Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Not a Nomad?
Quote | Reply
After saying that he really wasn't cut out for the nomadic life of most college basketball coaches, and that he would be happy staying at Willwauke-Wisconsin for the rest of his career, Bruce Pearl was announced as the new head coach at Tennessee yesterday.

Can't we trust anyone anymore ;-)

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Not a Nomad? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a lot of sympathy for college and pro coaches. It's got to be a pretty darn stressful job - you have players that don't produce and it's your ass that's getting fired. I think I'd do or say just about anything to make sure I have a job in that field.

Bruce Pearl ... the same guy that tried to "do the right thing" by taping private phone conversations with Deion Thomas (C, verbally committed to Iowa, then signed with Illinois). Since when is illegally taping private phone conversations "doing the right thing"?

Whenever coaches and players talk about job security or where they'd like to go (or stay), just listen to what they say and assume the opposite.

"I want to finish my career here" ... really means ... I'm outta here when someone offers more money or prestige.

Most coaches and athletes say they are all about family, and then lead daily lives and a lifestyle that calls for them to be away from their family more than average ... and the average is away from their family quite a bit.

So, If Pearl has any success at Tennessee ... he will then "reluctantly" take a higher paying, more prestigious SEC basketball job or "if luck be a lady" .... a head coaching job in the ACC, where his career will be squashed by the Dukes, Carolinas, Wake Forests of the conference, he'll lose his job and take a job at UNC-Charlotte, where he will be "glad to finish the rest of his career" ... until UNC-Charlotte reaches the sweet 16, and better job offers start rolling in. It's the nature of the beast, I don't see why coaches/players just are not honest about it.

Just once I'd like to hear an athlete say in response to the question of "So, will you be returning to 'Home Team' again next year?" with te response of "if they pay me more than any other team". Let's just put the childish word play aside and get down to it.h

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Not a Nomad? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a nomad, but he is a scumbag - of course, I'm an Illini fan and there is no love lost for Bruce "the liar/cheater/[insert derogatory term]" Pearl. ;-)

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply