Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: i've located dubya's ss plan!! [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm old enough to remember the reports our government spun out annually about the progress in Viet Nam. The art of spin is not new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not disputing any facts here, what I'm saying is that information is contextual. You cannot take it out of its context and have it be truly meaningful. When the context is changed, which changes the meaning that readers will infer from the information, that is akin to propaganda.

Remember the word propaganda has basically the same meaning as "information" - it has such a negative connotation solely due to the Nazis and their very deliberate use of propaganda - taking information and packaging it in such a way, placing it in a specific context, to give it a certain meaning.

I'm not necessarily disputing the information you list, not the information el Fuser lists either, I think both sets of information are interesting and are valid in their own ways. What I am concerned with is the context in which that information is presented to people - the tone, the background information, the specific word choices, etc. - all contribute to your personal interpretation of that information. You place that information against your value heirarchy and either accept it/believe it or do not.

When a government presents information to its people in a manner that is meant to be very limited, very much linked to one specific value set, that is meant to be "read a certain way" - particularly when it plays upon people's baser emotions and instincts, that I call propaganda.

AP
Quote Reply
Re: i've located dubya's ss plan!! [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, if you're gonna answer for someone else, you really should actually ANSWER the question. You guys are a riot. We all know that there are two sides to the issue.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: i've located dubya's ss plan!! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think that propaganda to a certain extent is minimized due to technology and the access that the media has to global conflict?

I pose this question because in wars past media access was strictly limited by the government and military. Like it or not the media has access to squad level operations as they happen instead of action reports and news conferences after the fact.

News can certainly be cut and pasted as the author wishes...it all depends on what image or message they wish to convey.
Quote Reply
Re: i've located dubya's ss plan!! [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, that's a really good question, along the lines of the medium is the message and such...

I would like to believe that we'd be seeing more independence in media and reporting, but I think the opposit is occuring, I think with the amalgamation and consolidation of media companies world wide, that we get a real homogenization of information.

And it doesn't help that governments routinely produce "news clips" type videos for tv stations to broadcast for free - why not, saves them $$!!!
Quote Reply
Re: i've located dubya's ss plan!! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any true news service that publishes "unbiased" news?

I tune into the BBC for an international perspective. Occasionally the Jim Lehrer news on PBS. They may be the most unbiased source but these days it's hard to tell what the true news is...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Still can't stand that things are going better in Iraq can you?"

It aint' over until it's over. Nobody really knows how things are really going over there. Anybody who remembers Viet Nam will agree because a lot of government lies were fed to the public then. The truth will not be known until the last American troop leaves the country because then it'll be up to the Iraqui people to decide. Democracy may last there, and hopefully it will, but democracy can also be a fragile thing. Time will tell.
Quote Reply
Re: i've located dubya's ss plan!! [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
YES!!!!!!

(when asked if the stuff he posted represented a balanced view of the situation in Iraq)

Well, you have demonstrated that your head is firmly buried in the sand, or somewhere more dark. The stuff you posted, while perhaps factually correct, is uniformly positive, and gives the appearance that "all is well". And everyone knows that isn't the case. Bad things happen over there, people are killed, many places have electricity for only hours per day, insurgents (or former insurgents) are infiltrating the police and army, the true number of fully trained Iraqi police is far smaller than the number that "have received training" and the list goes on.

You won't find anyone who says that things are uniformly negative in Iraq, because that isn't true. None of us who disapproved of the Iraq invasion from the beginning doubt that the removal of Hussein is a good thing, and that the US forces (I won't bother to call them a coalition) have accomplished much in the past two years.

You, however, will admit to no such balance of good and bad in Iraq. I, for one, will no longer participate in any dialogue with someone who wears such rose-colored glasses. Carry on, soldier.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: i've located dubya's ss plan!! [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You, however, will admit to no such balance of good and bad in Iraq. I, for one, will no longer participate in any dialogue with someone who wears such rose-colored glasses. Carry on, soldier."

Once again you chose to only read what you want. From my previous post in this thread.

"I admitted all is not great and they aren't perfect but we are on the right track."

Those are not rose colored glasses my friend. I guess you look at the glass as 1/2 empty and I look at it 1/2 full. Oh well. Your dismissed.
Last edited by: armytriguy: Apr 5, 05 7:29
Quote Reply

Prev Next