Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Papal Possibilities
Quote | Reply
Here's a list of some top possibilities to replace the Pope, from The Washington Post:

Francis Arinze of Nigeria

As a convert and a citizen of a country where about half the people are Muslim, Arinze had special qualifications for the job Pope John Paul II gave him in 1985, head of the Vatican body now known as the Pontifical Council for Inter-Religious Dialogue. It is in this role as ambassador to other faiths that he is largely known outside Nigeria and the Vatican today.

At a time of perceived confrontation between Christianity and Islam, electors in Rome might view his interfaith channels of communication as a useful attribute for a pope. And, being an African, he may be viewed in more neutral terms by non-Westerners than a European pope would be. | Full Profile

Claudio Hummes of Brazil

Hummes's views often mirrored those of Pope John Paul II, who named him a cardinal in 2001, and people in Brazil who are close to Hummes suggest he would provide continuity if called to Rome.

Today, at age 70, Hummes heads the archdiocese of Latin America's largest city, Sao Paulo, and is known informally as the spiritual guide of Brazil, the world's most populous Catholic country. Many Brazilians know him simply as Dom Claudio. | Full Profile

Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga of Honduras

Rodriguez Maradiaga, who turned 62 in December, could draw votes in Rome because he represents the growing number and power of Latin American Catholics. In addition, he's respected by conservatives and reformers alike, and many in the church see him as a potential bridge between the groups.

On many issues he is more flexible than many of his peers in Latin America, where conservative Catholicism is standard. But on issues of sexuality, his public statements have followed John Paul's conservative line. | Full Profile

Joseph Ratzinger of Germany

In 1981, John Paul II appointed Ratzinger to his current post as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the Vatican's guardian of orthodoxy. The pontiff has on occasion referred to Ratzinger as his "trustworthy friend."

Until last year, Ratzinger's age seemed to be a hindrance to a serious candidacy. Now 77, he is two years older than the retirement age for bishops, yet the pope asked him to stay on, with no age limit. With some Vatican officials discussing an essentially transitional pope to follow John Paul -- a successor whose tenure would be relatively short -- Ratzinger suddenly became an oft-mentioned candidate. | Full Profile

Christoph Schoenborn of Austria

Uniting Christendom's myriad sects was a major goal of Pope John Paul II, and if the cardinals gathering in Rome to replace the late pontiff continue to see it as a major mission, Vienna's Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn will be a strong candidate.

But he won't be in the running if the electors decide against someone who might last as long as John Paul II, who reigned for more than a quarter-century. | Full Profile

Diogini Tettamanzi of Italy

Cardinal Diogini Tettamanzi rocketed to the head of the list of Italian papabili, or potential popes, in 2002 when he was named archbishop of Milan, Italy's largest diocese. At 70, he would be the right age for a not-too-short, not-too-long papacy that some commentators think is a criterion that will guide the voting.

He represents continuity with many of the policies of Pope John Paul II, having helped write several encyclicals during the late pope's reign. | Full Profile
Quote Reply
Re: Papal Possibilities [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And here's a synopsis of the process:

When a Pope Dies The death of a pope puts into motion a formal, age-old process that includes certifying his death, arranging for the body to lie in state, organizing a funeral and preparing for the election of a successor. The pope's chief of staff, or camerlengo, is in charge of all arrangements.
THE MOURNING The camerlengo:

1. Ceremonially verifies the pope's death by calling out his baptismal name three times. If there is no response, a death certificate is authorized and the event is made public by notifying the cardinal vicar for the Diocese of Rome, currently Cardinal Camillo Ruini.

2. Locks the papal desk, supervises the cutting of telephone lines, locks the pope's private apartment and seals the doors with red ribbons. Prepares for the funeral, to be held within four to six days of the pope's death, and the nine-day period of mourning.

3. Arranges for the breaking of the papal seal and the pope's ring, known as "the ring of the fisherman." These items are unique to each pope and are buried with him.

THE INTERREGNUM The period between the pope's death and the election of his successor is called the interregnum.
THE CONCLAVE Election of the new pope is the prerogative of the College of Cardinals, who meet within 15 to 20 days in the Sistine Chapel to choose his successor from among their number by secret ballot. Only Cardinals under the age of 80 are eligible to vote. Their ballots are read aloud and tallied. The votes of at least two-thirds of the eligible cardinals present plus one are required for a candidate to be named pope. If 30 rounds of balloting fail to produce a successor, the cardinals may agree to accept a simple majority, half of those present plus one. (Pope John Paul II was elected after eight votes that took two days.)
THE ANNOUNCEMENT With each unsuccessful vote, the cardinals release black smoke through a chimney visible from Saint Peter's Basilica. When the College of Cardinals has elected a new pope, white smoke is released to announce that a new pope has been chosen.

SOURCES: Christopher M. Bellitto, http://www.catholic-pages.com, http://www.Vatican.va | The Washington Post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've watched alot of interviews surrounding the possible replacements of John Paul II.

Interesting to note that there have never been back to back successions of "conservative" popes.

Many think the next pope will concentrate on Catholicism at the hometown church level. Reaching out and supporting local ministries and asking of parishoners "what can Rome do for you."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An African Pope would kick ass!!! I would join just for that.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Papal Possibilities [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read (above) and heard on TV (Fox, CBS and MSNBC) a few times about the short-term "transitionary" Pope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is like trying to pick the winner of the The Master's Tournament out of any five you want to select before hand. You will almost always get it wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He reminds me of Emperor Palpatine....

Am I mistaken or was Pope John Paul II the first non-Italian Pope? Is it likely the next will also be non-Italian?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Papal Possibilities [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was the first non Italian in something like 500 yrs. I'd be personally surprised if we see two non Italians in a row although we probably won't have to wait another 500 yrs to see the next one.
Quote Reply
Re: Papal Possibilities [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Jewish Pope would be just what the world needs.

Quote Reply
Re: Papal Possibilities [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoever it is, they get to pick their own Pope name, right?

I'd like to suggest Pope George Ringo.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Papal Possibilities [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I need to be Pope. Pope Tibbs. I like that. "Pope Tibb's has made stripping ok for nuns."

Quote Reply
Re: Papal Possibilities [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting to note that there have never been back to back successions of "conservative" popes.

uhhh. . . . ???

I'm not even entirely sure what you mean by a "conservative" pope, and I don't think the assertion that a "conservative" pope has never been succeeded by another "conservative" can be backed up in any case.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Papal Possibilities [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was the first non Italian in something like 500 yrs. I'd be personally surprised if we see two non Italians in a row although we probably won't have to wait another 500 yrs to see the next one.
____________________________________________________________________ John Paul was reported to be selected over Italians , for his linguistic skills , leadership abilities - His WWII time in Poland - coming up from a rough childhood and loss of his parents at a young age.

At the time of his selection none of the Italians had the knowledge or broad verbal skills.

An African or South American Pope maybe a good selection. Any american Pope would be a long shot ,as they dislike our war power / police of the world status.
Last edited by: Helitech: Apr 4, 05 5:03
Quote Reply