Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

References - how am I going to do this?
Quote | Reply
So I'm currently working for a large company (Company A) and am looking to make a move to another city for family/life-balance reasons. In the end, this will result in finding a new job and switching companies (Company "B"). The concern I have is that I've been working with Company A for the past 7 years and have some great people to use as references...but how do I ask someone to be my reference to go job-shopping who works for company "A" as I try to get a job with "B"?
Quote Reply
Re: References - how am I going to do this? [T-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just be honest with them.

Tell them "Hey, I'm looking for another job to accommodate my growing family, to be closer to my family, etc. I've enjoyed my time here and was curious if you would you be willing to be one of my professional references? I'd greatly appreciate it."

Give them the reasons why you're looking to move and, if it's a legitimate one, I think they'd be more than willing to help you out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you definitely moving or do you have to find a job first? There's two ways you can look at this. If you are moving regardless, then I bet it would be best to be open with your co-workers at Company A. I'm sure they would support your choice and make it easy for you.

The other thing to think about is that most hiring companies won't do a reference/background check until after they think you'll be a good fit. Tell Company B that you will supply references from your most recent position once they are at that point (they may not ask for them until that point).

It's a tricky situation but unless you are burning the company you are currently working for then I am sure they will back you in your decision.
Quote Reply
Re: References - how am I going to do this? [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I wouldn't call it a full-on burn, but both my wife and I are working for this company and are rather well regarded. We are both in hard-to-fill positions and there is a bit of a "well screw you then" attitude with some upper-management folks if we were to be upfront on leaving the company without a fall-back plan. Obviously, those aren't the people that we will be asking to be references. :)

It will be a tricky situation for sure, and landing a new job is the key to the move. Nothing is set in stone, but it is time for a change and I wanted to have an attack plan.

Thanks for the responses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely tell any of the new companies that you are interviewing with about your situation and if they are truly interested in you then they will understand.

I've owned 4 businesses for almost 10 years now and it is a highly competitive industry, it is very common for us to interview someone that needs the situation to remain confidential. When we are interested in making an offer, we simply tell that person that we will make them an offer as long as their references check out. This can still be a bit risky for the person interviewing because the comp. plan and details may not work for them.

Good Luck with the job hunt. What area are you moving to?
Quote Reply
Re: References - how am I going to do this? [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currently working/living in Northern Alberta working for Big-Oil and looking to move to Vancouver.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just thought of something... Do you use Linked In? Maybe you could get some of your current and former employers/colleagues to give you recommendations to 'fill out' your Linked In profile... You can request them electronically so easier to maybe avoid the difficult questions

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: References - how am I going to do this? [Muh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muh wrote:
Just thought of something... Do you use Linked In? Maybe you could get some of your current and former employers/colleagues to give you recommendations to 'fill out' your Linked In profile... You can request them electronically so easier to maybe avoid the difficult questions

This is a great solution; recruiters commonly pull recommendations off of LinkedIn for their hiring managers. These recommendations can easily be copied and pasted into a document to send with your CV.
Quote Reply