Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Discovery Channel special on the Pope.
Quote | Reply
Wow. There was a great special on him on discovery channel, if you have a chance to watch it, I highly recommend it.

I've always admired the Pope because I share a certain concern for social and economic justice with him.

But I didn't realize just exactly how powerful he was and all the things he accomplished as the Pope. Even though I'm an agnostic, I would be honored to call that man my leader.
Quote Reply
Re: Discovery Channel special on the Pope. [el fuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched it with tremendous interest. Absolutely fascinating.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched it also. He's a man of a lot of contradictions.

I'm curious who they will elect next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw it and found it to be interesting.

There was a piece that aired prior to JP II's that went over Papal history that was equally as good. The most interesting Pope to me was Paul VI. On the way to becoming the most popular Pope of time then did a 180 and reaffirmed the church's position on birth control which didn't go over well in the late 60's. The once booming Catholic church in terms of numbers quickly dwindled in numbers over this decision.
Quote Reply
Re: Discovery Channel special on the Pope. [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The once booming Catholic church in terms of numbers quickly dwindled in numbers over this decision.

The idea that reaffirming Catholic teaching is what led to the current state of affairs in the Church is just flat wrong. It's every bit as wrong as saying that we don't have enough priests because women can't be ordained. It's ridiculous.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Discovery Channel special on the Pope. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you offer a theory as to why the numbers dwindled in the United States at this time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What major event in the Catholic Church did the decline in numbers follow?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pope Paul VI's encyclical Humanae Vitae.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. Humanae Vitae was, as you say, merely a reaffirmation of the Church's teaching.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you saying that Humanae Vitae wasn't a major event in the history of the Catholic Church?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you saying that Humanae Vitae wasn't a major event in the history of the Catholic Church?

I suppose any definitive statement of teaching can, in a sense, be considered a major event, but yes, I'm saying that Humanae Vitae wasn't nearly as big an event as the one I'm talking about was, in terms of it's impact on the Church.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What event are you thinking of if it isn't HV?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on, Brian. If someone were to spring a pop quiz on you right now, and the only question on it was "What was the biggest event in the Catholic Church in the past 50 years?" what would your answer be?

I do NOT grade on a curve.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No more Latin Mass?

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vatican II.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There ya go.

Quote Reply