Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cardinal Law & the Pope's funeral: comments from the faithful?
Quote | Reply

OME, April 7 - Cardinal Bernard Law, who was forced to resign in disgrace as archbishop of Boston two years ago for protecting sexually abusive priests, was named by the Vatican today as one of nine prelates who will have the honor of presiding over funeral Masses for Pope John Paul II.
To many American Catholics, Cardinal Law is best known as the archbishop who presided over the Boston archdiocese as it became the focus for the sexual abuse scandal involving priests.

But to Vatican officials, Cardinal Law is a powerful kingmaker who traveled internationally for the church and whose favorite priests were regularly appointed bishops by John Paul. After he stepped down in Boston in 2003, he was given a spacious apartment and a prestigious although honorary post in Rome as archpriest of the Basilica of St. Mary Major.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Cardinal Law & the Pope's funeral: comments from the faithful? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get it either.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Cardinal Law & the Pope's funeral: comments from the faithful? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad. From the perspective of a U.S. Catholic who spends the approximate equivalent of 2 (one for the wife and one for me) P3Cs w/ Zipp 909s and a SRAM pro on Catholic education every year, this news is disturbing. I highly value the principles of Catholic education and the teachings of the Church, but I will admit to having my doubts about the U.S. scandal and the U.S. Catholic Church's movement towards a singular focus on pro-life issues at the expense of the other life, family, justice and solidarity issues.

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: Cardinal Law & the Pope's funeral: comments from the faithful? [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming from a nonbeliever, don't forget the abominable stance on birth control in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is criminal what he did and by extension, what the pope allowed to happen. If he were back in the states he should be brought up on charges.

I say this as a former altar boy in a boston church, st. andrews in jamaica plain, who served under the defrocked and now dead (murdered in jail by another inmate. goes to show good things happen to bad people) john geoghan. He never layed a hand on me or any of my brothers, but one neighborhood kid wasn't so lucky. He grew up with lots of problems and ended up committing suicide a year or so ago. As a kid, I looked up to geoghan because he took an interest in us kids. Little did I know of his motives. Out of the blue, it was announced that geoghan was no longer serving at our church. I was told he was reassigned for health reasons. Come to find out, st. andrews was just one of his stops on his pedophilia tour.

what the church did and does to protect him and scores of other predator priests makes me sick to my stomach. and law (how ironic his surname is, eh?) was front and center in shuffling him around from parish to parish and protecting him. His first priority was to protect the priests, NOT the innocent victims of his abuse.

I have to believe this pattern was known to the vatican and they took a strouthion approach to this disaster.

Law had a direct role in ruining people's lives and to see him in rome, safely ensconced in an extradition-free city-state makes me ill.

what a friggin joke the church is.

As you can tell, I don't have strong opinions on the matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Cardinal Law & the Pope's funeral: comments from the faithful? [patrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have to believe this pattern was known to the vatican and they took a strouthion approach to this disaster.

I'd never seen that word before; learn something new every day. By the way, it's "struthian".

Ah, that's where Struthiomimus (the ostrich-like dinosaur comes from) comes from.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Cardinal Law & the Pope's funeral: comments from the faithful? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't get it either"

Vitus, we finally agree on something.
Quote Reply
Re: Cardinal Law & the Pope's funeral: comments from the faithful? [M.E.T.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Coming from a nonbeliever, don't forget the abominable stance on birth control in general.[/reply]

Ok I will bite, what abominable stance on birth control?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply