I don't feel all guilty for eating lots of candy. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I wanted candy last night and had a big bowl of yogurt instead. I am proud of myself :-) I even BOUGHT the candy, then thought through it. I realized
-I was tired
-I DID want something sweet
-I hadn't had much calcium

The yogurt was good and I don't feel all guilty for eating lots of candy. :-)

Well done!!! I'm proud of you. You listened to your body, and did something healthy for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

How are you feeling most marathon?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legs feel fine. Slightly tight calves, but running ok. Still having this left hamstring pain though. going on 2 months. I've decided to make an appt w/ ART guy and see what I can do to get rid of it. I don't really have the money, but I can't keep running this slowly if I want a PR at Boston.
Thanks for asking.
Quote Reply