Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Any labrador retriever owners here? [tri dpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri dpt wrote:
Wow, this was a really great thread.

I was surprised to hear about not running much with them until they are approximately 1 year old...I assume they can still play fetch and everything, just don't run them more than ~5 miles or so?

We have a 3 year old lab we got as a puppy. From what I recall from my research (not an expert by any means), too much running too early can potentially either cause (or maybe just make worse) hip dysplasia. We lost a dog early when I was a kid due to hip dysplasia so I've been hyper vigilant about it.

He can run with us now, but he is way too easily distracted to take him more than a mile or two. We also have a lab/golden mix we got as a rescue. He can easily run 4 or 5 miles and loves it. I think its their individual personality more than anything to do with their breed.
Quote Reply
Re: Any labrador retriever owners here? [rpoulin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took our yellow lab to a local festival this past weekend where there was an Air Dogs (dock diving) competition. Every time one of the handlers threw a toy/float down the platform and into the water, our dog lurched (hard) from the viewing area to chase it down. Every. Time.

He got one good jump in from three attempts. Once in the water, he wanted to swim around & relax. Didn't want to get out.

A couple (smaller) dogs were jumping 27+ feet. Crazy.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Any labrador retriever owners here? [tri dpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most breeders and vets say 1.5 years old before labs should start running with you. Up until then they can run and play on their own or shorter runs/hikes with you on trails and off leash if possible.

I'd check the AKC website for breeders or vets sometimes can help you.

The one piece of advice I'll give you is don't listen to everyone who says your new lab will be 100 lbs. I did and fed him like he would be 100lbs as an adult and ended up with a 100 lb 1 year old lab. Then I put him on a diet and he's 72 lbs. Most people think he looks too skinny, but my vet says he's on the high end of a good weight. He's 4 years old and good for 5-7 mile runs a few times a week. The other days he gets 3-4 miles and some swims plus a lot of fetch in a field.
Quote Reply
Re: Any labrador retriever owners here? [JClishe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say Labs are the best running dogs. We have a 9 year old English lab but have had him since he was 12 weeks old. He is the best in terms of family dog, being around kids and as an activity partner, but for pure running you may be a tad disappointed. My dog does really well in the trails, we have about 15 miles of trails behind our house and I run with him there off leash all the time. He does wonder away from me but ALWAYS finds me down trail. Same on when I mtn bike, he follows me most of the time.

Road running has been a bit more of a challenge as I always keep him on leash on the road, which doesn't allow for him to roam while I run. He likes to sniff out scent so although he wants to run he can't help but put his nose to the ground, shrub, tree, etc.

Like people they have to build their endurance. Labs will want to stay somewhat close to their owners, it's in their nature, so if you take off on a 10 mile run at 6 minute pace he/she will try to stay with you, but won't be able to. You'll find the dog under a tree searching for cold ground. That said we've built up the dogs endurance to be able to run 10+ miles in the trails, especially in cooler weather (we have 4 seasons here).

I would say labs are amazing family dogs and very good activity dogs, especially when young, but if you want a dog to run every day with you it may not be the best. We (two young kids included) could never see ourselves without a lab!
Quote Reply
Re: Any labrador retriever owners here? [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimdc wrote:
I wouldn't say Labs are the best running dogs. We have a 9 year old English lab but have had him since he was 12 weeks old. He is the best in terms of family dog, being around kids and as an activity partner, but for pure running you may be a tad disappointed. My dog does really well in the trails, we have about 15 miles of trails behind our house and I run with him there off leash all the time. He does wonder away from me but ALWAYS finds me down trail. Same on when I mtn bike, he follows me most of the time.

Road running has been a bit more of a challenge as I always keep him on leash on the road, which doesn't allow for him to roam while I run. He likes to sniff out scent so although he wants to run he can't help but put his nose to the ground, shrub, tree, etc.

Like people they have to build their endurance. Labs will want to stay somewhat close to their owners, it's in their nature, so if you take off on a 10 mile run at 6 minute pace he/she will try to stay with you, but won't be able to. You'll find the dog under a tree searching for cold ground. That said we've built up the dogs endurance to be able to run 10+ miles in the trails, especially in cooler weather (we have 4 seasons here).

I would say labs are amazing family dogs and very good activity dogs, especially when young, but if you want a dog to run every day with you it may not be the best. We (two young kids included) could never see ourselves without a lab!
I agree with most of this but it also depends on how you train them. You need to work with them early so they are used to jogging on leash and staying by your side. Otherwise yeah, it's zigzag and sniffing and exploring things.

My mom ran many years with her lab, in the 3-7 mile range, several days a week. Sometimes she'd run a track workout early in the morning and let the dog off leash to chase birds in the middle. They are high energy so they need to do something, whether that's jog / walk or just out playing.

I will say this was in a cool weather state and I agree with other posters that you don't want to run them in hot weather.
Quote Reply

Prev Next