Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Better to be alive under Saddam Hussein than lying in some cold grave. [el fuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuck that. I'd take a bullet no sweat in an attempt the rid the world of him. He is a psychopath.

I'd rather be dead than live under Hussein. Gladly.

Better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a lamb.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Better to be alive under Saddam Hussein than lying in some cold grave. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd rather be dead than live under Hussein. Gladly.

One might note that if the Iraqis themselves had felt that way, we wouldn't have had to invade to get rid of him ourselves. Apparently, they didn't.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Better to be alive under Saddam Hussein than lying in some cold grave. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The people had no ability to over throw him. Outside intervention was the only way.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Better to be alive under Saddam Hussein than lying in some cold grave. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Outside intervention was the only way."

From the Iraqi civilians perspective (the ones living under Saddam's reign that are now dead), or from the outside superpowers perspective? Who gets to make that call?

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: Better to be alive under Saddam Hussein than lying in some cold grave. [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From anyone's perspective. Tibbs is right - the Iraqis couldn't have gotten rid of Saddam by themselves. The failed rebellions demonstrated that pretty well.

Now whether outside forces should have invaded can be debated day and night (oh wait, it already has been).

My views have changed because I now see how bad our intligence is. I loose no sleep about what we are doing in Iraq. Like i have said a million times I regret leaving the military and would gladly give my life over there. It's just with the brilliant gift of hindsight I see that we really don't know what's going on and if I could travel time I would say don't do it.

The problem I have is I supported the war in the begining so even though I now think it was a BAD move I can't just jump ship and talk bullshit. During my entire military career out threat briefings talked about Iraq's WMD. Everyone thought the same. I was brief by British, French and Turkish intel officers that all said the same thing. Saddam has WMDs. Bush 1 told us that he had them, Clinton told me he had them, Bush 2 said he had them and they all agreed it was a serouis threat.

Everyone was wrong. I was wrong but all that matters what we do now. 'Why' no longers matters.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: Better to be alive under Saddam Hussein than lying in some cold grave. [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]after that the weapons inspectors said they could not find any WMD[/quote]

Part of the problem was that Saddam and the Iraqi government were not playing by the UN rules, so there was no way for the inspectors to do the jobs as thoroughly as they were supposed to. Therefore, the Iraqis gave us all the pretext we needed at the time "The UN inspectors can't find anything b/c the Iraqis aren't following the rules."
That + terrible intel + the groupthink mentality that much of the world had: "Iraq has WMD" allowed us to go in with a clear conscience (at least from an Executive Branch perspective).

under-trained and over-tapered. . . .yet still hopeful . . . does that make me an optimist or a masochist?
Quote Reply
Re: Better to be alive under Saddam Hussein than lying in some cold grave. [el fuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess these 300,000 people never got that choice---

http://www.nytimes.com/...d=print&position=
Quote Reply

Prev Next