Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Guys - Why do you wear a swim cap in the pool? [Sparks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have much hair to worry about but I do wear it in the winter months because I am just too cold and my pool keeps the water on cooler side. So I wear one just to keep me warm. Sometimes I take it off mid way through my swim.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Guys - Why do you wear a swim cap in the pool? [fitzoffire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fitzoffire wrote:
...hair holds a lot of water, which it tries to deposit into my open mouth every time I turn to breathe. The cap holds no water, so i get no water running down my cheek, save for the tiny bit that clings to the cap, which doesn't interfere with my breathing.

^^^This^^^

ETA: This would apply mostly in the winter. In summer I keep my hair high and tight, and find I don't really need a cap.
Last edited by: mcclelland: Mar 17, 17 6:58
Quote Reply
Re: Guys - Why do you wear a swim cap in the pool? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Find different goggles or a better strap, unless you are in a mass start OWS/Tri, that's a silly reason. My Swedes work best with only one strap and rubber nose piece vs string...$2.75 and I've been wearing them for ten years (save for a few strap changes). Tempo trainer is a better reason, but you need to learn to swim by feel - that's what the sport is all about! Yes, I'm a purist...

I never wore a cap...I'd rather shave my head (and I did) than feel like a grape in a vice. Can't stand it. My hair was absolute shite in college, but I wore a hat like 90% of the time, so in my 18-22 y/o mind, it didn't f'ing matter. I did a lot of OWS as well, and unless the temp was below 65, I didn't wear one either.

Buy better shampoo & conditioner (real key right there), free yourself of the temperature-increasing, head-squeezing, emasculating cap.

I'm pretty sure realAB can swim by feel just fine. Dude is pretty fast.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'm good. As for feel. Yes I swim by feel when I race. I consistently place in the FINA Masters Top 10. Last year at 39 I was 6th in the 800m Free with 8.56.90.

My program is working just fine. At 40 I'm aiming for sub 17 for the 1500, 4:45 400IM and 2:10 in 200 Fly at our Provincial Meet April 8-9. I race in 8 days for a 1 day masters meet. Target for the 400 Free is 4:16 and 200 IM is to beat the 2:15.99 I did in November. It will depend on how much recovery time is in between.

I use swedes or Arena Cobra Ultra for goggles.

Been a competitive swimmer since 1985.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Guys - Why do you wear a swim cap in the pool? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always cap, always Sweedes strap under.

Been doing it this way for the latter half of my almost 25 years as a swimmer, no plan on changing now.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Guys - Why do you wear a swim cap in the pool? [Joshawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear because I get water in my ears bad, the cap helps to keep it out for most of the swim. also goggles don't slip as much on a rubber/latex or whatever its made out of compared to the hair on my head.
Quote Reply
Re: Guys - Why do you wear a swim cap in the pool? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How loud is the tempo trainer? We used to use an underwater speaker and it was brutal. Coach didn't understand the how water affects sound...still don't know how you can wear a cap for 2 or however many hours. I feel like my head is getting squeezed in a vice.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Guys - Why do you wear a swim cap in the pool? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're under the impression that I look at people's profile's and post history ;)

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Guys - Why do you wear a swim cap in the pool? [ITRIhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ITRIhard wrote:
I wear because I get water in my ears bad, the cap helps to keep it out for most of the swim. also goggles don't slip as much on a rubber/latex or whatever its made out of compared to the hair on my head.

Why not just use earplugs?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Just don't put on your cap and goggles in the change room. On deck is fine.

Why not?

I always do that. It's one less thing to do before I take off my warm up jacket, wave to the crowd, do the Phelps triple slap then jump in for warm up every practice.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a weird tendency to lift my head too why when I don't wear one. So I put one on. Also I find the begging of the swim or long swims colder without it, and maybe it protects my hair at least a little bit. Plus in my head I look like a pro!

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Guys - Why do you wear a swim cap in the pool? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the cap protect hair form the chemicals, your hairs still gets wet when you wear a cap.
Quote Reply
Re: Guys - Why do you wear a swim cap in the pool? [Stevie G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stevie G wrote:
How does the cap protect hair form the chemicals, your hairs still gets wet when you wear a cap.

With a cap, your hair doesn't get nearly as saturated by chemicals. And if you wet your hair in shower and then put cap on, pool water won't absorb into hair as much. I wear a cap because otherwise my hair gets super dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its not loud. I use it in pace mode 99% of the tine so it beeps every 25. I am really liking the moulded race cap I bought before my last meet. It holds shape without wrinkles.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Guys - Why do you wear a swim cap in the pool? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dome caps are dope.

I was under the impression that a tempo trainer was for stroke rate. I get it now.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warmth, warmth, and warmth. I'm 135 when waterlogged and I run cold. Plus, I can't swim so I don't get the motor running all that hot.
Quote Reply
Re: Guys - Why do you wear a swim cap in the pool? [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't.
Quote Reply
Re: Guys - Why do you wear a swim cap in the pool? [MB2713] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How else would ever know that I am a 70.3 IRONMAN? I have even been known to strut the 5150 cap. To show my age, experience and wisdom, I will even break out the USTS Hilton Head cap on special occasions.
Quote Reply

Prev Next