Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training through pregnancy?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any experience training through a pregnancy? If so, can you describe what your training was like? My husband and I are planning to have our second baby and I am not sure what how to approach training during this time. For my first child my doctor said "no training at all" so I took two years off and then returned to triathlons after my first was 1 year old. I found this way too difficult, and would like suggestions as to how to try to maintain your fitness as best as possible through this time. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Training through pregnancy? [tri_a_lot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on baby #2 !! There's a number of previous posts on this particular topic if you type in some key phrases into the search field, recently there was a post about running and pregnancy.

It would also depend upon what you are 'training' for, and what you hope to accomplish. With my Dr's approval, I ran a 1/2 marathon at 12 weeks but it was a good 30+ minutes slower than my average time. At 18 weeks I ran a 10K, but again, 30+ mins slower than my average time. At 19 weeks I ran the 4 mile run portion of a triathlon (30 mins slower).

At 31 weeks, I still 'work-out' with 30+ min swims, yoga classes, waddle (aka run) / walks and indoor biking (I was highly discouraged from outdoor cycling from the beginning but I know other women in here that biked outside for the first few months). I also keep my doctor well informed of my work-out schedule each visit and how I'm feeling while working out (aches, pains, tenderness).

Just remember to listen to your body and listen to your doctor.
Quote Reply
Re: Training through pregnancy? [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did you alter your training before getting pregnant (assuming all was planned)? My hubby and I are going to start trying for the first. I am recovering from my A race for the next 2-4 weeks but there are still events 2+ months out that I'd like to do while we're trying (was told it can take ~ 8months to happen). I realize I can't train as hard as I usually do but am not sure how much to dial it down.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Training through pregnancy? [trigeek5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trigeek5 - best of luck to you and your honey ! I think it took us about 8-9 months worth of trying before it finally happened.

We started trying in spring, so that summer I didn't compete in many longer distances - focused on getting faster in with shorter distances. So, my workouts changed from quantity (time) vs. quality (intensity). My week night work outs were typically 60-75 mins, and the weekend workouts were 90-100 mins max.

When the fall/winter hit, we got a little bit more serious in our trying efforts (I typically gain 2-4 lbs - which might have factored into the end result of getting prego too) - and note that my workouts are more about staying fit in the winter and not 'training'. Instead of just 'getting it on' when we felt like it - I now started to track my cycle and fertile dates with the help of online resources and fertility calculators.

Sha-zaam, and than it happened one magical cold winter's Friday night in February - of course I didn't fully figure this out until March. But when the doctor asked when I thought my conception date was.... there was no doubt in my mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Training through pregnancy? [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're serious about trying (or just understanding more about our crazy bodies generally) look into Taking Charge of Your Fertility, a really, really great book. I consider myself fairly in tuned to my body, but when I read this I had so many AHA! moments it wasn't even funny. I actually recommend it to women who are trying to conceive and others who are trying NOT to conceive - the methods for recognizing when you are fertile and when you aren't are really helpful for knowing when you can go without a goalie and when you've got to have that extra protection. And I'll tout the benefits of acupuncture here as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Training through pregnancy? [Bellytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will go for this - though the title I have is "Taking Charge" - was given to me by a friend who thought she might not be able to have kids, went to treatments, read the book and wham, within a few months... I use it as a how not to get preggo and like the above poster, I thought I knew my body and read this and light bulbs went off!

Just a quick question - husband and I are thinking next spring for trying for sprogs - but did any of you compete while up the duff? I have a friend who did 10Ks up until she was 22 weeks and with tri season in the summer... Would a sprint or oly be bad in June at a say 8-12 weeks? I live in Japan and basically the doctors here tell you to sit in a chair, quit your job and become useless (and not gain more than 7-9 kilo or they tell you to diet) so I won't be trusting them on anything related to pregnancy or raising kids.... I have also read recently that the heart rate above 140 thing is crap advice as well. Reading posts on here help me think I don't have to give everything up - weight training, running, swimming... but doctors here and the little women here... sigh....
Quote Reply
Re: Training through pregnancy? [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on the Depo shot for 16 years (I am now 34) before my husband and I decided it was time to get off it. About 8 months after going off it, I got pregnant. I had been bike racing pretty hard all season and doing some running/tris. I didnt know until about 4 weeks and I had been stage racing and doing some super hard criterium racing during weeks 1-3. And I did really well! I felt a little sick but almost had an 'extra gear' for racing. I did two sprint tris at 4 weeks and won them both. I was preparing for TT nationals and raced them successfully at 12 weeks. But after that it was nice to just go as I feel with no real training. I will also be doing a marathon at 16 weeks as a fun thing without really timing and allowing for walk/pee/foood breaks.

The precautions I have been taking are to always have lots of water and snacks, dont get too hot, and dont do anything that makes me feel sick. I had a bit of morning sickness but actually training everyday makes me feel better. I go at an 'as I feel' pace and sometimes that includes going hard and sometimes its a slow shuffle or spin. I also have to get up early and eat something or I will feel sick all day. As the belly grows, I will just do things that are comfortable: swimming, trainer rides or spins, weights, shuffle runs... When people are shocked that I still workout I usually tell them to read Dr. Clapp's book 'Training through your pregnancy' which says there are 3 ways: if you have been inactive your whole life, its okay to stay inactive. If you are inactive, its healthy to start exercise during your pregnancy. And if you have been active, you should stay active.
Pregnant cheetahs dont stop hunting when they are pregnant :) ha ha!
Quote Reply
Re: Training through pregnancy? [javabean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Java for that! I usually use the animal kingdom as my example when women tell they can't do anything because they are pregnant - that and um, before we would squat in the fields, have the baby and get back to work. This whole "stay in hospital for a few days, our bodies can't handle it..." is a pretty recent thing. I am sure it takes a heck of a lot out of you but the mentality here is just beyond reasonable - they tell women NOT to exercise! Glad to hear I can go for my second year in tris!
Quote Reply
Re: Training through pregnancy? [tri_a_lot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had just finished my first Ironman and hubby and I thought..ok, time to have a kid...bam, next month I was pregnant. At that point I was in super shape having just trained and completed my first Ironman. I decided not to ride outside so I wouldn't risk a crash on the bike but I did do indoor spin class 2x a week, swam with a masters group 2x a week and ran until I was around 7 months. We moved to Maine at that time and it was freezing and snowy so I stopped due to weather more than my comfort level. When I stopped running I was doing 4 miles easy 2x a week. I did do light weight lifting circuit on the morning I gave birth.
I took 4 weeks off totally after giving birth. I had a bad tear and my whole lower end was extremely uncomfortable. At 4 weeks I resumed light weight lifting and a lot of long walks pushing the stroller (about an hour walk). At 2 months post baby I was back in the water and running. Due to my tear bike riding was unbearable for another 4 months (got back on my bike at the 6 month point post baby).
I would say just do it all in moderation. I figured, if I was out of breath so was the fetus (my doc actually told me this was NOT true but I couldn't help but picture this teeny baby choking in there!).
Quote Reply