Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Nov. 28 Edition
Quote | Reply
How was it?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 28 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a rough week because I was on school vacation from Tuesday onward. I'm not a huge fan of full week vacations - too much unstructured time and that makes me anxious. I structured it as best as I could: on Tuesday I did work for my summer camp. On Wednesday I pawed through most of a book. On Thursday/Friday I did a bunch of homework. Saturday I actually ventured out with my wetsuit and boogey board, and that was fun - I wish I'd done that Wed. when we got to the beach cottage :P we drove home that afternoon. Yesterday I did some schoolwork and some reading. Eating was 4/7 though and 3 days with issues is not so good.
I wish I had brought my bike to the beach. It was way warm down there and I could have played mini training camp. Oh well... I learned some things should we go back to the beach for Thanksgiving.

One troublesome thing was finding a cool dress in a magazine, looking it up online, and finding the website is from an expensive designer so I saw all these pictures of runway models. Totally triggering... I love that version of thin.

I can't wait to settle back into school :D

I didn't make training goals because I knew I'd be traveling. I did get to check out a different Y, and that was fun. Workouts
M - 3.9 mi + 4000 yds
T - 5.9 mi + 4200 yds
W - 12 mi
T - 5 mi
F - 10.2 mi + 3000 yds
S - 6.2 mi + 1300 yds
S - 6.7 mi

Hip exercises M,T, Sun. Shoulder exercises Sun. Totals 12,500 yds swim + 50 mi run.

Goals for this week -- finish powerpoint for thesis defense (which is next Monday). Practice my talk at least 3 times. Hips/Shoulder exercises at least 3 times. Swim 4x, try to get the 9.4k I need to hit 50k for the month in the next three days, focus = faster 500 time. Running takes care of itself.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tigerchik - you did great. Thanksgiving is hard. Now we're back to our schedules, it'll be easier.

I did ok for the week. It was a taper week - which is always hard for me. I like the training so much more than the events. And because from Tuesday on, my kids were in town, I didn't get any swimming in : - (

Monday - off
Tuesday Run 9 miles
Wednesday Run 5 a.m., bike 1 hour p.m.
Thursday bike 1 hour, wake up my kids, take them to the running trail and ran 8 miles.
Friday run 5 miles
Saturday bike 1 hour, run 8 miles
Sunday run 13.1 miles (not a 1/2) - legs tired. Not a good sign for the marathon.

Total
run 48 miles, should have been closer to 40
bike 3 hours - wanted 4
Swim - none - wanted at least 2.

This week:
run 6 on tuesday and 7 and wednesday and then off until marathon
bike - off
Swim - I'd really like 3-4. We'll see.

Have a great week everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 28 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and I got my 36 sessions in for the challenge, which is good since my working out this week will decrease substantially.
Tigerchik - I know you got yours in for November. Good luck w your swimming challenge. You'll have no problem hitting your mark for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that in taper weeks you can't really go by how your legs feel. IE don't worry about them not feeling great.

Marathon is Sat. or Sun.? Have a good week and a great race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After two weekends of travel, I finally got back outside on the bike Sat/Sun, plus did indoor workouts on Tue/Thurs/Fri. And lifted once.

It's looking like I am moving to Nashville, TN sometime in 2012, so the rest of the week was spent dealing with that.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marathon is on Sunday. It looks like weather in the 40's - perfect, overcast - perfect, but maybe some rain - not perfect but doable.

I'm still babying my hamstring - it is feeling slightly better. It'll be the limiting factor. I was hoping to run a 3:15, but maybe now closer to 3:30, and wait for my A race to be Boston. We'll see. Anyway, I want to have fun, and come out of it injury free (or at least not make existing injuries worse). Send positive vibes my way Sunday morning if you think about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trackie clm - well done on getting back to the bike. We'd love to hear about your progress. It looks like I'm going to be getting some swimming advise from Tigerchik, and now you'll be the one I ask questions to about the bike.

Nashville is a nice place. Are you excited about the move?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope the hamstring heals over the course of the taper.

I swam 2400 yds this am but would need to swim 7k tomorrow to hit 50k. Not happening!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took most of November off after my big race at the end of October. Been gradually shifting back into gear. While I'm sure my body and mind needed the break, it is amazing how much fitness is lost and how quickly. I feel tired all the time now, and I have all these little aches and pains. Goals for this week are run 6x, swim 3x, bike 3x, home exercises 5x.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam 2400 yds this am but would need to swim 7k tomorrow to hit 50k. Not happening![/quote]

I'm in awe of your swimming. You're still "da man" in my book!
Last edited by: nad: Nov 29, 11 8:43
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 28 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Took most of November off after my big race at the end of October. Been gradually shifting back into gear. While I'm sure my body and mind needed the break, it is amazing how much fitness is lost and how quickly. I feel tired all the time now, and I have all these little aches and pains. Goals for this week are run 6x, swim 3x, bike 3x, home exercises 5x.

I think a break each year is a must!!! You'll be surprised at how fast your fitness comes back.
I'm taking a smallish break after my marathon on Sunday, and then a month break after IM TX in May. I can't wait - already looking fwd to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
trackie clm - well done on getting back to the bike. We'd love to hear about your progress. It looks like I'm going to be getting some swimming advise from Tigerchik, and now you'll be the one I ask questions to about the bike.

Nashville is a nice place. Are you excited about the move?

Thank you.

No, I am not excited about the move at all. In fact, I'm fairly angry about it and would prefer not to move. But I also prefer not to go have to find a new job. So I'm in a bit of a hard place.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 28 Edition [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trust your gut on this Cathy. If you really don't like the city, then the job ain't going to change that. Can you go for a fixed period of time? Say 1yr (or less)? I assume this is with your current firm, right? What other options exist locally that you could explore? If you don't go, your job in SF is gone, correct?

Sounds like a sucky position to be in :-(

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 28 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
Trust your gut on this Cathy. If you really don't like the city, then the job ain't going to change that. Can you go for a fixed period of time? Say 1yr (or less)? I assume this is with your current firm, right? What other options exist locally that you could explore? If you don't go, your job in SF is gone, correct?

Sounds like a sucky position to be in :-(

AP

Yes, current firm and it's a no move, no job situation. If I go, I have to go for a minimum of 1 year or pay back the relo. A lot will depend on who else in my department goes. It's looking like a good 80% of people affected (over all the offices and departments) will NOT be going.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the 4th swim in today.
Dress rehearsal of thesis defense went well yesterday.
Looking forward to a light weekend! There's stuff I COULD do... like PhD school apps. - I want a break though :P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job on the swimming!!! I haven't seen the pool in 1.5 weeks. Next week I need to get back on track.

My marathon this weekend looks cold and wet. I talked to my neighbor (a former elite marathon runner) and decided w/ current injuries and that I want to make Boston the goal marathon, that I'm just going to treat this like a long run. That decision really took some pressure off, and less worry about the hamstring breaking and walking the last 10 miles.

Have a great weekend everyone. Stay warm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I hope the hamstring heals over the course of the taper.

I swam 2400 yds this am but would need to swim 7k tomorrow to hit 50k. Not happening!

If anyone could do it, it would be you. You rock that chlorine girl!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply